Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[article] Ceefax service to end after 38 years on BBC

• 23-10-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

BBC News wrote:
    BBC Ceefax, the world's first teletext service, is set for a final bow as the UK's digital switchover is completed.

Olympic champion Dame Mary Peters will turn off the last analogue TV signal in Northern Ireland at 23.30 BST. A series of graphics on Ceefax's front page will mark its 38 years on the BBC.
    [...]

A55HdmwCYAIq6K_.jpg-large.jpeg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20032882

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19996372
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Has anyone got any screen grabs?

Also does the Teletext on 3 service still operate on UTV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Rick_

I don't think any of the special messages will appear on Ceefax until The Magic Box starts at 22:30.

Teletext shut down completely on UTV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 and not even the local pages on 600 for UTV, 400 for Channel 4 or 500 for Channel 5 remain. It's all gone, apart from subtitles on p888 I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

I thought there was a teletext on 4, on Sky - just a magazine for horse racing. Surprised that doesn't remain on analogue too..

There you go, consigned to history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Rick_

I believe the Teletext service on Sky interactive and the one for Freeview and Freesat have closed down or are in the process of closing down or being rebranded to remove the Teletext name completely. It's all practically gone, and as you say, consigned to history. Aertel ain't far behind, it is continuing but in digital form only, and some times digital just doesn't compare to analogue...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Stopped looking at Teletext/Ceefax when Mega-Zine on Teletext on 4 ended. It was just never the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

marclt wrote: »
    I thought there was a teletext on 4, on Sky - just a magazine for horse racing. Surprised that doesn't remain on analogue too..

There you go, consigned to history.

There is a holding page on p100 on Channel 4:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The racing magazine is actually still going on the version on UPC (the heading on the page is "Teletext - Channel 4 (Sky)" so presumed it was still going on Sky.

Teletext Limited had their licence revoked back in 2009 for scaling down their service to a shadow of what it had formerly being (and nowhere near meeting their licence obligations), but they continued to broadcast anyway. Ofcom did nothing bar fine them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I find it strange that the BBC are willing to kill off a well-known brand 'Ceefax' and replace it with the unedifying 'press your red button'.

The functionality isn't exactly equivalent, although there's a reasonable amount of overlap - so I'm surprised they never invoked the 'digital Ceefax' brand.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Richard wrote: »
    There is a holding page on p100 on Channel 4:
    actually sort of completing the circle that is.

At the beginning they invented teletext to provide subtitles but then expanded it to what it was as a full information service.

Now its back to being just a pure subtitle service, as it was originally intended !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ninja900 wrote: »
    I find it strange that the BBC are willing to kill off a well-known brand 'Ceefax' and replace it with the unedifying 'press your red button'.

The functionality isn't exactly equivalent, although there's a reasonable amount of overlap - so I'm surprised they never invoked the 'digital Ceefax' brand.

Teletext /Aertel /Ceefax is/was entirely digital.

• Advertisement

I know that, you know that, the BBC certainly know that - it's RTE who are referring to the old service as 'analogue Aertel' :rolleyes:
    Couldn't see the BBC doing that, thankfully.
    How about they refer to the new service as 'Ceefax on digital TV' ;)

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

45 years of BBC telly text ends soon

BBC to switch off red button text in 2020
    The BBC is to switch off the news and sport text services on the TV red button early next year.

The decision spells the end of reading headlines, football scores, weather, travel news and more on TV sets, 45 years after the launch of Ceefax.

Booooooooo.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement