Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONEGAL’S FAMOUS WEATHERMAN PREDICTS SNOW BEFORE CHRISTMAS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Joe Public wrote: »
    Return to sender - wrong address - no such forecast.

I've been reminded. A bad weather forecast was published and seemingly mentioned the postie and indeed our own MTC as sources where in fact neither forecast such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes - Mark Twain

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Postman Micheal Gallagher was on News Talk at lunch time today, giving his winter forecast.

Check out the pod cast

Go to the LUNCHTIME SHOW -- PART 2 -- TIME 16:00

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenbacks/popup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Postman Micheal Gallagher was on News Talk at lunch time today, giving his winter forecast.

Check out the pod cast

Go to the LUNCHTIME SHOW -- PART 2 -- TIME 16:00

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenbacks/popup

Still talking about the berries :D

I have a tree outside in my garden last year it has lots of berries. The birds never touched them and they just fell off the tree in the spring. This year there are few berries but the birds won't leave it alone. There were 5 or 6 birds picking it clean over the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Lucreto wrote: »
    This year there are few berries but the birds won't leave it alone. There were 5 or 6 birds picking it clean over the day.

Those 5 or 6 birds obviously know SNOWmageddon is on its way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Senna wrote: »
    Those 5 or 6 birds obviously know SNOWmageddon is on its way.

Or just greedy ****ers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Who's in da house? The Robins in da house. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Larbre34 wrote: »

Has anyone ever read an articile where a betting shop increases odds on a white Christmas :rolleyes: same old rubbish every year.

Bookies cut the odds on a white Christmas as if the odds weren't miserly enough to begin with :mad:.

I guess it's just more free shamless advertising for that shower.

The masses will lap it up of course, i'm sure i'll be told today by some expert that "They're" giving a white Christmas :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Has anyone ever read an articile where a betting shop increases odds on a white Christmas :rolleyes: same old rubbish every year.

Bookies cut the odds on a white Christmas as if the odds weren't miserly enough to begin with :mad:.

I guess it's just more free shamless advertising for that shower.

The masses will lap it up of course, i'm sure i'll be told today by some expert that "They're" giving a white Christmas :o

Keep your money mate No White Christmas this year in these parts anyway.

• Advertisement

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Keep your money mate No White Christmas this year in these parts anyway.

No danger me backing a white Christmas, never saw one in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Honestly cannot believe this thread is on its 9th page...

tumblr_m6p56tXvtX1r91g01.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Honestly cannot believe this thread is on its 9th page...

You should use 40 posts per page, makes everything easier!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

two years ago the garden was very productive , , birds feeding heavily - nasty winter

last year , not so good , not many birds - warm winter

this year much larger , biggest yield ever , loads of birds - ive never seen so many berries

the birds are fattening up , im certainly getting prepared for a bad one .

at least after december , it will be a nasty winter , and maybe even before january.

white Christmas, never saw one in my life.

How long has this been? And where?

I was born in 1954, flat 8 inner city Cork, spent my first night in a drawer. As I was growing up we seemed to have colder winters, did not like them as a child and certainly did not like the bullying and snowballs in the face having to travel through rival gang territory to mass, we were a strictly hostile religious family and not even snowdrifts would stop us plodding our way to services.

58 winters, I guess ten were what one would call a White Christmas # but I'd consider Christmas to be at least Eve, Day, The Day After

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I think he has an amazing talent of which does not seem to be recognized by the general consensus.....

I think he has an amazing talent of which does not seem to be recognized by the general consensus.....

I think you are wrong on both counts.

Firstly there are many, many, far toooooo many posts analysing his predictions which say he's hedge betting, so he is not really that good at reading the signs, and he certainly is not alone in reading the signs, been doing it myself since I was a child growing up during the summers in Carlow.

Appreciated, he is by thousands, he was responsible for nearly closing down Donegal last year, that's how appreciative he is taken, that's massive TBH.

gbee wrote: »
    How long has this been? And where?

