Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voyager: To the Final Frontier

Options
  • 23-10-2012 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd post as there might be some interest.

The maths that made Voyager possible

"Nasa's Voyager spacecraft have enthralled everyone with their exploits at the edge of the Solar System, but their launch in 1977 was only possible because of some clever maths and the persistence of a PhD student who worked out how to slingshot probes into deep space."

the programme is being boradcast on BBC Four on Wednesday 24 October, 2012 @ 9pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

There is a page "Voyager nears solar systems edge..." :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056120060
    but still well worth posting on the math. I think the concept of slingshoting was around for a good while, but using it risky, getting a craft out there was tough enough nevermind deciding, "Hey lets send it around the sun like a comet".

Would like to see, but got rid of the TV, middleband too slow for live-content.

Advertisement