Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 9 to 5 falacy

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

I think how much you enjoy your job will determine how quickly the day passes for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I love flexible working hours. I get up at 8:30 but work ~11:00 til ~7:00 depending. I get time to enjoy a coffee in the morning, browse and doss about, then have a gentlemanly cycle in to work, avoiding most of the traffic. In essense; suck it. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    I think how much you enjoy your job will determine how quickly the day passes for you

I find the busier I am the faster the day goes for me. It's rare I get the chance for clock watching tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

people get home around 6, allot get home at half 6. youve been up since 7 and working 9 to 5. then on top of that you dont like your job, its an obligation. that weighs on you and your not going to be artisticaly productive or able to commit to things that take more than a couple of hours as you have to be thinkin of getting home to get to bed so you can be up the next day.

the point is it isnt just 9 to 5 it is almost your whole life. i dont work im in college now but im wondering what im heading into and whats the point if it sucks as bad as it seems and you just work to stay alive and stay alive just to work. seems like a crazy way to spend your only life.

How do you propose people make a living in that case? What makes you so sure that everyone working 9-5 has such a rubbish life?

Your posts in this thread remind me of this: http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/uktechgirl/campion/fatherted_dougalsbrain.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Don't worry Internet Hero, everything gets worse, the job won't seem so bad when you long for the release of death with every waking hour.

Now smile and carry on. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

alot of people work 9 to 5 jobs 5 days a week and dont enjoy there work. But the thing is a 9 to 5 job takes up your whole life, not just the hours if work. Outside of sleep work commute and preparing for it you have about 50 hours a week of life at the most.

you have to be up at 7 or something to get in on time so you cant stay up late or go out. you get home tired and have not much energy for something else, or maybe you have one thing you can fit in like gym or a film but the its late again and you have to be ready for next day.

a 9 to 5 takes your life. Faust got a better deal. you work to stay alive so you can work. working a 9 to 5 to life job in something you dont like is a self imposed prison sentence. or maybe not cos you have to do it no choice, life just isnt as good as people told you as a child, get over it?

F*CK OFF HIPSTER.

Mod note: User banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

i dont have a job im studying and have plenty of time off and live near college so I have time to enjoy relaxed walks nice meals late at night cinema trips and having no strict routine. I am just Lookin at the future and thinkin how a 9 to 5 is the end of all of that and my life would be a long drawn out misery if that happened. even the 10% of time you had free would be lived with the weight if the 90% misery hangin over it. don't want that
    sort of agree with you, but if you do somthing you actually really enjoy, somtimes not working is the dull bit of the day. I get a buzz from what I do, mostly, no two days are ever the same or even similar and I get to meet a lot of interesting people, buy a lot of interesting stuff. It is to me anyway.:) I actually love my work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I do 9 to 5 but people are forever over in irish economy forum saying i should be working longer.. harsh bunch them lot.. they want my pay cut too or preferable that i get the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Agree to a point,i get up at 6 20 and into work for 7.work til 6.30,sometimes later.dont really like my job and may Have to consider a shake up at some stage as i work too hard. You're attitude annoys me tho, is it a modern thing that everyone has is expected to like a rock star lifestyle the time without worrying about The funding of said lifes?
    our lifestyles have to be funded some how and the somehow is usually boring,unfullfilling labour.it seems that there's very little respect for people who commit to the daily grind and just get on with it.
    The way i look at it is the harder i work the better my free time feels!free time seems to have a diminishing returns anyway,and if you dont believe that Just ask one of the long term unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭JD Green

OP you seem like a pure thick cunt, no offense
    Offense fully intended

Mod note: User banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I've been wondering myself lately how people do 40 hours and feel like they've got a life outside work. Getting paid for it, I wouldn't need the money. I'd rather have the time. 30 hours is bordering on too much for me, but it's ok.

Thing is though, you see jobs advertised, and they're all 40 hours, I mean unless they're part time, at 20 or something. Even if you can afford to live on less, the jobs don't seem to match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im lucky in that my commute is short but nearly all jobs are the same, to an extent. You might travel a lot in your job outside the 9 to 5 norm but after a while that would get boring as well, no? Not to mention seeing the same old faces and having only a short amount of energy to do much in the evenings, its all the same really with jobs, I guess it depends on whether the positive aspects of it outweight the negative. Even a positive job is still gonna take up most of your week. Unemployment isnt the better option for me personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

JD Green wrote: »
    OP you seem like a pure thick cunt, no offense
    Offense fully intended

Yeh i may be thick but at least im not here putting others down..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

F*CK OFF HIPSTER.

i dont even know what a hipster is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

9-5 only takes up more of your life if you let it.

I leave the house at 8:45 and get home at 5:45.

If you need to leave the house at crazy hours and dont get home till late then live closer to work and quit bitchin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

sounds like a complete nightmare.
    That poster really seems to love the work though. I know others in that situation - freelance/self-employed and not always guaranteed work, but when they do, they work around the clock (guess you can't be turning business away) and they have really interesting jobs that they're passionate about and which are hobbies to them that they'd be doing unpaid in some capacity anyway. I did that myself for a while though and I hated the lack of security, structure and the anti social hours. I had a social life but it was scuppered at times and I couldn't always make plans. I can see how a person would be drained by a secure, structured 9-5 that they find unstimulating too though. After a long time, I eventually got a job that I enjoy and which interests me, plus the hours are standard, so I consider myself very blessed indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

How does it take up your whole life? you know you have the weekends off? I work shifts, up at half 6. work half 7 am till 9pm or a week of nights, you just end up sleeping during the day. Also you might have to work christmas depending on whether you had it off last year or not. Things could be a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A few very harsh replies in the last page or so. If 9 - 5 isn't your thing Internet Hero, then aim to avoid it. It's not mandatory and if you can make a living doing things your own way go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

steve9859 wrote: »
    Assume that the average person sleeps for 7 hours a night. And there are 10 days bank holiday, and 25 days annual leave

So there are 225 days of work in a year, out of 365. 61.6% of days are work days.

Say you work for 8 hours a day and travel for 2. That is 10 hours of your 17 waking hours.

That means you would be working for 36% of your time that you are not in bed in a year. Less than 3 hours in 10 if you live near the office or work your 8 hours a day from home

Personally, I don't think that that is particularly excessive. That is loads of time to do stuff....hobbies, holidays etc.

I have an office job. but certainly dont feel that I am spending the best days of my life inside. I'm out and about doing stuff every day...

While you did show your workings, you are deducted points for starting with incorrect figures.

There are 9 bank holidays in the Irish year. And I'm not sure about where you work, but anywhere I've worked, 20 days holidays is the standard, maybe rising to 21 after a number of years service.

Advertisement