Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derry makes it onto top ten cities on the planet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Merkin wrote: »
    One has to ask whether the person who compiled this list has actually been to "Dorry heh"? I sincerely doubt it...it's a total kip. The best thing about the place is the sign saying you're leaving it.
    Next stop, Muff!

Sounds like a nice place anyway.

With his user name, he'd fit in quite well.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I will never, ever trust that particular Top 10 again. I visited Darwin last year which made the list for 2012. This is some of what they had to say:
    It was once easy to dismiss Darwin as a frontier town full of brawling
    fishermen, dreamy hippies and redneck truckers. But with a pumping nocturnal scene, magical markets and restaurants, and world-class wilderness areas just down the road, today Darwin is the triumph of Australia's Top End.

This is LIES I tell you LIES...apart from the bit about the rednecks and hippies. Our first night there and we struggled to find a restaurant open at 9.30pm...the 'pumping nocturnal scene' is basically lokel yokels leching on the female backpackers. Darwin in fact shouldn't even qualify as a city...it's a rest stop for travelers looking to go somewhere else.

That said, Derry deserves to be on that list far more than Darwin ever did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Derry is the best place in the country to be on Halloween night. Ive been a couple of years, such a huge party they have there. If anyone is thinking of visiting now that its being talked about, be sure to try and make it up for this Halloween

Really? I saw a Street Wars episode a while back (I think on Dave or one of the other channels) and it showes Durry heh on Halloween night, it makes Damascus look like Funderland. Amongst all the bloodshed and people taking their lives into their own hands, it has the highest instance of people have their faces slashed with glass than anywhere else in the UK. I think I'll be giving it a miss but thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Remembering way back to my university days (early - mid eighties) and all the Derry women weemen were absolutely gorgeous! Legend had it too that there was four weemen to every man in the City itself! Throw in the Undertones, Eamon McCann and John Hume and I think Derry is great!!

Walk out Derry!! :cool:

Really? I saw a Street Wars episode a while back (I think on Dave or one of the other channels) and it showes Durry heh on Halloween night, it makes Damascus look like Funderland. Amongst all the bloodshed and people taking their lives into their own hands, it has the highest instance of people have their faces slashed with glass than anywhere else in the UK. I think I'll be giving it a miss but thanks for the tip.

:eek:
    Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Derry has the best Penneys (Primark).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Ghandee wrote: »
    Wheelers chipper on the strand road is prob what swung it for us :pac:

Yer hole, Bridies chipper all the way! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Seeing as how it's lonely planet I have to ask did the people they got the reviews from actually visit any of those places ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'd take any list that Lonely Planet compile with a pinch of salt.

Sure they claimed that The Harbour Bar in Bray was the best bar in the world FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

your talking rubbish. The program did visit Derry, but it wasn't on Halloween night. It shows the police intervening and breaking up a fight between 3 guys. A woman briefly gets involved. There was no-one injured with glass, as you mentioned. In fact there was no mention of the glass related attacks that you declared were the highest in the UK.

LINK (skip to 7:45)

By the way, that program Street Wars is sensationalist, tabloid viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

your talking rubbish. The program did visit Derry, but it wasn't on Halloween night. It shows the police intervening and breaking up a fight between 3 guys. A woman briefly gets involved. There was no-one injured with glass, as you mentioned. In fact there was no mention of the glass related attacks that you declared were the highest in the UK.

Maybe he was talking about Derry Beat where Batman thought the landrover was his batmobile

Link

Must have been another programme, my bad. It was definitely said that it has the highest instances of glassing than anywhere else. It's still a godforsaken kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Must have been another programme, my bad. It was definitely said that it has the highest instances of glassing than anywhere else. It's still a godforsaken kip.

ever there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Kiss my DerryAir! Sadly your right about the head injuries thing. Trainee surgeons from the UK etc. love getting a placement at Altnagelvin(and Belfast aswell) as they'd get more intricate head injury patients to practise on than elsewhere in the UK (Source: a UK Home Office statistician who also doubled as my degree coordinator)

ever there?

Too many times to mention unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

On my one and only visit to Derry, I was pushing a pram with my first daughter in it, as my wife and I took a tour of the Walls. we were about half an hour in Derry when a toerag in a Celtic jersey, on the opposite side of the road, picked up a rock and threw it at us, narrowly missing the pram. Now, we hadn't even seen the guy until he threw the stone, let alone spoke or other wise made any contact with him, yet this was how he chose to behave. Not one of the many allegedly friendly Dorry people within sight and sound of us made any remark.So we left and haven't been back since. Which was ten years ago. they can tow Derry out to sea and sink it, like all those U-boats years ago.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I can just picture thousands of impressionable international backpackers torpeoding the idea of visiting the seven wonders of the world for a hang-the-expense trip to the Bogside instead.

I guess that's the Lonely Planet for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I'd love to visit Derry at some stage, seems a really interesting place. Not sure why people are so incredulous, it's steeped in history. I think some people can't get their head around a top ten city not being sunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's on the list so that people can visit it and have something to tell their grandchildren. "... and after Addis Ababa I made sure I stocked up on Imodium and Anusol, before hopping on the plane to Stroke City ..."

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

jester77 wrote: »
    Here's the full list:

1. San Francisco, US
    2. Amsterdam, Netherlands
    3. Hyderabad, India
    4. Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland
    5. Beijing, China
    6. Christchurch, New Zealand
    7. Hobart, Australia
    8. Montreal, Canada
    9. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
    10. Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

A few places there I wouldn't mind visiting next year.

Congrats Derry!!!!

Been to 2, 4 and 7.

Would love to visit San Francisco :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Whoever would go somewhere because the Lonely Planet tells them to has more money than sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I can understand some of those cities being on it but surely there are better cities than derry, like vienna, berlin, prague and too many more to even keep listing. I agree with amsterdam being there though, fantastic city.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Real Life wrote: »
    I can understand some of those cities being on it but surely there are better cities than derry,
    It barely makes it in to the list of top 10 cities on this island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've heard Derry/Londonderry being referred to as Stroke City... nothing short of genius in my opinion.

Can't be. A Healy-rae doesn't represent it.
    It barely makes it in to the list of top 10 cities on this island.

I count 7 - where are you getting the other 3 from? Liverpool, Glasgow and Birmingham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

In other news: Derry launches £50000 advertisement campaign with "Lonely Planet":D

They pick 10 new cities and 10 new regions every year, the more years it runs for the "slimmer the pickings". It good to see the city getting chosen and they are going all out for the 2013 city of culture and i guarantee there will be a few events that would make even the hardest critics want to visit. They've ran a brilliant Halloween party for the last 20+ years which i've went to a couple of times, but the scumbag element in Derry is frightening, nothing is sacred, 10 year olds stoning Ambulances as they try to help a car crash victim would be par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Addis Ababa ftw

MadsL wrote: »

I count 7 - where are you getting the other 3 from? Liverpool, Glasgow and Birmingham?

Armagh
    Belfast
    Cork
    Derry
    Dublin
    Galway
    Kilkenny
    Lisburn
    Limerick
    Newry

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Derry's brill but the Strand Road on a Saturday night makes O'Connell street look like Happytown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've heard Derry/Londonderry being referred to as Stroke City... nothing short of genius in my opinion.

AKA El Derry due to some media outlets printing it as L'Derry.
    DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Well done Derry and this is coming from a Dub! Looks like I'm gonna have to try a night out there soon myself!

Make it soon, as mentioned before it's the very best place to be in Ireland for Halloween. They celebrate it like no one else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

Derry is probably the most dangerous place in the whole of Ireland north or south.

Not that long ago a man was forced to bring his own son to an undisclosed location to be kneecapped.

Plenty of bodies turning up all over the place there with their new republican grouping. Over 100 people have had to flee the city because of death threats that will be carried out. Doesnt really make many headlines in Donnybrook though so unless you read NI media you wouldnt know.

A dangerous kip.

• Advertisement

Armagh
    Belfast
    Cork
    Derry
    Dublin
    Galway
    Kilkenny
    Lisburn
    Limerick
    Newry

;)

Wow. Armagh a city eh, who paid who to get that status!

As for KK - 8,711 people: taking the piss really for it to be called a city, I'd expect any decent 3 day music festival to have a bigger population.

So, just about squeak a top ten. Well done.

Derry is probably the most dangerous place in the whole of Ireland north or south.

Not that long ago a man was forced to bring his own son to an undisclosed location to be kneecapped.

Plenty of bodies turning up all over the place there with their new republican grouping. Over 100 people have had to flee the city because of death threats that will be carried out. Doesnt really make many headlines in Donnybrook though so unless you read NI media you wouldnt know.

A dangerous kip.

What a steaming big pile of shyte.

Derry folk are doing well to keep these bodies out of the media.

I await your source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

What a steaming big pile of shyte.

Derry folk are doing well to keep these bodies out of the media.

I await your source.
    Are you denying that a father brought his son to be kneecapped because he had no choice.

