Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to quit new job after a few months - would I be mad?

Options
  • 23-10-2012 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi there

I started a new job a couple of months ago after being at a previous role for about 3 and a half years. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, ranging from the recruiter spinning me a load of sh*t about the job spec, a complete lack of management structure, feeling excluded from decision-making, the company having temporary offices in the middle of nowhere, and my co-worker being a gruff, dictatorial, obnoxious jerk, I want out.

I pretty much knew after the first couple of days that the job wasn't for me, but I persevered on advice of friends and family, to get a better and fairer picture of the company and how good a fit I was for it and vice versa. I've tried to ignore the annoying stuff and remember why I took the job, which was to gain experience in an area i had never worked before, but I'm pretty much alternating between ending the day feeling OK about it, and ending another day feeling crap and dreading coming in the next morning. I also put a mental deadline in my head of 6 months where I'd have enough experience to hand in my notice and apply for a new job, and I'm counting down the days and weeks till that time arrives.

If there weren't any consequences, I'd hand in my notice immediately and walk away. However, I feel that two months professional experience may not be enough to put on a CV, and if I did, may raise questions during interviews, so I'm not sure what to do. I could always go back to the specialty I was working in before, but I did nearly four years of that and felt it was time for a change, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to how to proceed, and if I'd be at a serious disadvantage if I quit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Hi Pushpop,

I am in a similar situation myself, but am now 12 months in the job and hating every minute of it.

I have been looking for jobs for the past 11 months but there is nothing suitable and I do not want to take the first vacancy that comes along and end up in teh same situation again.

Do not quit before you get another job. Just keep telling yourself that the job that you are in is not longterm and start ignoring the crap. I know its hard, but it would look bad on your CV if you only have a few months worked and then walked. It would be difficult for HR in another company to overlook this and the view may be taken that you would walk away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

Hi Pushpop,

I am in a similar situation myself, but am now 12 months in the job and hating every minute of it.

I have been looking for jobs for the past 11 months but there is nothing suitable and I do not want to take the first vacancy that comes along and end up in teh same situation again.

Do not quit before you get another job. Just keep telling yourself that the job that you are in is not longterm and start ignoring the crap. I know its hard, but it would look bad on your CV if you only have a few months worked and then walked. It would be difficult for HR in another company to overlook this and the view may be taken that you would walk away again.

Sorry to hear that! 12 months is an awfully long time to be spending 8 hours a day doing something you hate. I'm trying to avoid that scenario ideally but I understand your advice. I reckon that if I were to get a new job, it'd be better done by getting it through someone I know where I can carefully explain what's going on.

I mean, this sort of thing must happen all the time and HR people take it into account. As I said, I was at my last job for nearly 4 years, and the job before that I only left because of redundancy, so I'm not a job hopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Probably better to leave early than to stick it out for 18 months-2 years if going nowhere. I was in my previous job to now for ~5 months, because I wasn't happy. I'll need to do about 24 months in my current role before I could move again, but 1 blip on a CV can be explained. 2-3 months you are still feeling out the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pushpop wrote: »
    Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, ranging from the recruiter spinning me a load of sh*t about the job spec, a complete lack of management structure, feeling excluded from decision-making, the company having temporary offices in the middle of nowhere, and my co-worker being a gruff, dictatorial, obnoxious jerk, I want out.
    If you're asked in an interview why are you leaving your current job, mention the bit about the inaccuracies in the job spec, and the company location. They are both misinformation given to you by the recruiter. Do not mention the co-worker, and complaining about the bad management wouldn't be a good idea either.

Also, as said, a short gap in your CV can be explained off, and it's better for your mental health!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

Thanks for all the advice folks. I suppose I'll keep looking for alternative jobs. The two things that are putting me off are (a) handing in my notice and (b) explaining it to a new employer. I also sort of feel I'd be copping out if I did quit after such a short space of time, but then 8 hrs every day is a long time to spend in somewhere you don't feel happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was the same OP. Miserable from the place - again job spec in the interview didn't really match what the role is. Leaving on Wednesday after 3 months :D. I just got to the stage where I decided I needed to listen to myself and not try and keep everyone else happy. Had an interview yesterday for a great company and the recruiter there told me to just say it was a fixed term contract if it comes up in interviews - I work in IT so not that unusual. Really hope I get the job - i interviewed there a few months ago and missed out by a few points then this position came up and they called me so fingers crossed!!

Advertisement