Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The root of the problems with Irish football

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Supporting a foreign club is sheer madness and a waste of time and money. The Premiership is all about the money mainly and not about football or the so called beautiful game, it makes me sick to the stomach and the standard of football for so called Professionals is dire most of the time. Immaturity, grow up adults! Support your own country! :)Foreign club football doesn't matter! It is only entertainment after all and unless you are getting paid by a club abroad in or affiliated with one some capacity then why bother to take it so seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You can get a trip for 100 quid all in if you book flights etc well in advance.

Don't see why people say it's too expensive tbh.

That's on the assumption your over and back on the same day. I genuinely don't see the point in that. If its a choice between Liverpool over an back on th same day or a loi game, I'd choose the Loi every time

Any games I go to, be it in England, Scotland, or Ireland, half the attraction is the craic before and after the game, so i always stay a few nights if abroad.

Using Liverpool as an example, the flights going Friday back Sunday are generally the more expensive ones, then transport to/from the airport on either side, food and drink. It's generally a few hundred pound all in all, and thats without paying for accommodation as I stay with a friend.

Going over and back on the same day just seems like such a pain in the hole. Early start, quing in the airport, the inevitable rush at some stage, followed by the same later that evening all the while going home with the thought 'wish I could have hung around for a few pints'. I genuinely wouldn't be arsed with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Des wrote: »
    That guy who is dismissing football as "too working class" - embarassing, stick to the RDS and Leinster pal.

I'd also add to that anyone who dismisses going to a game, regardless of the country, on the basis of the ground being too intimidating

I used to go to the cork home games, with the big dub head and accent on me in me cork scarf. Never had a hint of bother. I did initially feel like a Palestinian amongst israelies, but that soon passed an it was great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

This really is a never ending debate, but people can support who they want. I'm an avid Sligo Rovers supporter, have been all my life. When I was young my Dad used to bring me to all the games. I used to meet my mates there and I loved it. Unfortunately I'm not in the country anymore but still watch MNS online and stay up to stream games, when possible.

Saying that I also enjoy watching the English Premier league. It's a different beast and it's what football players at all levels aspire to. The first game I ever remember watching was a Man Utd game.

This whole we are better than you because we support a local team or I don't go to games because the standard is **** is a total BS argument. In a lot of cases people will start going to games if you give them a little push. However, I will concede that some people will never go to a LOI game.

I used to be a season ticket holder and went to all the games. My mate had never been to a game in his life, and he lived just over the road from me. One season I asked him if he wanted to come along and he did. I went through who our players were, reputations etc. Then everytime I was going I would ask him. Sometimes he did and sometimes he didn't, but eventually he became a regular and now is a season ticket holder himself.

For me supporting Sligo Rovers is deeply instilled in me. Although I'm the other side of the world, I watched the title winning game in an Internet cafe here. The game had everything, it was so exciting. Huge crowd, great football from both sides, passionate supporters, goals, and lots of talking points. We won that day and clinched our first league title in 35 years. I loved it, I was on a high. But, also it was a game that was a great advertisement for our league.

Our league has problems, but lots of leagues do. People just need to give the league a chance. If you can, check a game out.

If anybody thinks this "product" isn't worth paying 15 euro for, has no business calling themselves a football fan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Remember that series RTE showed before the Euros,It showed the LOI boom years in the late 60s/early 70s,grounds were packed,what they failed to do was use the money to put it back into the league,upgrade grounds,some grounds were left to go into ruin,we dont have a LOI team in Kerry anymore as the facilities aren't up to standard and not good enough to play in Division One,which is complete crap imo,Tralee Dynamos were in the A Championship but that league was scraped this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ares wrote: »
    I was two LOI games and to be quite frank I'd never go again.

First off the quality is second rate, really, really poor. The Oscar Traynor cup is much better to watch, local players with a real pride for where they're from battling it out to be the best in Ireland. Wonderful stuff.

The games I attended, Shels vs Drogheda and Shels vs St Pat's, I felt extremely unwelcome, as if I was tresspassing on people's territory. Maybe it has something to do with Shelbourne itself, I don't know. I understand the Shelbourne has always been a working class club, perhaps that's why there was an unwelcome feeling.