Even this week, a murder victims innocent brother was told to leave the area or be killed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19974489

There has been near 100 people who have left the city due to death threats. FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

From the Independent - "The endorsement from 'Lonely Planet' -- seen as the world's leading travel authority -- has been hailed as a massive boost as Derry gears up to host the first UK City of Culture year". So just how does Derry get to be UK City of culture (2013) ahead of Edinburgh, London, Bath, Cardiff etc etc etc ???

What did Derry do to get the title for 2013?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Alright, Derry Girl here born and bread. Lived in Belfast and a few other places in Ireland and the UK and let me tell you, Derry is like Eden compared to Dublin.

I dont get offered cocaine in Mcdonalds in Derry, Nor be in fear of being mugged/assualted by Junkies like I do in Dublin or London. I have never had to watch which part of the city I speak in for fear of my accent causing me hassle (Belfast, lookin at you).
    Derry people are more than welcoming and unlike in a lot of other places, stop to help people who are injured/hurt/lost.
    Its trying its best to recover from the dark cloud of the troubles and the doom it laid on the city and the people in it - and i think its doing well. For all you posters who are full of judgement - have you been to Doire recently? Do you know theirs been a whole regeneration project with a new bridge added across the river and the old army barracks has been made into a concert site? There was also a massive gay pride parade this year... Hardly for a city full of backward bitterness now eh?

A quick google should show pictures of the city.

As for the post about the RAAD and people being kneecapped - there is some truth in that, but thats a vigilante trying to keep the drug dealers and scum off the streets and stop it falling back to what it once was. Those are not innocent people bineg hurt.

I know Derrys not perfect by any means, but Its annoying to see all you southerners judge it by what you seen during the cities darker times.

Are you denying that a father brought his son to be kneecapped because he had no choice.

Even this week, a murder victims innocent brother was told to leave the area or be killed.

There has been near 100 people who have left the city due to death threats. FACT

Theres no way on earth that brother is 'innocent'.
    FACT.

he was probably out robbing pensioners or joyriding or selling drugs to kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BusyMum12

Beautiful city.
    Haven't a notion what they're saying though :pac:

LordSutch wrote: »
    From the Independent - "The endorsement from 'Lonely Planet' -- seen as the world's leading travel authority -- has been hailed as a massive boost as Derry gears up to host the first UK City of Culture year". So just how does Derry get to be UK City of culture (2013) ahead of Edinburgh, London, Bath, Cardiff etc etc etc ???

What did Derry do to get the title for 2013?

Load of info here http://www.cityofculture2013.com/background/

I dont get offered cocaine in Mcdonalds in Derry,

Hate to disillusion you, but that is packets of artificial sweetener for the coffee.

• Advertisement

Theres no way on earth that brother is 'innocent'.
    FACT.

he was probably out robbing pensioners or joyriding or selling drugs to kids.

Ah well then.

Blow his cock & balls off.

That'll teach him.

Fucker

(Yeah, they do speak a different language)

Hate to disillusion you, but that is packets of artificial sweetener for the coffee.

The last time I was in McDonalds in Dublin this skanger woman came up, sat across from me in the booth and tried to sell me drugs. true story.

Source for the bodies that are turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Puerto Iguazu is a town not a city. the waterfalls, many kilometres outside the "city" are spectacular though. I can't imagine Christchurch being a great place to go either unless your in the construction industry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

Happy days if ****in derry can make the list even Lisburn city can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Derry is like Eden compared to Dublin.

Agreed, but just because Dublin is a worse shíthole, doesn't make Derry that much better.

• Advertisement

Ah well then.

Blow his cock & balls off.

That'll teach him.

Fucker

(Yeah, they do speak a different language)

I think your sarcasm detector needs recalibrating there Fairytalegirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

marky1905 wrote: »
    Happy days if ****in derry can make the list even Lisburn city can.
    Nah that pushing it a bit too far. Lisburn is a sinister dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Senna wrote: »
    Agreed, but just because Dublin is a worse shíthole, doesn't make Derry that much better.

Dublin isn't that bad. Its the best place to live in Ireland. Just plenty of knackers and junkies lately...

I've been planning to go to Derry for a good while. But its only to drive on that awesome looking road by the coast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not something that is going to effect the average tourist.

Derry is a nice city, loads of history, modern and ancient, plenty of stuff on next year.

Just say "whatabout ye?" to everybody and you'll be grand.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jaysis i must go to a different Derry every year.

Place is a **** hole full of knackers who love/hate us Free State bastards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement