Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona v Celtic (UEFA Champions League) K.O. 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Well the resident Scottish football "experts" were spot on, Celtic humiliated in an embarressing 2-1 trashing in the Nou Camp.

In seriousness though it was a great effort and so cruel to conceed at the end. Roll on Parkhead. One positive is Wanyama didn't get a booking so he is free to play in 2 weeks. We can take something from that game if we play like tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

lennon told these kids that one lapse in concentration could break their hearts, one moment of feeling comfortable defensively and they turn the screw on you. he was right and the player can only learn the hard way.

hooper is the only player that disappointed me really, i know he's a lone striker in the 2nd half but that performance was nowhere near good enough, cant expect england caps doing that. sign that contract though, alot more to come from him.

have to remember that samaras was the oldest player at 27 i think. alot of young players in that celtic team with 9 of the starting 11 not playing ucl before this season. they did themselves proud and lennon as a manager nearly got it right. hard to take but the progress under lennon can be seen with each passing week and there is every reason to keep positive. hail hail!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Dempsey wrote: »
    lennon told these kids that one lapse in concentration could break their hearts, one moment of feeling comfortable defensively and they turn the screw on you. he was right and the player can only learn the hard way.

hooper is the only player that disappointed me really, i know he's a lone striker in the 2nd half but that performance was nowhere near good enough, cant expect england caps doing that. sign that contract though, alot more to come from him.

have to remember that samaras was the oldest player at 27 i think. alot of young players in that celtic team with 9 of the starting 11 not playing ucl before this season. they did themselves proud and lennon as a manager nearly got it right. hard to take but the progress under lennon can be seen with each passing week and there is every reason to keep positive. hail hail!
    Yeah Lennon has put together a very good young team with some exciting talents. Ambrose has been a revelation since he signed, Wanyama as well looks a real talent, disappointments like tonight we teach them a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Well the resident Scottish football "experts" were spot on, Celtic humiliated in an embarressing 2-1 trashing in the Nou Camp.

In seriousness though it was a great effort and so cruel to conceed at the end. Roll on Parkhead. One positive is Wanyama didn't get a booking so he is free to play in 2 weeks. We can take something from that game if we play like tonight!

Ye well said
    "rabble rabble rabble shoite league shoite players league of Ireland stuff. 8 nill barca, Celtic will be lucky to score nill"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Heartbroken. Some performance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Yeah, because Celtic played an amazing game of football there.

If it wasn't for Forster it would have been 5 or 6 goals for Barça.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

allybhoy wrote: »
    Ye well said
    "rabble rabble rabble shoite league shoite players league of Ireland stuff. 8 nill barca, Celtic will be lucky to score nill"

Don't be too bitter you lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Jelle1880 wrote: »

:confused:
    Is it not in the rules that you are allowed a goalkeeper

if your grandmother had balls, she'd be your grandfather!

tbh, you seen performances like that from forster since he joined celtic. how many clean sheet records broken already by him? this just cements his claim as england no.2 as we all thought early last season

• Advertisement

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    :confused:
    Is it not in the rules that you are allowed a goalkeeper

I was commenting on the post by allybhoy, but someone else posted before that ;)

Celtic didn't (imo) play an amazing game.

They were holding their own defensively, but that's not really hard when you have 9 men behind the ball constantly.

2-1 is a fair result, and if it wasn't for Forster (who was amazing, granted) it could have been much more.

The only reason people say that Celtic are hard done by is because of the timing of Alba's goal, but the result itself is perfectly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

They absolutely did play an amazing game of football.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Forster MOTM for me. He was superb. Thought Ambrose, Ledley were excellent. Even Wilson did well, he seems to partner Ambrose well. Lustig did well, better than Izzy I thought who was caught out a few times.

Hooper couldn't do much in fairness, I wouldn't be that hard on him. Especially when Sammy went off he was all alone up there.

Wanyama wasn't as good as I expected tonight tbh, expected him to hold the ball up a bit better and his passing was woeful at times. Gave the ball away far too easily for a big lad.

Hopefully we can get something from the game at home. Atmosphere should be electric anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be honest, a defeat like that is probably as satisfying for us bitter Celtic haters than a 5 nil would have been.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I was commenting on the post by allybhoy, but someone else posted before that ;)

Celtic didn't (imo) play an amazing game.

They were holding their own defensively, but that's not really hard when you have 9 men behind the ball constantly.

2-1 is a fair result, and if it wasn't for Forster (who was amazing, granted) it could have been much more.

The only reason people say that Celtic are hard done by is because of the timing of Alba's goal, but the result itself is perfectly normal.

Jog on back to Division 3 there, good lad. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

It's a cruel game at that level.

Heroic stuff from Celtic tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Wondered where it had gone as well :D Heat of the moment I'm sure

It was me .... hmmmm i didn't delete it though, maybe a mod somewhere loves me ...

I do find it very frustrating with all these late winners (93 mins+) Barca are getting lately.

its making me angry , cos I live here . .. and I mean incredible hulk angry..

Put a blue, Samsung sponsored jersey on that Celtic team and their performance tonight would have been virtually indistinguishable from the Chelsea performance in the Nou Camp last season.

SantryRed wrote: »

Don't be too bitter you lost.

Eh not bitter at all Sweetcheeks, proud of that performance, dissapointed naturally but that's Football. Just go back through this or any SFA related thread though and you will smell the trollers

this just cements his claim as england no.2 as we all thought early last season
    Would you really have prefered Joe Hart in goal tonight, with his current form. Really ?
    Celtic will make a lot of money on this guy when he moves to the super EPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Put a blue, Samsung sponsored jersey on that Celtic team and their performance tonight would have been virtually indistinguishable from the Chelsea performance in the Nou Camp last season.
    Fernando Torres doesn't play for Barca though. The big difference.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Jog on back to Division 3 there, good lad. ;)

southpark_tearlick.gif

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm too tired but can someone photoshop Terry into celebrating the Celtic goal? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

not too downhearted, i think celtic stuck two fingers up to the usual clowns who said they'd lose by 6 or 7, every team that goes to the nou camp parks the bus and has little possession, celtic were very close to a monumental result and I have seen Barcelona create far more chances against supposedly higher level sides

ambrose and wilson were excellent, lustig is getting better, wanyama is going to be a monster of a player and forster is an excellent keeper

celtic looked better in the first 20 minutes of the second half but losing samaras and then brown hurt them and they just couldn't hold out at the end

great effort all the same but the group will come down to the home game v spartak and away to benfica, they may need four points from those 2 games which is a tough ask but no matter what happens Celtic have proved to all the haters that they can be competitive at this level and that is sweeter than any last minute heartbreak :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

keith16 wrote: »
    They absolutely did play an amazing game of football.

The parked the bus for god sake.. hardly an amazing game of football

Would you really have prefered Joe Hart in goal tonight, with his current form. Really ?
    Celtic will make a lot of money on this guy when he moves to the super EPL

hart is undisputed, rightly or wrongly is another argument. forster should have been his no.2 in the euros and ive been very vocal on that. 1 ucl game shouldnt be needed to call him(called on before the spartak game). if thats what roy was looking at then he's not scouting a player properly.

john47832 wrote: »

parking the bus against barca requires alot to make it actually work. plenty park it and lose heavily

hart is undisputed, rightly or wrongly is another argument. forster should have been his no.2 in the euros and ive been very vocal on that. 1 ucl game shouldnt be needed to call him(called on before the spartak game). if thats what your looking at then you arent scouting a player properly.
    Then it's fair to say that Capello and Hodsgson don't scout properly.
    Oh btw - I'm agreeing with you :D

So fcuking what? I'm sick and tired of this "they parked the bus" shíte. How dare they not play your brand of football and allow us all the space in the world :rolleyes:

They played what was in front of them. And if there is one way of coming away from that ground with something this is how you do it.

Funny how they managed to score a goal and create a couple of more decent chances from the parked bus isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Celtic parked the bus. So What?

What did people expect? For Celtic to play 3-4-3 attacking formation?

Celtic had to do what was best for them and it nearly came off.

Chelsea did exact same with better players and were just pox that they got away with it.

So fcuking what? I'm sick and tired of this "they parked the bus" shíte. How dare they not play your brand of football and allow us all the space in the world :rolleyes:

They played what was in front of them. And if there is one way of coming away from that ground with something this is how you do it.

Funny how they managed to force Barcelona to score an own-goal and create a couple of more decent chances from the parked bus isn't it?

Fixed that for ya ;)

But yeah, playing a disciplined defensive game is a skill in itself.

But as a Rangers fan I remember the 'anti-football' claims by Celtic fans when we did the exact same in Barcelona and Old Trafford (and got away with a point ;) )

So deal with it :D

• Advertisement

Then it's fair to say that Capello and Hodsgson don't scout properly.
    Oh btw - I'm agreeing with you :D

edited my post. i wasnt having a go at you but at the england setup (if they're reading:p)

Nobody before the game doubted Celtic would park the bus, what team doesn't in the Nou Camp? Plenty doubted it would take the mighty Barcelona until the 94th minute to break the Celtic defence for the lead. That is what was amazing about the Celtic performance to so many people.

parking the bus against barca requires alot to make it actually work. plenty park it and lose heavily

Yes, and purposeful to obtaining a result, however "an amazing game of football" I think not :rolleyes:

Sorry, that type of analysis isn't simplistic enough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Fixed that for ya ;)

But as a Rangers fan I remember the 'anti-football' claims by Celtic fans when we did the exact same in Barcelona and Old Trafford (and got away with a point ;) )

You have selective memory as Rangers parked the bus at every European game

Yes, and purposeful to obtaining a result, however "an amazing game of football" I think not :rolleyes:

Why not? Because they don't play to a system that suits the opposition?