Also the quality of football in England is just so much better. Also you can go away for the weekend with your friends to a cosmopolitan English city enjoying, seeing a few tourist sites, a match and having a few beers. You just don't experience that going to Athlone on a Friday evening.

Until the LOI clubs upgrade their facilities then I don't see why people would travel to watch LOI. Why would you go 45 minutes in your car to a delapidated stadium to watch second rate action on a Friday night when one could watch a good Championship match on Sky from the comfort of your own sitting room. In reality, its an absolute no brainer.

Maybe when clubs stop going to the wall and the LOI clubs get their collective act together financially we might see some of the improvements required. Hopefully soon. As it would be a shame to have the Irish clubs continually plod around European backwaters getting knocked out in the qualifying rounds of the Europa League and Champions League.

I was gonna give this post until I seen you support Celtic? :pac:

Throws both your quality of football and definitely your working class arguments straight out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The constant berating of their own players and the referee was not enjoyable.

There were a pair of young Shelbourne fans who called me and my companion a 'pair of knáckers' because we had the temerity to ask them why they kept abusing the linesman's family.

We then spoke to a pair of men to our other side at half time and they went on a rant about the government, the foreigners and generally being ignorant and unenjoyable company.

That happened the first time. The second game wasnt particularly better so I haven't gone since. As I said before maybe its the working class element of Shelbourne that makes it unappealing.

This kind of thing is why people can't go to games. BTW, did you ever find your monocle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I honestly don't think its the quality of football that's the problem. I think the average football fan just couldn't be arsed!

Most would rather watch Sky Sports in their living room. Maybe that's a bad reflection on Irish Fans in General.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

You're most likely working class mate.

Also, if you don't like hearing the officials being abused then attending any football match isn't for you. This most certainly isn't unique to a Shels match. I don't partake in it myself but I don't let others doing it bother me either.

I'm not working class, I'd consider myself and my family to be middle class.

How and ever to address your second point, it seemed over the top at the Shels game and just not something that I want to go to again.
    Wow, just wow!

Aside from Shels matches have you even been to other matches? Berating players and the ref? Really?

Kids call you a name? Jesus!

Why did you continue listening to the pair of men? Should have just said you need to pop to the jacks.

Working class element? Christ on a bike, football for the majority was reared on lower/working classes. Even in the top levels in England they'd be "working class elements".

I understand that there are 'working class elements' in English football but thankfully the game has become more familyn friendy and that element is slowly being eroded which results in a better and more friendly place to watch football.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    I was gonna give this post until I seen you support Celtic? :pac:

Throws both your quality of football and definitely your working class arguments straight out the window.

I'm not a Celtic fan. I just hated the hypocrisy emenating from other fans last night predicting that Celtic were gonna lose by 'double figures' when they put up a heroic performance to be denied by a last kick of the ball winner.

There are a few teams I follow throughout Europe; Werder Bremen, Fulham, Atletico Madrid, Torino. I actively look for their results and try to watch their games when I get a chance but I'm more of a fan of the game itself.
    mitosis wrote: »
    This kind of thing is why people can't go to games. BTW, did you ever find your monocle?

I don't quite understand what you're getting at here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Irish fans just jump on whatever bandwagon is hot. Its simple as.

I really respect the hardcore fans who support their LOI teams. I also respect the true fans of Liverpool and Man Utd who reside in Ireland.

The problem is the ones who are in between. One part of the year they are rugby fanatics. Then they switch to golf, then boxing, then back to football (if the Euros are on and the craic is flowing).

The best of all was the Olympics with Katie Taylor. You had event junkies telling you all about Ochigava and her strengths as a fighter, none of these guys could so much as tell you where the national stadium was. Yet the tickets for her fights were the hottest property of the games. Boxing promoters were creaming themselves thinking signing Katie would lead to 20,000+ fans in ireland turning up to watch her pro career fight after fight :D

Would they f*ck? Irish fans have no interest other than turning up at the party for the ultimate high. Its the very same with the soccer.

It even extends to LOI, so im not just having a pop at premiership following clubs. So many lifelong rovers fans went to their first games in years during the Europa run.

So many Athlone town natives (10,000 in fact) turned out to see Roy Keanes Sunderland in town, when we don't even get 200 at league games.

Irish fans are consumers to the very definition. They just want to view the best quality, or what someone has drummed into them is the best quality event, and most popular. And its not going to change, because deep down the love for the actual game is not actually there. People are just seduced by the popularity and hype surrounding it.

This post is bang on the money in fairness.

I know so many fair weather fans. Most of the UK club supporters are not even passionate about their club either.

You only have to count the amount of United or Celtic jerseys you will see walking about oblivious that there is a game on.

Despite what people think, Ireland has a very small hardcore fanbase of soccer fans who actually follow their team religiously. The remainder just follow when it suits, or follow just to keep up with banter with their mates in the pub.

If its not soccer, then its whatever is popular at the moment.

I know one guy in particular, he is an absolute football anorak, his knowledge is astounding on whatever sport he decides to watch. He is an expert on football when needs be. he can bullsh*t about Tennis, Rugby, you name it.

Started off as a Liverpool fan in the late 80s/early 90s. Started following United around the time of their first league title in years. When rugby took off he started following Munster and quickly switched to being passionate in all things Leinster Rubgy when they found success.

He was adamant he couldn't stand boxing, but low and behold he was the first bloke in the queue for tickets to Katie Taylor's fights in London and was the pubs resident expert in all things boxing.

You really could not make it up. And all of it was done without any self awareness of how ficke or ridiculous it was.

Ireland is full of event junkies, not passionate fans, just event junkies.

And it mainly because we are easily fed nonsense from the press, we feed on the hype of whatever is popular and are whipped into a frenzy.

We slag off our neighbours across the water for being over the top when it comes to hype, but we are far worse.

In the UK, folk are passionate about their clubs and will follow home and away regardless of the clubs status. Its genuine passion and a feeling of belonging that Irish middle of the road fans just cannot understand, and have zero interest in understanding.

The bigger the event the more these "self professed experts" and fair weather fans crawl out of the woodwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

I was two LOI games and to be quite frank I'd never go again.

First off the quality is second rate, really, really poor. The Oscar Traynor cup is much better to watch, local players with a real pride for where they're from battling it out to be the best in Ireland. Wonderful stuff.

The games I attended, Shels vs Drogheda and Shels vs St Pat's, I felt extremely unwelcome, as if I was tresspassing on people's territory. Maybe it has something to do with Shelbourne itself, I don't know. I understand the Shelbourne has always been a working class club, perhaps that's why there was an unwelcome feeling.

Also the quality of football in England is just so much better. Also you can go away for the weekend with your friends to a cosmopolitan English city enjoying, seeing a few tourist sites, a match and having a few beers. You just don't experience that going to Athlone on a Friday evening.

Until the LOI clubs upgrade their facilities then I don't see why people would travel to watch LOI. Why would you go 45 minutes in your car to a delapidated stadium to watch second rate action on a Friday night when one could watch a good Championship match on Sky from the comfort of your own sitting room. In reality, its an absolute no brainer.

Maybe when clubs stop going to the wall and the LOI clubs get their collective act together financially we might see some of the improvements required. Hopefully soon. As it would be a shame to have the Irish clubs continually plod around European backwaters getting knocked out in the qualifying rounds of the Europa League and Champions League.

This attitude would indicate that your are not a football fan at all,most people who are really wouldnt look at going to athlone on a friday night as not glamourous,they would see it as anothwr away match. Your post just seems to point out your a tourist just looking for a few sights and to say you actually seen a match once... There is a huge difference between this attitude and actual supporters,be they from ringsend or rome...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Iv had this conversation with people so many times but Im sorry if the fai chief is getting nearly 4 times than the winning club if the domestic league you know how bad things are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

skinny90 wrote: »
    Iv had this conversation with people so many times but Im sorry if the fai chief is getting nearly 4 times than the winning club if the domestic league you know how bad things are

He needs all that cash to buy drinks for everyone.

John-Delaney-320x180.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

LiamoSail wrote: »
    That's on the assumption your over and back on the same day. I genuinely don't see the point in that. If its a choice between Liverpool over an back on th same day or a loi game, I'd choose the Loi every time

Any games I go to, be it in England, Scotland, or Ireland, half the attraction is the craic before and after the game, so i always stay a few nights if abroad.

Using Liverpool as an example, the flights going Friday back Sunday are generally the more expensive ones, then transport to/from the airport on either side, food and drink. It's generally a few hundred pound all in all, and thats without paying for accommodation as I stay with a friend.

Going over and back on the same day just seems like such a pain in the hole. Early start, quing in the airport, the inevitable rush at some stage, followed by the same later that evening all the while going home with the thought 'wish I could have hung around for a few pints'. I genuinely wouldn't be arsed with that

I do a lot of day trips, I find them very handy, drink at the airport, drink on the train, drink at the ground, have a few drinks after the game, drink at the airport, home in 50 mins and then head out for a few pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

niallo27 wrote: »
    I do a lot of day trips, I find them very handy, drink at the airport, drink on the train, drink at the ground, have a few drinks after the game, drink at the airport, home in 50 mins and then head out for a few pints.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But still, I go to watch Shelbourne play. I enjoy it, and I think if everyone went to five or six LoI games, in a row - instead of just picking one game here and there - then they'd also start to enjoy it. Learn the player's names, get to know the guy beside you, listen to the chanting, look at the flags, have a pint in the bar, start hating Shamrock Rovers.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Is Sky Sports really the stumbling block that posters are making it out to be?

Most LOI matches are played on Friday nights, most high profile games on Sky Sports are shown early Saturday and Sunday afternoons, surely there is room in the keen soccer supporter's diary for both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Most LOI matches are played on Friday nights, most high profile games on Sky Sports are shown early Saturday and Sunday afternoons, surely there is room in the keen soccer supporter's diary for both?

lol, of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

That's the thing, so called soccer supporters in this country aren't all that keen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

There are some unbelievable posters in this thread. People not attending matches in Ireland are not ruining the game, the FAI are doing that all by themselves.

limerickfc_jackman_park.jpg

Thats the ground i go to every other week and have no problem doing so. But does it look like an appealing place for a father to bring his son on a soaking wet, freezing cold Friday night? Its painfully obvious to see why that father would rather pay the extra to get on a plane and bring his son to Anfield / Old Trafford / The Emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

bullvine wrote: »
    I honestly don't think its the quality of football that's the problem. I think the average football fan just couldn't be arsed!

Most would rather watch Sky Sports in their living room. Maybe that's a bad reflection on Irish Fans in General.

+ 1

im a barstool leeds fan and watch every game and go to the pub when leeds are on tv. the only games i go to would be the ireland home games, friendlies/WC,EC qualifiers and I would not go to every ireland game !!!!

as for the LOI i've never been to one and have very little interest in it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

glenjamin wrote: »
    Going to see a bunch of part timers or watch some of the best players in the world play in the best league in world? Hmm....

I'd like to support an Irish club but it really doesn't appeal to me at all. It's not about the money it's about the entertainment that's on offer. If I had to pick going to a live LOI game or watching a Prem game on the telly then I'd pick the Prem game same as most people.

To all the people bitching about not supporting one of your own, do all these people shop in Dunnes rather Tesco? Buy Irish products rather than foreign? Holiday in Galway and not Spain? The difference, there ain't none.

To be honest if that's how you feel you shouldn't be on a soccer forum.
    The constant berating of their own players and the referee was not enjoyable. QUOTE]

Yeah that only happens in LOI :rolleyes:

Everytime a thread like this comes up the same crap is trotted out. The facilities/standard is poor, I support English team because my Dad did, the family is from the area (always Manchester or Liverpool, never Tranmere or Altrincham !!), my junior club/GAA club play same time etc etc. The list is endless and their all bollox imo. I've given up trying to change people's perceptions about LOI. I enjoy it for what it is, and those who don't go/berate it are the ones missing out.

