Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this cat breed.

• 23-10-2012 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

535883_10151264457563554_1113672154_n.jpg

This male tomcat turns up at our door every now and again.

He looks like a bit of a special breed to be feral anyone know what breed he is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Zambia wrote: »

This male tomcat turns up at our door every now and again.

He looks like a bit of a special breed to be feral anyone know what breed he is?

He looks a little like a British Shorthair : http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/cat_breeds/british-shorthair-cat.htm...
    He's a gorgeous chap, even though he's clearly a stray. Will he allow you near him? Are you feeding him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Shenshen wrote: »
    He looks a little like a British Shorthair : http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/cat_breeds/british-shorthair-cat.htm...
    He's a gorgeous chap, even though he's clearly a stray. Will he allow you near him? Are you feeding him?

That describes him to to a tee. What makes you say he is clearly stray?

He does indeed we reckon he was once looked after as he is not that bothered by us.

We have fed him a few times its part of a larger plan as I am planning to pop him off to the local vet to have him scanned for a microchip*. This might get him back to his owner if he ever had one.

* All registered pets in Victoria should have a Microchip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Looks like a cross breed of a British short hair or an exotic short hair. He looks grumpy!

Hes very affectionate. We have three cats and he has fitted in with them.

They are all female (Spade)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Zambia wrote: »
    That describes him to to a tee. What makes you say he is clearly stray?

He does indeed we reckon he was once looked after as he is not that bothered by us.

We have fed him a few times its part of a larger plan as I am planning to pop him off to the local vet to have him scanned for a microchip*. This might get him back to his owner if he ever had one.

* All registered pets in Victoria should have a Microchip.

It might be the picture, but he does look a little on the filthy side (the front paws in particular). Usually, that can be a sign that the cat is a stray as it cannot spend as much time grooming as a pet would.

You're right that it's unusual for a cat that looks like a breed rather than your run-off-the-mill moggie to be a stray, but I don't think it's unheard of.
    One of ours, who showed up at our back door about 3 years back and adopted us nearly right away, is a long haired cat. We're not sure what he is exactly, could be just a cross between a long haired cat and a house cat, but he does have some features that seem to suggest Maine Coon.
    We've no idea where he came from, he wasn't neutered or microchipped, and none of the neighbours could shed any light either.

I'm hoping your chappie will be reunited with his owners. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

He's a fine looking cat. I hope you find his owners. You never know what's happened to them to bring them to your door.

Well I bought him to the RSPCA today. They agreed he was indeed a British blue or British shorthair cross. He did not have a microchip so is either stray or a pet that was never microchipped.

Hopefully someone adopts the guy before cat Season kicks in full swing. I reckon the chances are good considering he is such good looking cat.

Taking into account the relatively low cost of microchip I don't see why everyone doesn't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

First thing which popped into my head

cat%20breeds%20v%20dog%20breeds(1).jpg

Advertisement