Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONEGAL’S FAMOUS WEATHERMAN PREDICTS SNOW BEFORE CHRISTMAS!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

gbee wrote: »
    Why do you say this? I did. Snow on the ground to a few inches

You mentioned 10 white Christmas periods when there was only 3 of note in the last 50 years which were 2004, 2009 & 2010 and I don't think low lying Cork was included in any of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Joe Public wrote: »
    You mentioned 10 white Christmas periods when there was only 3 of note in the last 50 years which were 2004, 2009 & 2010 and I don't think low lying Cork was included in any of these.

Well I and my family would dispute this, for the 2010 period I had six inches of snow in the backyard for 3 months. My 2010 Christmas Family photo is taken in the backyard covered in snow.

Mind you, snow is usually short lived, covered in snow overnight only to melt away my dawn, but we certainly had more snow than your record reading indicates.

Take last week, Cork was reporting snow, it was being disputed ~

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I was born in 70's, Father was born in 1950 never saw one either. I'm Waterford/Kilkenny area. Both fans of extreme weather and have never seen snow fall on Christmas day. Had freezing rain at -3 back in 2009 :(
    I have to agree with this, snow falling on xmas day is extremely rare in Ireland. I did see snow fall on dec 25 2004 but that didn't stick so doesn't really count. There has been many near misses though when snow fell a few days after xmas - 1962, 1978, 1996, 2000, 2009. I'm sure there are others (especially in the 1960s) but they're the only ones I can think of. I remember reading somewhere that "real" snow fell on xmas day 1950 and it probably did looking at this.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1950/Rrea00119501225.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I have to agree with this, snow falling on xmas day is extremely rare in Ireland. I did see snow fall on dec 25 2004 but that didn't stick so doesn't really count.

Remember this day well for I was working that morning :o. Woke up to about 2-3 inches of snow in Galway City and heavy snow & hail showers continued for the rest of the day which was nice to see on Christmas Day I have to admit.

227668.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

I trying to think back to how many white Christmases I have seen in north Co. Sligo. They are rare! Ok now I am not being very technical here so if there was snow on the ground regardless if any fresh stuff fell during the 24 hours of Christmas day then I count it as white.

2010 - No fresh snow but 4 " had been lying for days beforehand. Bitterly cold for days before Christmas, but rapid thaw set in after dark on Christmas Day.

2009 - Heavy rain turned to sleet / wet snow around 3pm on Christmas Day but no snow settled at sea level here

2004 - Heavy snow on nearby mountains but none settled at sea level on Christmas Day

2000 - Very cold Christmas day but sunny and frosty. 8" of snow fell on the night of the 26th Decmeber and lay on ground until rapid thaw on the 30th

1995 - Snow showers on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day morning gave a slight dusting. Got progressively colder over next few days but no heavy snow fell (frosts and freezing fog were very severe).

I dont think there were any white Christmases here in the 1980s....

I would appreciate if anyone might have info on white christmases in the northwest to see if I have missed any but I cant think of any during the 1980

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Yes it snowed in Galway 2004 on Christmas day. Have pictures to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Brian Gaze:eek: forecasting a white christmas:eek: on the Irish Independant:eek:

To be fair to him in case people hang him if and when the grass is green come xmas morning, he is saying that the chance of a white Christmas are "above average"/"higher than usual". He is not forecasting a white Christmas.

There is not a sinner on the planet who can say with any level of certainty that we will have a White Christmas.

Yours sincerely,

S
    What-the-Dickens--Scrooge-211109.pjpeg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

gbee wrote: »
    Well I and my family would dispute this, for the 2010 period I had six inches of snow in the backyard for 3 months. My 2010 Christmas Family photo is taken in the backyard covered in snow.

Mind you, snow is usually short lived, covered in snow overnight only to melt away my dawn, but we certainly had more snow than your record reading indicates.

Take last week, Cork was reporting snow, it was being disputed ~

Only one part of Cork which as far as I can remember was outside Middleton? and apparently the highest village in Ireland!!! Feel free to correct me if I am wrong....this was reported on the Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

suitseir wrote: »
    Only one part of Cork which as far as I can remember was outside Middleton? and apparently the highest village in Ireland!!! Feel free to correct me if I am wrong....this was reported on the Radio.

Snow on the morning of 1 Nov at Nad Mountain, outside Nad village on the Cloghroe/Cork road. Image Helen Enright
    227716.jpg

Also

Bweeng, County Cork, 1 Nov. Bweeng is situated 24 km. North of Cork City, 13 km from Mallow Town. Image Amanda Clare Coyne
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bweeng? Stop making up placenames that sound like the ricochet of a bullet and having it snow there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Bweeng? Stop making up placenames that sound like the ricochet of a bullet and having it snow there.

Are you joking? Bweeng exists all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    To be fair to him in case people hang him if and when the grass is green come xmas morning, he is saying that the chance of a white Christmas are "above average"/"higher than usual". He is not forecasting a white Christmas.

There is not a sinner on the planet who can say with any level of certainty that we will have a White Christmas.