I was born in 1954, flat 8 inner city Cork, spent my first night in a drawer. As I was growing up we seemed to have colder winters, did not like them as a child and certainly did not like the bullying and snowballs in the face having to travel through rival gang territory to mass, we were a strictly hostile religious family and not even snowdrifts would stop us plodding our way to services.

58 winters, I guess ten were what one would call a White Christmas # but I'd consider Christmas to be at least Eve, Day, The Day After

I was born in 70's, Father was born in 1950 never saw one either. I'm Waterford/Kilkenny area. Both fans of extreme weather and have never seen snow fall on Christmas day. Had freezing rain at -3 back in 2009 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Firstly there are many, many, far toooooo many posts analysing his predictions which say he's hedge betting, so he is not really that good at reading the signs, and he certainly is not alone in reading the signs, been doing it myself since I was a child growing up during the summers in Carlow.

Appreciated, he is by thousands, he was responsible for nearly closing down Donegal last year, that's how appreciative he is taken, that's massive TBH.

Have to disagree, i live within 8 miles of our esteemed postman and i believe people are interested in his prediction but certainly only as a side issue to what is reported on mainstream media. He certainly isn't taken serious enough to nearly close down Donegal, or, maybe i just travel in the wrong circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

talkabout wrote: »

Have to disagree, i live within 8 miles of our esteemed postman and i believe people are interested in his prediction but certainly only as a side issue to what is reported on mainstream media. He certainly isn't taken serious enough to nearly close down Donegal, or, maybe i just travel in the wrong circles.

Donegal nearly is a given each year for snow so he is just stating the obvious imo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Donegal nearly is a given each year for snow so he is just stating the obvious imo

Plenty of that. I bet there ain't too many posties in Waterford with the same interests either. :)

Still he was a brave man to call the milds in October 2011 and he was proven correct.

You should read back through the posts, he didn't give a snowcast last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Limuu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Actually I remember he was on Joe Duffy defending himself the forecast was based on Maddens if I remember correctly and people thought that was Micheal.

Lucreto wrote: »
    and people thought that was Micheal.

Absolutely correct, my response was to him not getting the recognition he deserves comments, people Thought it was the Postie, and acted upon same, I speculate that if it had not been the Postie, no one would have taken any notice.

In this regard, the facts that it was not and never was the Postie, is not the point. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Plenty of that. I bet there ain't too many posties in Waterford with the same interests either. :)

Still he was a brave man to call the milds in October 2011 and he was proven correct.

Well our weather does come from the Atlantic mostly and what are the chances of 2 severe snow laden winters in Ireland.
    Plus after and severe cold it's easy call the next mild. :)

Anyway Ireland's weather is very localised so I guess he is just talking about Donegal the majority of the time. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sorry but that is pure and utter nonsense and this is coming from someone who lives there.

Absolutely correct, my response was to him not getting the recognition he deserves comments, people Thought it was the Postie, and acted upon same, I speculate that if it had not been the Postie, no one would have taken any notice.

In this regard, the facts that it was not and never was the Postie, is not the point. ;)

And I thought some of MTCs competition rules were confusing, now I'm totally :confused:

Are you in politics by any chance?:)

Do you mean you now believe the fact that the postman didn't forecast snow for winter 2011 but someone else did and everyone assumed it was the postman. Your point is that no matter who gives a long range forecast the postman will get the blame if it goes wrong?

At 17m in south Cork City, or even Carlow, it's unlikely you ever had a white Christmas Eve, Day or Stephen's Day.

Joe Public wrote: »
    At 17m in south Cork City, or even Carlow, it's unlikely you ever had a white Christmas Eve, Day or Stephen's Day.

Why do you say this? I did. Snow on the ground to a few inches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Brian Gaze:eek: forecasting a white christmas:eek: on the Irish Independant:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement