Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derry makes it onto top ten cities on the planet!

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

Aye Lisburns a dump alright, but a lot better than dirty Derry

the birds in derry are bitchy slags allegedlly just ask nadine our martina!

Would rather spend a night in ballymoney!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Have to laugh at the people who have never visited/just passed through Derry once telling us what an unbelievable sh1thole it is.

I'll admit I'm the first to slag off Derry wans, and sometimes they make my blood boil. But the reality is, as cityfolk go, you won't get better cityfolk than the muckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I went out in Derry once for Halloween. There's no where like in the rest of the Island.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ghandee wrote: »
    Armagh
    Belfast
    Cork
    Derry
    Dublin
    Galway
    Kilkenny
    Lisburn
    Limerick
    Newry

;)

Poor Waterford didn't make it either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Poor Waterford didn't make it either :(

Oops.....

Sorry waterford, my bad. :o

I think Ballymena may be added to that list in the near future too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oops.....

Sorry waterford, my Hyderabad. :o

FYP

FYP

I've been there many times too, great spot!

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Self pity/stroke city, can't stand the place. Place is an absolute sh**hole and once you're in it you can't wait to get out.

The people of Derry are a different breed altogether. Must be something in the water up there.

Lived with a derry girl at uni, she was insufferable. Gyyyeeerrrrrlllsss, cccyyyyaaaaarrrsss, dddeeeeeerrrryyyyyy. Awful.

If we could somehow detach the place from this island and send it drifting out into the atlantic I'd be all for it.

awec wrote: »
    Self pity/stroke city, can't stand the place. Place is an absolute sh**hole and once you're in it you can't wait to get out.

The people of Derry are a different breed altogether. Must be something in the water up there.

Lived with a derry girl at uni, she was insufferable. Gyyyeeerrrrrlllsss, cccyyyyaaaaarrrsss, dddeeeeeerrrryyyyyy. Awful.

If we could somehow detach the place from this island and send it drifting out into the atlantic I'd be all for it.

So, you got rejected then eh?

Dublin might make the list next year.

So, you got rejected then eh?

Dublin might make the list next year.
    A Derry girl? I wouldn't touch a girl from there with a bargepole. :pac: :pac:

I'm not from Dublin. ;) Unfortunately I'm from much closer to Derry than Dublin. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 SiegHeilNosey

I think Derry is a fair enough shout considering the Fleadh Cheoil is there next summer. Massive cultural event.

I think Derry is a fair enough shout considering the Fleadh Cheoil is there next summer. Massive cultural event.
    I would say that the fact it's UK City of Culture next year is the reason for it's inclusion...

A Derry girl? I wouldn't touch a girl from there with a bargepole. :pac: :pac:

I'm not from Dublin. ;) Unfortunately I'm from much closer to Derry than Dublin. :(

You wouldn't ride someone based on where they come from?

Auld super cock here lol !

You wouldn't ride someone based on where they come from?

Auld super cock here lol !
    Just the "derry waaaans". As I said, different breed up there. Dangerous game that.

Ah she had a man friend at the time, some bitter deeerrrryyy lad. They were made for each other, the weirdos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I would say that the fact it's UK City of Culture next year is the reason for it's inclusion...

Most definately the main reason . . .

Londonderry/Derry - UK City of culture 2013 > http://www.cityofculture2013.com/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-10653989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Apprentice boys could march somewhere else then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

All these guide book awards are just poncey student bollocks. Like the written equivalent of two bellends shouting at each other in the students union bar about the niche locations they went to in the summer.

You can almost see them going " let's nominate Derry. Thst would be like such a totes curveball!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SiegHeilNosey

id say it definately helped alright. Between that and the Fleadh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I wonder how many of these posters b*tching about Derry would be slagging of this accolade if it featured their hometown?!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

Would never miss an opportunity to slag of my hometown, its a complete dump!! but still marginally better than derry !!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Why all the begrudgery? It isn't listed as one the best cities ever, only one to look out for because of City of Culture next year, which will hopefully transform the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

O'Neill wrote: »
    Why all the begrudgery? It isn't listed as one the best cities ever, only one to look out for because of City of Culture next year, which will hopefully transform the place.
    british city of culture

getz wrote: »
    british city of culture

UK City of Culture. Couldn't give a damn what it's called. The city hasn't had much investment over the years, so anything that might hopefully bring a bit of prosperity and make peoples lives happier can only be a good thing in my eyes!

O'Neill wrote: »
    UK City of Culture. Couldn't give a damn what it's called. The city hasn't had much investment over the years, so anything that might hopefully bring a bit of prosperity and make peoples lives happier can only be a good thing in my eyes!
    can only be a good thing,pitty there are still dissident republicans still trying to bomb it.if i had a business i would think twice before i would open it in derry,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Does anyone pay attention to any 'awards' or top 10 lists that the Lonely Planet publish?

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    can only be a good thing,pitty there are still dissident republicans still trying to bomb it.if i had a business i would think twice before i would open it in derry,

Then you're letting them win if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Been to Derry a few times certainly wouldn't want to live there,not a very nice city at all.Can't understand how it made the list.

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Been to Derry a few times certainly wouldn't want to live there,not a very nice city at all.Can't understand how it made the list.
    its a nice old city,but its more of the case it being the city of culture next year with all the things that will be going on in it, it could be a place worth a visit for tourists ,liverpool did very well out of it last time,and lets face it liverpool wasent the nicest city in england to visit

Advertisement