Yours sincerely,

S
    What-the-Dickens--Scrooge-211109.pjpeg.jpg[/ I do agree we will end up with a green christmas. No one can say at this early stage with any confidence how christmas will pan out. If you look at Mr Gaze record he tends to spout things out to the media and then when they dont go according to plan, he denies he ever said these things or he was misquoted. the man is a legend:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I trying to think back to how many white Christmases I have seen in north Co. Sligo. They are rare! Ok now I am not being very technical here so if there was snow on the ground regardless if any fresh stuff fell during the 24 hours of Christmas day then I count it as white.

2010 - No fresh snow but 4 " had been lying for days beforehand. Bitterly cold for days before Christmas, but rapid thaw set in after dark on Christmas Day.

2009 - Heavy rain turned to sleet / wet snow around 3pm on Christmas Day but no snow settled at sea level here

2004 - Heavy snow on nearby mountains but none settled at sea level on Christmas Day

2000 - Very cold Christmas day but sunny and frosty. 8" of snow fell on the night of the 26th Decmeber and lay on ground until rapid thaw on the 30th

1995 - Snow showers on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day morning gave a slight dusting. Got progressively colder over next few days but no heavy snow fell (frosts and freezing fog were very severe).

I dont think there were any white Christmases here in the 1980s....

I would appreciate if anyone might have info on white christmases in the northwest to see if I have missed any but I cant think of any during the 1980
    Yes White Christmas on all those years.
    Regarding 2009, We got plenty of fresh snow here that day and at sea level.
    In 1995 the snow was heavy here as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah same where I was, lying snow right on the coast in 2009 and must have been a good 6 inches in 1995 although not too sure if that was on Christmas Day or not, similar to 2000 but as torrential says that was on the 26th/27th

Another near miss was 1998, I seem to remember snow showers after that monster storm on the 26th

Can't say I remember this one but 2001 looks like it could have had wintry showers

archives-2001-12-25-12-0.png

Looking back through those archive charts it looks like 1995 was the first white Christmas in close to 20 years so needless to say they're rare enough

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Larbre34 wrote: »
    And no-one thinks Naad is an odd name??

• Registered Users Posts: 30 okfine

And no-one thinks Naad is an odd name??

Please keep on topic. :P only joking,But here's hoping we get more snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Harps wrote: »
    Yeah same where I was, lying snow right on the coast in 2009 and must have been a good 6 inches in 1995 although not too sure if that was on Christmas Day or not, similar to 2000 but as torrential says that was on the 26th/27th

Another near miss was 1998, I seem to remember snow showers after that monster storm on the 26th

Can't say I remember this one but 2001 looks like it could have had wintry showers

archives-2001-12-25-12-0.png

Looking back through those archive charts it looks like 1995 was the first white Christmas in close to 20 years so needless to say they're rare enough

Snowed Christmas day at about 7 or 8 o' clock in Letterkenny IIRC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Harps wrote: »
    Yeah same where I was, lying snow right on the coast in 2009 and must have been a good 6 inches in 1995 although not too sure if that was on Christmas Day or not

More likely St. Stephen's day as Malin Head reported 7.9mm of precipitation (mostly snow) on the 26th December 1995. Snow showers also on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but heaviest on the 26th.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsodres?lang=en&mode=1&state=Irel&ano=1995&mes=12&day=26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Joe Public wrote: »

I live in suburbia 3 miles from Cork city and had lying snow in 2010 and heavyish snow that stuck in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I live in suburbia 3 miles from Cork city and had lying snow in 2010 and heavyish snow that stuck in 2004.

Two out of ten ain't bad:)

I only ever remember one Christmas day that could possibly count as a white Christmas with a snow cover on the ground where I was living. It was gone by the afternoon so not the real thing.
    My idea of a white Christmas is for a full cover of snow, at least 2" deep, to be around for Christmas Day where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

please, please, please let Michael Gallagher be right!!! This current wet, not-quite-cold-enough-to-be-winter muck is seriously depressing (like the Lyons tea ad "its all in the pressing")!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

The weather charts are beginning to stack in Mr Gallagers favour. Should the winter turn fridged and prove him right again what will it say for his methods and reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

AS I SAID BEFORE , statistically Donegal gets the most snow days in Ireland ! So its NOT a huge thing to predict "snow before christmas "

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Iancar29 wrote: »
    AS I SAID BEFORE , statistically Donegal gets the most snow days in Ireland ! So its NOT a huge thing to predict "snow before christmas "

CALM DOWN!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Surely he is giving a national forecast? They hardly bring him on National radio to give the Donegal forecast :)
    Did he predict they'd win the football as well??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Either way a lot of people will be exalting him further if its perceived that he has another prediction correct under his belt! Sure only time will tell if we do end up with another cold one at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I never doubted he would be proven correct but as he made no forecast about Cork I don't want to hear about them down there. :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Surely he is giving a national forecast?

Whatever about the frogs and the tits forecasting whether or not it might or might not snow in Donegal...how the hell are they going to forecast whether or not it might or might not snow in Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Whatever about the frogs and the tits forecasting whether or not it might or might not snow in Donegal...how the hell are they going to forecast whether or not it might or might not snow in Wexford?

Simples, take a trip down and ask the Wexford frogs and tits :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

If the tits don't tell you you can squeeze it out of them.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement