Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orion Nebula & Running Man 21/10/12

Options
  • 23-10-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Got some clear skies Sat/Sun night/morn and had planned to target M42. Managed to get 11 usable subs before the fog rolled in. This is very much a work in progress. I'd intended to get some very short exposures to fix the badly burned out core - but that's going to have to wait for the next clear moonless night. Hopefully will get many more 600s subs too.

1h50m data
    11x 600s subs
    100x darks (Dark Library)
    25x flats
    450D CG5-GT SWED80 PHDGuided
    Stacked in DSS, Tweaked in PS CS6

8114235130_fa3bac3936_b.jpg
    M42 211012 by .Tzetze., on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Wow, thats a beauty, even at this stage.

Really super pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Very nice. what kind of telescope did you use and eye piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Tzetze wrote: »
    Got some clear skies Sat/Sun night/morn and had planned to target M42. Managed to get 11 usable subs before the fog rolled in. This is very much a work in progress. I'd intended to get some very short exposures to fix the badly burned out core - but that's going to have to wait for the next clear moonless night. Hopefully will get many more 600s subs too.

1h50m data
    11x 600s subs
    100x darks (Dark Library)
    25x flats
    450D CG5-GT SWED80 PHDGuided
    Stacked in DSS, Tweaked in PS CS6

Found my new desktop background... ;)

This type of pictures is so way out of my league... thanks for posting it

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Kersh wrote: »
    Wow, thats a beauty, even at this stage.

^^ This. Nice work TzeTze!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Awesome job man.. what ISO was that at . Also What is the effective focal lent of a SWED80 scope ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Thanks a lot guys. :)
    Plug wrote: »
    Very nice. what kind of telescope did you use and eye piece?
    The scope is a semi-APO doublet refractor, 80mm aperture. Sky-watcher SW ED80 DS Pro. The camera is mounted where the eyepiece normally goes. However, to get that sort of field of view in an eyepiece, you'd want to use something in the region of 28 or 32mm.
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    Awesome job man.. what ISO was that at . Also What is the effective focal lent of a SWED80 scope ? :)
    That was ISO800. Scope is 600mm focal length.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Another top quality photo. Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Tzetze,

I don't have a scope so forgive the dumb questions, to get that pic I thought you would of needed a bigger scope, Im surprised as I thought It would of cost €€€ more.

Why didn't you go for a bigger 8 or 10 inch reflector?

And what is the view of that picture like when you are looking through the scope? Is it tiny, can you see all the detail in that photo.
    Sorry if those questions are a bit dumb, but the last time I looked through a scope i must of being around 8.

What would it look like if you used a scope in the 200/300 euro price range, would you be even able to see that part of space.

robertxxx wrote: »
    Tzetze,

I don't have a scope so forgive the dumb questions, to get that pic I thought you would of needed a bigger scope, Im surprised as I thought It would of cost €€€ more.

Why didn't you go for a bigger 8 or 10 inch reflector?

I started out with an interest in visual astronomy and picked up a second hand 10" Newtonian Reflector on a cg5 mount. It's a great setup for observing faint objects but the mount isn't suitable for using it along with the extra weight for AP. It is however, a great scope for AP on a heavier duty mount. Someday, I'll get it in action on a more permanent setup.

The photo above is a wide field of view - it's what the scope used is good at as it has a fairly short focal length - 600mm. The 10" reflector I have has a 1200mm focal length and a narrower field of view. Here's how the above target would frame with 10" scope and same camera. It doesn't fill the frame, whereas the image up top is a crop.

69638393.jpg

And what is the view of that picture like when you are looking through the scope? Is it tiny, can you see all the detail in that photo.
    Sorry if those questions are a bit dumb, but the last time I looked through a scope i must of being around 8.

What would it look like if you used a scope in the 200/300 euro price range, would you be even able to see that part of space.
    Visually, deep space objects will look nothing like the photos. You will see no colour. You'll need well dark-adapted eyes and very dark skies to pick out good detail.

For visual observing, aperture is king. Dobsonians are highly recommended for visual astronomy. Big aperture, low price. They are not suited to long exposure photography though.

[Quote=Tzetze;)
    Visually, deep space objects will look nothing like the photos. You will see no colour. You'll need well dark-adapted eyes and very dark skies to pick out good detail.
    [/Quote]

Ah that's interesting, I really thought you could see the same but smaller, less detail, and in colour!

So it's really all about the camera, long exposure stuff.

Could you post a snap shot of what it would look like if you we're just looking through the scope.

Could you take a good photo like the one above of say Saturn or is it only for deep space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Could you post a snap shot of what it would look like if you we're just looking through the scope.
    Heres a youtube video.Its an 18" scope tho....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OseEtWIki8A
    Another good page to see what could you expect to see :
    http://www.budgetastronomer.ca/index.php?page=what-can-you-see

Ah that's interesting, I really thought you could see the same but smaller, less detail, and in colour!

So it's really all about the camera, long exposure stuff.

Could you take a good photo like the one above of say Saturn or is it only for deep space.

What you can expect to see through the eyepiece. These are through the eyepiece on 8" - 12" scopes.

Planetary Imaging requires long focal length scopes with high framerate cameras (modified webcams are popular and give good results).

Tzetze wrote: »

What you can expect to see through the eyepiece. These are through the eyepiece on 8" - 12" scopes.

Planetary Imaging requires long focal length scopes with high framerate cameras (modified webcams are popular and give good results).

I feel sad looking at your first link............I was looking at getting a 8 inch scope these are with a 10 and 12 inch scope!!!

Second one give a little hope.

Cements my comment that you have top gear and great knowledge.

Advertisement