Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house - dog won't settle

• 23-10-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Well, it's just after midnight, and I'm about to put the dog out for the night in our new home. We're still in our first week here, granted, but he has the same kennel and bedding from the last house.

Although he sometimes suffers from seperation anxiety, it's been a long time since he woke us up at night. Now we cant even get to sleep with his barking, whining, and door scraping. He's a 4yo Basset Hound, so he has a really loud deep bark.

I know he'll probably eventually settle into his new place, but I'd prefer if it happened BEFORE the neighbours come around complaining!

Any ideas?

BTW, when he's indoors - even when we're not in the same room - he's relaxed as normal.

Thanks Boardies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

jagerboy wrote: »
    Well, it's just after midnight, and I'm about to put the dog out for the night in our new home. We're still in our first week here, granted, but he has the same kennel and bedding from the last house.

Although he sometimes suffers from seperation anxiety, it's been a long time since he woke us up at night. Now we cant even get to sleep with his barking, whining, and door scraping. He's a 4yo Basset Hound, so he has a really loud deep bark.

I know he'll probably eventually settle into his new place, but I'd prefer if it happened BEFORE the neighbours come around complaining!

Any ideas?

BTW, when he's indoors - even when we're not in the same room - he's relaxed as normal.

Thanks Boardies!

Is he perchance being unsettled by fireworks? My boy can hear them for miles and weve just moved as well - hes been behaving oddly on walks and wont walk in certain directions (namely towards Culloville where I know theyve been letting them off). Maybe hes hearing more of them than in his previous home with you, or maybe its just an unsettling noise that adds to the unfamiliarity of the new home (sort of like the creaky floorboards in our house amd Shadows intent stare and tail wagging at thin air that, of course, is nothing for me to be concerned about :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Leave him in, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jagerboy

@ ShaShaBear Yeah, thanks for the support. Not too many fireworks after hours yet around here. But def new noises/smells/shadows to spook him. The last two nights have been much better, but it took him a while to settle.

@ andreac Don't be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

@ ShaShaBear Yeah, thanks for the support. Not too many fireworks after hours yet around here. But def new noises/smells/shadows to spook him. The last two nights have been much better, but it took him a while to settle.

They pick up on the strangest things when we move house ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Is there no way you could keep him in at night - even in the kitchen or utility room for a night or two til he settles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Whats silly about leaving your dog indoors at night? :confused: If you have him in when you are there, why the need to put him out at night, i dont understand? I can never work out why people leave their dogs outside at night when they have them in the house at all other times...

Both my dogs sleep indoors every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 candy69

it takes time to settle in. it's new to him and proberly misses his old place. we have 5 dogs and they all sleep in. maybe you could keep him in till he settels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Totally agree

andreac wrote: »
    Leave him in, problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

We leave our lab in at night. She sleeps in her outside kennel during the day when we're at work. Don't see the issue letting him sleep inside as a solution, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jagerboy

Thanks for your advice. He has settled down now.

He's just an outside dog, always has been - unless the weather is too bad, obviously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement