Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona v Celtic (UEFA Champions League) K.O. 19.45

• 23-10-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Celtic have fitness doubts over Scott Brown, Kelvin Wilson, Adam Matthews, James Forrest, Georgios Samaras and Kris Commons. Commons & Brown being the more serious doubts. Dylan McGeouch and Lassad Nouioui are out and didnt travel afaik.

Barcelona have a makeshift defence because Gerard Pique, Daniel Alves, Carles Puyol and Eric Abidal are all out and Busquets is suspended.

Celtic have a chance of taking something from this game, epic performance required though!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think this could be long night for Celtic.

I will go with 3-0. Home game might be more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

It's a pity Barca's injury problems aren't in attack rather than defence!!

Really looking forward to the game, games don't come much bigger than Barca in Camp Nou, as much as I'd love us to get something from the game I really can't see it happening. I'll be happy with a decent performance and keeping the score respectable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

3-0 would be respectable. Barca can win this by 5 or 6 if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hoping for something embarassing, somewhere around the 7 or 8 mark would be lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

maximoose wrote: »
    Hoping for something embarassing, somewhere around the 7 or 8 mark would be lovely.

Double figures would be magic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Celtic are 25/1 , 10/1 the draw !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Messi to get hattrick number 22 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Nah!!!!! Celtic are just not that good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Would like to see Celtic take something from this game and they probably will never get a better chance. But if Barca's midfield and Strikers turn it on it could be a long night for the Celtic defense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Would like to see Celtic take something from this game

I think you dropped your Rangers Supporters badge.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Double figures would be magic

I would love this just to see Lennon's press conference alone. Magical.

I just hope Barca play to 30% of their ability, that ought to be enough for a 10-0 rout anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Des wrote: »
    I think you dropped your Rangers Supporters badge.

Not in the least I just don't get the love in for Barca and would like a SCOTTISH team to take something ;):p

Not in the least I just don't get the love in for Barca and would like a SCOTTISH team to take something ;):p

Probably because they play a fast, highly technical and extremely difficult brand of football that focuses on one of the most difficult skills in the game - keeping the ball - whereas Celtic play hoofball sh*te unless they're up against the plumbers and builders from Raith Rovers.

I would love this just to see Lennon's press conference alone. Magical.

I just hope Barca play to 30% of their ability, that ought to be enough for a 10-0 rout anyway.

Why such bitterness? All the Celtic fans going to the game are going with the knowledge they'll be sorely beaten but they are also going with a love of their team and a joy of just being good enough to play the great Barca!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can both teams please lose.

kthxbai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Shouldn't the thread title include 'How many will Messi score?'.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Shouldn't the thread title include 'How many will Messi score?'.

I'm praying he has a 'bad' game - it does happen you know;)

All in all though I do hope its a good game - the least we can be sure of, it won't be boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Madam wrote: »
    Why such bitterness? All the Celtic fans going to the game are going with the knowledge they'll be sorely beaten but they are also going with a love of their team and a joy of just being good enough to play the great Barca!

All that bitterness and he probably hasnt seen Celtic play other than the highlights package on RTE. Same goes for the others that have crawled out of the woodwork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Barca shouldnt need to worry about their defence tonight.

If the front 5 can do the business it will be Barca at a canter, 3 or 4 nil.

If Celtic can keep a clean sheet for the first 90 minutes they have a chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As a Barcelona fan, I'll be happy with a win of any sort.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    All that bitterness and he probably hasnt seen Celtic play other than the highlights package on RTE. Same goes for the others that have crawled out of the woodwork

Ah good old assumptions. I've watched them, on Sky. They're p0xy.

Was merely pointing out why the perceived "love in" happens. Anyone who's a fan of the game (or any game) will look at the best and most talented participants. People hardly tune in to see Celtic vs Raith Rovers to see the beautiful game and get themselves excited at the skill on display. Hence the lovein comments are always a bit daft. Football fans in enjoying good football shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I've seen them they are pretty sh*t, Messi usually scores a few against opposition teams like that...why would tonight be any different?

If he does though you can just say it's down to the HGH though.:pac:

You sound like a 8 year old thats had too much sugar, ill be ignoring your waffle from now on.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    I've seen them they are pretty sh*t, Messi usually scores a few against opposition teams like that...why would tonight be any different?

If he does though you can just say it's down to the HGH though.:pac:

What game did you watch?

Without HGH, Messi wouldnt be playing football. Whats your point?

Was merely pointing out why the perceived "love in" happens. Anyone who's a fan of the game (or any game) will look at the best and most talented participants. People hardly tune in to see Celtic vs Raith Rovers to see the beautiful game and get themselves excited at the skill on display. Hence the lovein comments are always a bit daft. Football fans in enjoying good football shocker.

Ah I get it now......................... Your a Raith Rovers fan(who Celtic probably play once or twice a season so thats what you base your 'assumptions' on)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

as much as i hope Celtic will get something from the game i just cant see it happening,the Barca attackers will be too fast and clever for the Celtic defense.

Barca to win by 3 or 4 goals.

You sound like a 8 year old thats had too much sugar, ill be ignoring your waffle from now on.

Resorting to trying to insult me because you disagree with me and I insulted your beloved club. Cry me a river.

YOU sound like a baby who didn't get his bottle so I'll be ignoring YOUR crying and babbling from here on myself. Go have your bottle. I suggest perhaps a Celtic fans forum where you can all reassure each other that you play wonderful stuff, and harp on about Lisbon 67 or Eire 32 or whatever you lot go on about. The rest of us will stay in the lovely place called reality, where average to poor standards of football are described as such, instead of playing it up to be great when in fact, it isn't.

See the sh*t on a stick comment from Valdano. It's very relevant right now.
    Ah I get it now......................... Your a Raith Rovers fan(who Celtic probably play once or twice a season so thats what you base your 'assumptions' on)!

You got me. The mighty Raith Rovers are my pride and joy.

I base my assumptions on watching the standard of ball played any time I've seen Celtic play. But again, keep assuming that if I think they play crap football that I must not have watched them, it's easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

To be fair, every time Celtic come up against a huge team I always expect (hope :pac: ) a humiliation, but somehow they tend to manage pretty ok.

I expect a 1-0, maybe 2-0 win for Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I don't think Celtic really have the following in Ireland they used to. I think it's embarrassing seeing young lads wearing Celtic jerseys singing sectarian songs etc we as a country have moved on from that crap only the uneducated follow through with sectarian crap!!

I can't help it I don't like Celtic I don't like the way Celtic and rangers hate each other to do with religion it's just wrong!!!

Anyone with kids keep them clear of all the Celtic crap!! My mates son is a scanger going round with Celtic jersey mouthing off bout rangers etc its just properly embarrassing!

On topic I can see barca blitzing Celtic altogether only way result can be reasonable if Celtic play 30 men instead of 11 and pack goal line and box with big men!!!!

MESSSSSSIIIIIIII

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I don't think Celtic really have the following in Ireland they used to. I think it's embarrassing seeing young lads wearing Celtic jerseys singing sectarian songs etc we as a country have moved on from that crap only the uneducated follow through with sectarian crap!!

I can't help it I don't like Celtic I don't like the way Celtic and rangers hate each other to do with religion it's just wrong!!!

Anyone with kids keep them clear of all the Celtic crap!! My mates son is a scanger going round with Celtic jersey mouthing off bout rangers etc its just properly embarrassing!

On topic I can see barca blitzing Celtic altogether only way result can be reasonable if Celtic play 30 men instead of 11 and pack goal line and box with big men!!!!

MESSSSSSIIIIIIII

Bit of irony with you talking about the uneducated in that post!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Going to ignore the trolling and just focus on the match I reckon.

In reality Celtic would need to sell their soul to Abramovich to get anything out of this game if Barcelona really push it. I reckon 3-1.

MESSSSSSIIIIIIII

What about Utd fans slagging off Liverpool fans and vice versa and kids wearing jersies slagging off each other and spouting stupid stuff?

Our is it just confined to Celtic/Rangers rivalry?

For every weekend 'RA head there is genuine Celtic supporters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Never bought into the Celtic thing, have no love for the team. Same goes for Barcelona, they do my head in at times. I'll be just hoping for a good match, and I hope Celtic put it up to them. Everyone loves an underdog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

GavRedKing wrote: »
    What about Utd fans slagging off Liverpool fans and vice versa and kids wearing jersies slagging off each other and spouting stupid stuff?

Our is it just confined to Celtic/Rangers rivalry?

For every weekend 'RA head there is genuine Celtic supporters too.

Think you missed this bit in his post "I don't like the way Celtic and rangers hate each other to do with religion it's just wrong!!!"

Normal rivalry is healthy for sport though

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Whilst I wouldn't fancy Celtics chances at all in this game it should be noted Barca are usually just "warming up" during the group stages and it is often possible to come away from Barcelona with something

For example both Shaktar Donetsk and Rubin Kazan have both won CL group stage games in the Nou Camp in recent seasons.

I'll be watching this one tonight anyway.

uch wrote: »
    Think you missed this bit in his post "I don't like the way Celtic and rangers hate each other to do with religion it's just wrong!!!"

Normal rivalry is healthy for sport though

Saying its down to just religion doesnt show the whole picture though, there is much more to the rivalry then just sectarian bigotry.
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    Whilst I wouldn't fancy Celtics chances at all in this game it should be noted Barca are usually just "warming up" during the group stages and it is often possible to come away from Barcelona with something

For example both Shaktar Donetsk and Rubin Kazan have both won CL group stage games in the Nou Camp in recent seasons.

I'll be watching this one tonight anyway.

I'd rate Shakhtar superior to Celtic.

• Advertisement

I'd rate Shakhtar superior to Celtic.

So would I. But I would have also considered them unlikely to beat Barca in the Nou Camp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I go around in a City top mouthing off about ManU. Some amount of shíte in this thread. Wish Celtic all the best tonight and you never know, any result is possible in a match like this. On TV at all? shame ITV and TV3 are showing United pish as per usual.

karma_ wrote: »
    I go around in a City top mouthing off about ManU. Some amount of shíte in this thread. Wish Celtic all the best tonight and you never know, any result is possible in a match like this. On TV at all? shame ITV and TV3 are showing United pish as per usual.

