Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black woman set on fire by KKK

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

http://now.msn.com/sharmeka-moffitt-lousiana-woman-may-have-faked-hate-crime?
    Sharmeka Moffitt made up a story about being attacked and set on fire, according to a spokesman for Louisiana's Franklin Parish sheriff's office. Spokesman Kevin Cobb told reporters this afternoon that it looks like the 20-year-old woman set herself ablaze on Sunday night. She remains in critical condition at a hospital in Shreveport, La. Police say evidence they've uncovered indicates Moffitt wrote "KKK" and a racial slur on her car. She had said she was attacked by three men wearing white hoodies. Police understandably say Moffitt and her family still deserve prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

and thar she blows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

What with survival instinct it takes a lot to hurt yourself like that. She obviously harbors a lot of hate to override it and set herself on fire, either for herself or for those she tried to put the blame on. If it turns out that she isn't suffering from some underlying mental health issue and was calculating in her actions I wonder if she will be charged with trying to incite hatred or a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

darkdubh wrote: »
    That's what I thought from the start.There's been a few of these hoax racist attacks where it turns out the alleged victim set it up.There was a black girl in France in the 80's who claimed a bunch of skinheads forcibly shaved her head.A wheelchair bound girl in Germany who had a swastika carved into her forehead by skins and more recently a South American woman in Switzerland who said she was attacked by racists.It turned out in all cases that they'd made it up.God only knows why,probably mental issues or attention seeking.

Closer to home in this incident would be the Tawana Brawley case

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

darkdubh wrote: »
    That's what I thought from the start.There's been a few of these hoax racist attacks where it turns out the alleged victim set it up.There was a black girl in France in the 80's who claimed a bunch of skinheads forcibly shaved her head.A wheelchair bound girl in Germany who had a swastika carved into her forehead by skins and more recently a South American woman in Switzerland who said she was attacked by racists.It turned out in all cases that they'd made it up.God only knows why,probably mental issues or attention seeking.

I heard there were over 200 cases of forced transvestism involving Mr Sweeney last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Well that narrows you to the midlands alright.
    But do you live 'under the stars' as well?

What? I'm from Dublin. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

Thats horrible. Did they say why did burnt her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

but not ambiguous enough for them to refer to the three as KKK?
    kim, khloe & kourtney

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

I read an article that police said she may have burned herself.
    http://www.clarionledger.com/viewart...t|SPORTS030102

God knows what she wanted to achieve by doing that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Yeah, I just read that on SKY news

http://news.sky.com/story/1001795/woman-set-herself-on-fire-in-staged-kkk-attack
    A woman who told police she had been subjected to a racist attack in which three men set her alight and scrawled KKK on her car was lying, according to US investigators.
    "The wounds were self-inflicted," said Kyle Hanrahan, a spokesman for the FBI's Louisiana bureau.
    Sharmeka Moffitt, 20, was seriously burned in the fire and remains in a critical condition.
    She called police from a park in the town of Winnsboro on Sunday night and told them three men in white hoodies had doused her with a flammable liquid and ignited it.
    The letters KKK, for the white supremacist organisation Ku Klux Klan, and a racial slur were scrawled on her car in what appeared to be toothpaste.
    According to local media, investigators decided the burns were self-inflicted after finding Ms Moffitt's fingerprints on a cigarette lighter and lighter fluid.
    Louisiana's KATC News reported her family had issued a statement saying: "Our family is devastated to learn the circumstances surrounding our daughter's injuries.
    "While this was not the resolution we had expected, it is a resolution, and we appreciate the thorough investigation by the local and state police as well as federal agencies.
    "We are sincerely sorry for any problems this may have caused and wish to express our appreciation for the outpouring of love, prayers and support we have received from friends, acquaintances, church organisations and government officials."
    The FBI was called in to assist local authorities because the apparent attack was initially considered a possible hate crime.

She's obviously not well. I hope she recovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to local media, investigators decided the burns were self-inflicted after finding Ms Moffitt's fingerprints on a cigarette lighter and lighter fluid.
    Seems pretty clear cut that she did it herself. Maybe a suicidal cry for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

:eek: Is it?!
    God I'm thick!
    Well that narrows you to the midlands alright.
    But do you live 'under the stars' as well?
    What? I'm from Dublin. :confused:
    You purposely giving me handy zingers?

if so I likes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/10/24/police-black-woman-lied-about-kkk-setting-her-on-fire/
    Forensic evidence indicates that a 20-year woman suffering from extensive burns set herself on fire then invented a story about being doused in flammable liquid by three men who she said also wrote the initials KKK and a racial slur on her car, state police said Tuesday.

On Sunday at 8 p.m., Sharmeka Moffitt called 911 from a walking trail in Winnsboro and told authorities she had been doused in flammable liquid by three men wearing white hoodies. She suffered extensive burns on more than half her body and was taken to LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport for treatment.

After two days of investigating the case, authorities said Tuesday that the forensic evidence indicates Moffitt set herself on fire.

“The evidence does not support the statement that she was attacked by three males,” said Louisiana State Police spokeswoman Lt. Julie Lewis.

Lewis said Moffitt’s fingerprints were found on a lighter and lighter fluid recovered from the scene. Investigators also believe Moffitt used toothpaste to draw the KKK initials and racial slur on her vehicle. DNA evidence also points to Moffitt, she said.

Investigators have not been able to interview Moffitt because she remains in critical condition. Without speaking to her, it remains unclear why she might set herself on fire, Lewis said.

Police are handing the case over to the Franklin Parish District Attorney’s Office, which will decide whether to file charges against Moffitt, she said.

“I feel a hurt for the victim,” Winnsboro Police Chief Lester Thomas told a news conference Tuesday.

“Nobody knows, it could be you, it could be me, it could be one of our family members struggling like this,” added Franklin Parish Sheriff Kevin Cobb.

Several law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, began looking into the alleged attack as a possible hate crime.

You purposely giving me handy zingers?

if so I likes it.

I really must be thick.
    Either that or you're on drugs!
    I have no idea what you are on about at all! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

brummytom wrote: »
    Fucking hell.

I don't believe in the death penalty by any means, but some people don't deserve oxygen.

If these guys were on fire, I would happily supply them with more oxygen.

e: Goddamnit, should have read the thread first :(

Can't believe yer one did that to herself.
    What on earth was she thinking?
    Is she unwell or just a crazy ass b1tch?!

Advertisement