Melion wrote: »
    There are some unbelievable posters in this thread. People not attending matches in Ireland are not ruining the game, the FAI are doing that all by themselves.

Thats the ground i go to every other week and have no problem doing so. But does it look like an appealing place for a father to bring his son on a soaking wet, freezing cold Friday night? Its painfully obvious to see why that father would rather pay the extra to get on a plane and bring his son to Anfield / Old Trafford / The Emirates.
    Gotta love that "stand":)

The father you speak of....Do you think he would be more inclined to attend if his son(s) were allowed in for free?

I think clubs should allow under 18s free admission.
    They could look on it as a long term investment as it gets people into the habit of going to games and should create some affinity with their local club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Gotta love that "stand":)

The father you speak of....Do you think he would be more inclined to attend if his son(s) were allowed in for free?

I think clubs should allow under 18s free admission.
    They could look on it as a long term investment as it gets people into the habit of going to games and should create some affinity with their local club.

lol

think about that for a minute

that idea would absolutely murder clubs, it's beyond stupid.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

lol

How would it? Surely the under 18's must make less than 10% of the supporters. I fail to see how it would cripple the clubs.

• Advertisement

lol

How would it?
    I wouldnt have it Under 18's but certainly under 15s. It gets people through the gate who in a few years will be paying to go to the match, it would create more of an atmosphere and would get kids interested in going to see their club.

It may be different in Dublin but i cant see how getting extra people at the match at no extra cost would cripple Limerick.

+ 1

im a barstool leeds fan and watch every game and go to the pub when leeds are on tv. the only games i go to would be the ireland home games, friendlies/WC,EC qualifiers and I would not go to every ireland game !!!!

as for the LOI i've never been to one and have very little interest in it tbh

I admire your honesty and lack of BS excuses.

Fair enough but in a couple of years Limerick will be in a much better ground and their current one is probably one of the worst. I don't know what you would expect a LOI club to do about the freezing cold though.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Fair enough but in a couple of years Limerick will be in a much better ground and their current one is probably one of the worst. I don't know what you would expect a LOI club to do about the freezing cold though.

They need to be in that ground next season. Shiny "new" stadium for a new season in the premier division. Theres no way they will be allowed to play top division games in Jackman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

OP, what do you mean when you say Irish football?? National team or LOI?

lol

Not stupid at all, if you look at it in a real world scenario...

Club visits Primary schools in its catchment area and informs children that they can go for free to it's home games...children excitedly tell parents who chaperone them to the game creating a family occasion.

The parents tell other parents about the surprisingly entertaining time they had in Tolka, Richmond etc, word of mouth spreads, hopefully leading to more paying bums on seats that would not be there without the free passes for the children.

All the while as I outlined earlier, the children are getting into the habit of supporting a team etc.
    They will become the season ticket holders of tomorrow.

A simple way of looking at my idea is to look at the behaviour of banks during the first week of a university term, they stalk students into opening accounts with promises of loss leading goodies because they are looking at the long term... get them young and they are more likely to stick with you long term.

I don't think its a bad idea but not under 18's, under 12 maybe. Ollie Byrne did the free child season ticket years back which was a success but tolka did feel like a creche for the less glamorous games at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was having a discussion about the LOI with a few mates the other night.

"The standard is crap", they all said, having not stepped foot into a ground for years. :rolleyes:

Every league has crap games but if you were to go to 3 or 4 games in a row instead of 3 or 4 games over the space of a few months you'd probably see more good games than bad.

Landsdowne is always full despite how shíte the national team is performing as of late. I've seen better performances at Dalymount for cheaper this season than our national side have produced in years.

Perhaps if the FAI promoted games at Landsdowne at HT/FT it'd make people aware that there is football happening around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Not stupid at all, if you look at it in a real world scenario...

Club visits Primary schools in its catchment area and informs children that they can go for free to it's home games...children excitedly tell parents who chaperone them to the game creating a family occasion.