Setanta Ireland has it.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    So would I. But I would have also considered them unlikely to beat Barca in the Nou Camp.

True, but you'd have to give Shakhtar better odds of beating Barca then Celtic.

It would be an excellent result if Celtic can get even a point here and will see them in a good position in the group.

karma_ wrote: »

Dont know why people say this all the time, Utd are the biggest supported club from an Irish point of view in the competition so of course they'll be showing Utd over Celtic/Arsenal/Chelsea/City if they happen to play on the same night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

This should be fun.

Dont know why people say this all the time, Utd are the biggest supported club from an Irish point of view in the competition so of course they'll be showing Utd over Celtic/Arsenal/Chelsea/City if they happen to play on the same night.

For me personally, even if they are the popular team(s) in Ireland, I'd still like to see a variety of games shown. Of course I know it's never going to happen but them's the breaks. But I can understand why some people are getting tired of this policy.

To compare it to something it'd be kinda like if RTE only showed Ireland games at a World Cup finals and then only when we get knocked out actually screen the other teams who are still left. That would be a crazy state of affairs but it's pretty much how we get our CL served up to us year after year.

Nothing against ManU and there is even nights when ManU are the biggest/most attractive game of the night. But not 6 times a year for 20 years tends to get a bit boring..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I'll go for a draw, take them back to Paradise and show em how it's done! LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

MESSSSSSIIIIIIII

Same with United fans and Liverpool fans singing about Liverpool or Munich/Hillsborough. Plenty of lads I know are Celtic fans most of them are dead on. The one section that are annoying are the lads who loudly oppose Celtic because everybody knows some idiot who supports some club. Celtic have a large fan base and it's no surprise that some of their followers are idiots but it's no different from any other club. Sectarian songs, like it or not, are not every Celtic fans cup of tea. You talk about others being uneducated yet you're basically saying Celtic and Rangers hate each other due to religion - bullsh*t.

I really don't get the hate for Celtic fans here and supporting Celtic a club with deep Irish roots is no less embarrassing than supporting Manchester United, Liverpool, Man City and even Barcelona. It's funny that you call them embarrassing then see nothing embarrassing about some fans in the Premier League signing local songs or some Barcelona fans thinking they are Catalan and despising the ground every royalist Real Madrid player walks on and if you agree with that then why didn't you come in here to attack the Barcelona fans as well. At least some Celtic fans can relate to some of the shíte that goes on in Scotland.

What's embarrassing is being ignorant and generalising a whole club based on a certain element of support that you may have encountered; that in itself is a completely unfair sample. What about the Irish lads saying "Manc scum" or "Scouse scum"? That's embarrassing, yet on this forum it seems to be the norm to call out Celtic on it. Mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Same with United fans and Liverpool fans singing about Liverpool or Munich/Hillsborough. Plenty of lads I know are Celtic fans most of them are dead on. The one section that are annoying are the lads who loudly oppose Celtic because everybody knows some idiot who supports some club. Celtic have a large fan base and it's no surprise that some of their followers are idiots but it's no different from any other club. Sectarian songs, like it or not, are not every Celtic fans cup of tea. You talk about others being uneducated yet you're basically saying Celtic and Rangers hate each other due to religion - bullsh*t.

I really don't get the hate for Celtic fans here and supporting Celtic a club with deep Irish roots is no less embarrassing than supporting Manchester United, Liverpool, Man City and even Barcelona. It's funny that you call them embarrassing then see nothing embarrassing about some fans in the Premier League signing local songs or some Barcelona fans thinking they are Catalan and despising the ground every royalist Real Madrid player walks on and if you agree with that then why didn't you come in here to attack the Barcelona fans as well. At least some Celtic fans can relate to some of the shíte that goes on in Scotland.

What's embarrassing is being ignorant and generalising a whole club based on a certain element of support that you may have encountered; that in itself is a completely unfair sample. What about the Irish lads saying "Manc scum" or "Scouse scum"? That's embarrassing, yet on this forum it seems to be the norm to call out Celtic on it. Mind boggling.

You have saved me replying to the idiots on this thread, great post.

As for the game tonight. There isn't much you can say. Barca are unstoppable most of the time. All we can do is keep it tight and hope to get something on the counter.

Fu#k Messi and Iniesta, we've got Hooper and Wanyama!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I don't know any proper Celtic fans just the ones that put jersey on for a rangers game. Or to riot like on oconnell street a few years ago!!

Mind shutting up then?

You're embarrassing yourself with your confused ramblings.

chat about the actual match will break out any minute now. i dont get this urge that some people get to express their opinion/snide remarks/rants on celtic in a match thread. its not like ye cant create a new thread and take it there and leave this thread to talk about the actual match and not just an afterthought to a rant....

when will the teams be known? 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

7 nil barca please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Love a Celtic win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It will be very interesting to see the Possession stats after the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement