Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV Alternatives?

• 23-10-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I got the second version of Apple TV and have found it a pain in the ass to have to use iTunes for everything. I realise it's quite possible I am doing it all wrong or maybe its possible to jailbreak it or otherwise get around this, but really - I can't be arsed :)

Has anyone any advice in terms of alternatives? I just want to dump a pile of music / hd video from a mac onto some sort of large external hard-drive (1tb+) and play it through the tv. It doesn't need to be wireless as the room is cabled and I don't really care about youtube/netflix/renting movies or via it (can do all that on the xbox/existing apple tv). Any suggestions most gratefully received!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I got the second version of Apple TV and have found it a pain in the ass to have to use iTunes for everything. I realise it's quite possible I am doing it all wrong or maybe its possible to jailbreak it or otherwise get around this, but really - I can't be arsed :)

Has anyone any advice in terms of alternatives? I just want to dump a pile of music / hd video from a mac onto some sort of large external hard-drive (1tb+) and play it through the tv. It doesn't need to be wireless as the room is cabled and I don't really care about youtube/netflix/renting movies or via it (can do all that on the xbox/existing apple tv). Any suggestions most gratefully received!!

Are you sure you have an ATV second generation, if you then you can jail break it and do alot more with regards to watching content on it.

I tried to get an ATV 2 but they are hard to get. An ATV 3 is impossible to JB at this moment but fingers crossed.

My set up is different , I bought a Network Hard Drive 2TB and connected it to my home network.

I have access to all my media on every device I own.

Video/Music can be viewed on the TV through my PS3 (JB ATV 2 can also do this).

I can also view all my content on my iPad and Android phone using third party apps (GoodPlayer for iOS, VPlayer on Android)

I store very little on my iPad/Phone now because it can all be streamed (Very Fast because its a local network) I can also download them to the devices if i want to watch them away from the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I've a 2TB NAS with:

Boxee Box in one room - main room, HD, 5.1 surround sound, great for local audio/ video, some streaming services.

In the other room I've a Raspberry Pi with RaspMBC installed, not far off the functionality of the Boxee Box but less processing power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

So you're looking at circa €150 for the 2TB NAS plus more or less the same again for the boxee box thing?

Once it's all bought - you just dump the media files onto the NAS from the mac plug it into the router, hook the boxee into the network, turn it on and off we go? Or is it more complicated than that (me and complicated not being compatible...)?

So you're looking at circa €150 for the 2TB NAS plus more or less the same again for the boxee box thing?

Once it's all bought - you just dump the media files onto the NAS from the mac plug it into the router, hook the boxee into the network, turn it on and off we go? Or is it more complicated than that (me and complicated not being compatible...)?

Yup, the Boxee is plug and play, the NAS setup depends on the brand but my Buffalo Linkstation was also plug and play.
    Also wife proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

it's also possible to attach a usb drive directly to the boxee box. This then acts as a NAS and you can copy files from your pc to your boxee over your network. Over the years of finding a solution that was totally wife-proof this is the best I've come up with so far. All she needs to do is turn on the boxee and everything is there. No need for her to worry about whether the router is on or the NAS or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Are you sure you have an ATV second generation, if you then you can jail break it and do alot more with regards to watching content on it.

I tried to get an ATV 2 but they are hard to get. An ATV 3 is impossible to JB at this moment but fingers crossed.

My set up is different , I bought a Network Hard Drive 2TB and connected it to my home network.

I have access to all my media on every device I own.
    Just wondering. How do you access your network drive using your iPad and iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Also wife proof.

3 magic words and we have a winner. Boxee it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Just wondering. How do you access your network drive using your iPad and iPhone?

Use Filebrowser

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8

or Netportal

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/netportal-access-files-on/id323133602?mt=8

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

it's also possible to attach a usb drive directly to the boxee box. This then acts as a NAS and you can copy files from your pc to your boxee over your network. Over the years of finding a solution that was totally wife-proof this is the best I've come up with so far. All she needs to do is turn on the boxee and everything is there. No need for her to worry about whether the router is on or the NAS or anything else.

I never switch off the router and the NAS, so not an issue for me.
    Wife doesn't even know where they are or what they do, I have them hidden in the attic away from herself and the smally.

All they know is if they boot up the Boxee they can watch whatever they want, from local movies to streaming Netflix (although you'll need a Netflix sub and an unblock-us account for that), from Peppa Pig via BBC Player to listening to Pearl Jam Bootlegs via the Boxee Music Player. Boxee (while it won't get any major firmware releases other than the final one that is on the way) does it all for me. Keeps all the family happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

i would not touch the boxie box worst gui and no firmware updates in ages and i believe they are as buggy as crap

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    i would not touch the boxie box worst gui and no firmware updates in ages and i believe they are as buggy as crap

I'd get the name right anyway before talking ****e about it, Boxee Box, not boxie box.
    The GUI is lifted almost directly from earlier versions of XBMC - loved by millions and a full QWERTY remote, it's strongest point according to most users.
    It's stable IMO, air play is the only thing I have an issue with - it's not completely stable, although there are issues with HD audio that impact only a small number of users, not me. Some people complain about the flash versions, I think flash is dead, not an issue for me again.

As regards the firmware, they've not had an update since March, correct, but they've promised one more major update (plus future small big fixes).

To be honest, it's delievered everything I wanted from it and more, best €150 I ever spent, especially given that both my wife and 2 year old daughter can happily use it.

Competiton - locked down piece of ****e apple tv incapable of playing local content in avi/ mkv format.
    Roku - streaming only again.

A full blown HTPC - it wouldn't pass the wife/ kid test and costs a lot more.

FIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

once a atv2 is jailbroken it can do everything u want with xbmc .and to build a htpc with a 2or 3 tb hd is actually cheap now a days.i have both and tbh my apple tv,s do every thing i need them to do.but its the same old story xbmc vs boxee its what ever you like best

The difference is having to jailbreak which both voids warranty and is a PITA for the average user.
    Boxee Box does all of that stuff out of the box, different experience IMO.

I never switch off the router and the NAS, so not an issue for me.
    Wife doesn't even know where they are or what they do, I have them hidden in the attic away from herself and the smally.

All they know is if they boot up the Boxee they can watch whatever they want, from local movies to streaming Netflix (although you'll need a Netflix sub and an unblock-us account for that), from Peppa Pig via BBC Player to listening to Pearl Jam Bootlegs via the Boxee Music Player. Boxee (while it won't get any major firmware releases other than the final one that is on the way) does it all for me. Keeps all the family happy.

You use it to stream movies (.avi) from the NAS no problem?

Where did ya get it for €150

You use it to stream movies (.avi) from the NAS no problem?

Where did ya get it for €150

Yes, avi/ mkv/ dvd iso... it plays almost every format imaginable,
    I've streamed files up to 10GB in size no problem.

It was for sale on Amazon.co.uk a while back (have a look at the bargain alerts forum). Think it's back to full price now.

Yes, avi/ mkv/ dvd iso... it plays almost every format imaginable,
    I've streamed files up to 10GB in size no problem.

It was for sale on Amazon.co.uk a while back (have a look at the bargain alerts forum). Think it's back to full price now.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

i also have a boxee box, its probably one of the best purchases i have ever made gadget wise.

it is not perfect, in fact many of its consumers are very pissed off with boxee with the complete lack of info recently, no update since march and they have since announced that it is no longer going to be supported. its to get one more update and then thats that.

perhaps they might drop in price due to being discontinued, i would nearly get a backup one for myself as i love the GUI and ease of use

Advertisement