The parents tell other parents about the surprisingly entertaining time they had in Tolka, Richmond etc, word of mouth spreads, hopefully leading to more paying bums on seats that would not be there without the free passes for the children.

All the while as I outlined earlier, the children are getting into the habit of supporting a team etc.
    They will become the season ticket holders of tomorrow.

A simple way of looking at my idea is to look at the behaviour of banks during the first week of a university term, they stalk students into opening accounts with promises of loss leading goodies because they are looking at the long term... get them young and they are more likely to stick with you long term.

Athlone Town did this for years. Went to schools all over the surronding regions.

Kids came with their dad's sure. But when it came to the crunch they didn't bother their arse for much longer. Home FAI cup ties against big teams were usually bumper crowds. But nobody apart from the small hardcore 100 or so would go to every game.

Facilities aren't the problem with Athlone either, brand new stadium, great seats/view, tea/coffee/fast food on offer.

The crux of it is people just couldn't give a sh*te basically unless its a glamour pre season friendly.

I do think its a more deep rooted issue, in that people don't actually "love" football.

Watching EPL it on TV is a bit like watching Xfactor for some people. They are consumers pure and simple, football is a form of entertainment to them, they don't actually live and breath it.

Alot of posters here don't seem to grasp that being a football supporter extends far beyond the need to be entertained. It seems people feel entitlement to be entertained aswell, thats not what being a football fan is about. The majority of irish fans tune in as its what everyone is talking about at work, its what they are reading in the papers etc....

They tune in and they latch onto Man City or United or Liverpool or whoever. But its a shallow attachment. Thats the majority in Ireland.

I have great respect for LOI loyal followers, but also would have great respect for loyal Irish based supporters of UK teams. Supporters who live and breath for their team, fans who would be so wrapped up in their club that they could tell you what the First XI will be on saturday.

But the majority of Irish "football fans" are not like this. They can take it or leave it, if the game is not exciting enough for them they are not bothered.

I know countless "fans" of UK teams who are experts in the pub but half the time they wouldn't even know their team was playing.

We are very different to the UK, you would not hear Stockport or Grimsby or Accrington fans whinging about "its too working class", "facilities are crap", "I've no link to the league", people over their love their clubs. And they genuinely love football 7 days a week, not just in the pub on a sunday.

Athlone Town did this for years. Went to schools all over the surronding regions.

Kids came with their dad's sure. But when it came to the crunch they didn't bother their arse for much longer. Home FAI cup ties against big teams were usually bumper crowds. But nobody apart from the small hardcore 100 or so would go to every game.

Facilities aren't the problem with Athlone either, brand new stadium, great seats/view, tea/coffee/fast food on offer.

The crux of it is people just couldn't give a sh*te basically unless its a glamour pre season friendly.

I do think its a more deep rooted issue, in that people don't actually "love" football.

Watching EPL it on TV is a bit like watching Xfactor for some people. They are consumers pure and simple, football is a form of entertainment to them, they don't actually live and breath it.

Alot of posters here don't seem to grasp that being a football supporter extends far beyond the need to be entertained. It seems people feel entitlement to be entertained aswell, thats not what being a football fan is about. The majority of irish fans tune in as its what everyone is talking about at work, its what they are reading in the papers etc....

They tune in and they latch onto Man City or United or Liverpool or whoever. But its a shallow attachment. Thats the majority in Ireland.

I have great respect for LOI loyal followers, but also would have great respect for loyal Irish based supporters of UK teams. Supporters who live and breath for their team, fans who would be so wrapped up in their club that they could tell you what the First XI will be on saturday.

But the majority of Irish "football fans" are not like this. They can take it or leave it, if the game is not exciting enough for them they are not bothered.

I know countless "fans" of UK teams who are experts in the pub but half the time they wouldn't even know their team was playing.

We are very different to the UK, you would not hear Stockport or Grimsby or Accrington fans whinging about "its too working class", "facilities are crap", "I've no link to the league", people over their love their clubs. And they genuinely love football 7 days a week, not just in the pub on a sunday.

Spot on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Alot of posters here don't seem to grasp that being a football supporter extends far beyond the need to be entertained. It seems people feel entitlement to be entertained aswell, thats not what being a football fan is about. The majority of irish fans tune in as its what everyone is talking about at work, its what they are reading in the papers etc".

Couldn't agree more with some of the sentiments in this post. The x Factor comparison is actually fairly accurate in a lot of cases. These dedicated fans are on Facebook making stupid comments during a match instead of just watching the game.

A lot of the time it's just for water cooler talk, in my opinion.

The waft of snobbery in here is over-powering.

The waft of snobbery in here is over-powering.

Whats exactly snobby about it?

Whats exactly snobby about it?

Comparing people watching football on TV every weekend to people sitting down to watch X Factor just so they have something to talk about at work? What makes the LOI fan more knowledgable than the average joe who watches matches on TV?

What about people like me who go to Limerick games but still watches every single Liverpool match on TV and who tries to get over to Anfield on a semi-regular basis(havent been to Liverpool since this day last year, oddly enough)?

• Advertisement

Comparing people watching football on TV every weekend to people sitting down to watch X Factor just so they have something to talk about at work? What makes the LOI fan more knowledgable than the average joe who watches matches on TV?

What about people like me who go to Limerick games but still watches every single Liverpool match on TV and who tries to get over to Anfield on a semi-regular basis(havent been to Liverpool since this day last year, oddly enough)?

Personally wouldn't say you fall into the category comprising the majority (those who have no real love for football). If you read what I said I was not having a pop at EPL followers who are actually genuinely passionate about their clubs.

You don't have to spend a fortune to have genuine love for your team either. The bandwagon jumpers probably spend more on the beer and infrequent trips abroad when theres a major tournament/ Piss up to be had at a generic weekend trip to wherever their mates team is playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

like this. They can take it or leave it, if the game is not exciting enough for them they are not bothered.

See I'd have a complete opposite view to yourself. I don't need any affinity/connection with a club to enjoy watching football like many seem to. I've supported Milan from a young age but always seek out the best game from whatever league on a given matchday because I genuinely love the game more so than any club. The LOI doesn't come anywhere near my radar(and it's quite a broad radar).

This contradicts my support of the national team but I don't actually ever enjoy watching them play, it's a life sentence of pain basically, I don't need any more of that in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I think all LOI fans I know would also seek to watch the best games they can as well when they're not at a game. Nothing comes close to following your team week in week out.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I think all LOI fans I know would also seek to watch the best games they can as well when they're not at a game. Nothing comes close to following your team week in week out.

Id consider Liverpool to be my team, not Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Liverpool and Limerick. Thats a lot of crosses for one man to bear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As I said previously, most clubs and players are volenteers/part timers so time is an issue, at Shels we're trying to get about this mind you, but it would take a much bigger push from the FAI.
    That_Guy wrote: »

Perhaps if the FAI promoted games at Landsdowne at HT/FT it'd make people aware that there is football happening around the country.

Do you honestly think diehard Leinster fan Mary from Greystones who goes to Oirish games would give a crap what's happening in the LoI? There's so many people like that, have no interest in football but sure it's Oireland we "have to support them"!

Well it's not far off, you're watching both for entertainment, you're listening to a bulid up before hand, commentary in between and then analyse afterwards, and you generally bulid your opinion from what the "experts" have said rather than your own 100% opinion.

Well it's not far off, you're watching both for entertainment, you're listening to a bulid up before hand, commentary in between and then analyse afterwards, and you generally bulid your opinion from what the "experts" have said rather than your own 100% opinion.

I'm not even going to dignify this absolute rubbish with a response, Jesus ****ing christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Of course it's never soaking wet or freezing in Manchester

gustavo wrote: »

I would imagine the covered stands would help with the rain, jackman park doesn't have that. That was my point

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

gustavo wrote: »

That's why they have those plastic jackets down the front at the Etihad (Emirates too maybe), to keep the sun off.

Advertisement