Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and New Media

Options
  • 23-10-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hello there,

Now I know that there really is no way of predicting how points will surge or how points will fall but do you think Journalism and New Media which fell 55 points this year to 380 rise to higher points? I ask as I got 395 last year and am very interested in doing this course so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Hi, I'm a 4th year Journalism and New Media student.

As far as points are concerned it's very hard to predict, but it's a very good course and if you have any questions I would be happy to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Thanks for the reply there.

They said they expect it to go up but with Journalism in DCU falling to 410, it's obvious that these are courses that are not interesting students that much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hey CFC4lyfe.

The best answer you'll get has already been given by Fishooks12 (especially as it includes an offer of info about the course content). Any prediction you get about whether admission points will increase or decrease will be nothing more than a baseless guess. If they "expect" it to go up, they're basing that on the same science as guessing the first colour to pop out of a bag of multicoloured skittles. Honestly, they can't have any notion - they've no information at all to make that assumption. If your school guidance counsellor is any good, he/she will have given you the following piece of advice: Find out as much as you can about the courses in which you're interested. With that knowledge, put the one you most want to do first on the preference list, followed by your second-most-desired, etc.

You can largely ignore the previous year's points when making this determination (most people will want to hold on to some element of reality and won't put a 600-point course on the list if they're likely to get 300 and that's fine but the CAO computer program doesn't care if you get your first or tenth preference - it'll offer you the highest preference for which you have the points in the first offers).

No-one knows and no-one can know right now - it'd all be completely uneducated guesswork. Entirely up to you but I suggest that you avail of Fishooks' very kind offer to answer questions about the course. It's far more useful to you than trying to predict what can't be reliably predicted:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

CFC4lyfe wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply there.

They said they expect it to go up but with Journalism in DCU falling to 410, it's obvious that these are courses that are not interesting students that much anymore.

Might be a bit more to do with the lack of job opportunities in the field. But if it's something you're passionate about that shouldn't put you off :)

Ever since 3rd year I've known that I wanted to do a journalism course. Never really knew what sort however e.g broadcasting/print. Anyways, here are a couple of questions if you'd like to answer them :)

1) How do you find the course in general? Hard, easy, do-able, practical
    2) I read that work experience is added to the course, any recommendations on where to go?
    3) Were you able to interview/work with popular journalists/radio hosts such as Ray D'Arcy or even "celebrities" such as Liam Neeson? Reason I ask is I know someone who's had the chance to do so and it would look pretty good in a portfolio that you've met these people

• Advertisement

Ever since 3rd year I've known that I wanted to do a journalism course. Never really knew what sort however e.g broadcasting/print. Anyways, here are a couple of questions if you'd like to answer them :)

1) How do you find the course in general? Hard, easy, do-able, practical
    2) I read that work experience is added to the course, any recommendations on where to go?
    3) Were you able to interview/work with popular journalists/radio hosts such as Ray D'Arcy or even "celebrities" such as Liam Neeson? Reason I ask is I know someone who's had the chance to do so and it would look pretty good in a portfolio that you've met these people

Advertisement