Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

End of year spike? - too much?

• 23-10-2012 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the current rush to get tax relief actually pushing the prices of some houses up way too high?

In the areas I've been looking (D3/5/7/9), there were houses sold back in March for 220 that could get 255 now.

Someone I know recently got into something of a bidding war over a house in Whitehall, and had to be dragged away at fairly bloated price for a pretty tight 3 bed semi.

That same person is still insisting on buying this year, and doesn't believe me when I say there will be way more choice and value come Feb/March.

It looks to me like a lot of people will save money in the long run, by waiting until next year, and the big winners so far, are the people who bought in Q1 2012.

Is there any reason to think house prices in 2013 won't at the very least, go back down to where they were earlier in the year, possibly lower?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

condra wrote: »

Is there any reason to think house prices in 2013 won't at the very least, go back down to where they were earlier in the year, possibly lower?

It is all about supply and demand. There has been very little housebuilding for several years. By now, in Dublin the overhang of unsold units is lifting due to positive net household formation.
    Rents have begun to rise and interest rates are relatively low. Given that prices have stopped falling, for now, means the rent is dead money argument is getting a new lease of life and the rent vs buy maths are showing more in favour of buying.
    The banks are lending to some extent so there are people with the means to buy looking for a suitable property. These are in short supply.
    After new taxes are announced in the budget and the panic to get in before the end of the tax relief subsides things may change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I paid 212 in June house a couple of doors down has just gone on the market at 340, now its in better condition on that its painted better but not to the tune of 118 maybe 10k. I reckon they'll get 300. Guess things bottomed out in SoCoDu and things have picked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dead cat bounce. Mortgage interest relief ending is generating panic and property tax will push downwards when it comes in.

Probably the best time to sell for a while though!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

mass unemployment,
    huge departure from the country of people in their 20s/30s.
    people reneging on mortgage repayments 15-20%
    mass negative equity
    harsh budget on the way
    still only secure public sector workers really getting approval!
    mortgage interest relief gone in 2012

This is def the best time to sell before xmas, because after xmas and into next year it'll be back to normal trend of 10-12% drop. Double dip every economy has gone through it when they are in freefall!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about there, but yeah, it looks like there will be some houses sold for well over the odds in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

condra wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about there, but yeah, it looks like there will be some houses sold for well over the odds in the next few weeks.

If so, can you take note of their asking prices now and then compare to their actual sale prices on the property register when they appear? Handy to have some proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

discriminate.jpg

Advertisement