Is it not amazing in the context of them being written off at the start of this team as 7 / 8-0 losers & no hopers to almost come away with a point against one of the best teams in the world?

Fixed that for ya ;)

dont forget every other round of the europa league, home and away. and the following season, every game.

if you are unsure, check out the matches again and not just the highlights reels that the club published

So fcuking what? I'm sick and tired of this "they parked the bus" shíte.
    Just sayin it as it is... Thats what they done...
    They played what was in front of them.
    Yes, they had no choice, the only thing behind them was a goalkeeper
    Funny how they managed to score a goal and create a couple of more decent chances from the parked bus isn't it?
    Was an own goal pal...:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Before the game you predicted Celtic would conceed "four or more"...so are you either amazed that Celtic performed to a standard where they only conceeded two or did you, somehow, bizaarely imagine Celtic would take the game to Barca?

• Advertisement

Fixed that for ya ;)

ah now it makes sense! :pac:

football is about great defensive displays as much as great attacking displays.

Before the game you predicted Celtic would conceed "four or more"...so are you either amazed that Celtic performed to a standard where they only conceeded two or did you, somehow, bizaarely imagine Celtic would take the game to Barca?

I did predict 4 or more. I am guilty and I feel sufficiently disgraced...

You have selective memory as Rangers parked the bus at every European game

And still got results too.

Did you miss the part where I said that playing a disciplined defensive game is a skill by itself ?

Celtic did just that, but it was hardly 'an amazing game'.

Just sayin it as it is...

Thats what they done...

Yes, they had no choice, the only thing behind them was a goalkeeper

Was an own goal pal...:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

An amazing keeper I might add!

They all count mate ;)

Either way, stellar performance from Celtic tonight, no getting away from it!

I did predict 4 or more. I am guilty and I feel sufficiently disgraced...

Question for you John, why do you dislike Celtic so much?

• Advertisement

And still got results too.

Did you miss the part where I said that playing a disciplined defensive game is a skill by itself ?

Celtic did just that, but it was hardly 'an amazing game'.

Ah look, we're getting nowhere with this, and it's just semantics now anyway.

Inter did it to them a few years ago and that was also an immense defensive effort.

Just looking at Iniesta's goal again, amazing stuff, no team in the world would have stopped that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Gutted after that but so proud. And no it wasnt an amazing game or anything like it but i honestly expected a horsing 3 or 4 nil so mixed emotions at the end. Proud as **** and we now have qualification in our own hands and thats something i wouldnt have predicted before the group started. Maybe im getting sense but ignored all the trolling epl/loi heads this afternoon predicting a hammering of epic proportions. Put that in yer pipe and ****ing smoke it. If we learn from this experience a few years we may look back on tonight as the night and Moscow as nights that marked the beginning of a new era. Hail Hail!

Oh Jellie, how ye enjoying the adventure??? You sad bitter man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always enjoyed Graham Hunter on Spanish coverage on Sky but thought his line tonight, when asked by Newstalk presenter if he was proud of his countrymen, of "no, the CL is for the big boys....." showed him up a bit.

Showed him up as a bitter Rangers fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Had to admit I lol'd when Alba scored

Gutted after that but so proud. And no it wasnt an amazing game or anything like it but i honestly expected a horsing 3 or 4 nil so mixed emotions at the end. Proud as **** and we now have qualification in our own hands and thats something i wouldnt have predicted before the group started. Maybe im getting sense but ignored all the trolling epl/loi heads this afternoon predicting a hammering of epic proportions. Put that in yer pipe and ****ing smoke it. If we learn from this experience a few years we may look back on tonight as the night and Moscow as nights that marked the beginning of a new era. Hail Hail!

Oh Jellie, how ye enjoying the adventure??? You sad bitter man.

:D:D:D

If you think that's me being bitter you're deluded.

Did you miss that part where I said that Celtic played a disciplined, defensive game ?

Or are you disagreeing with that ?

I understand that this might hurt, but I didn't say anything wrong, so if you're acting like that I think it's pretty clear who the sad bitter 'man' is.

NIMAN: Hunter is not a Rangers fan, he's just one of those people that think only the Manchester Uniteds and Barcelonas of this world have a divine right to play in the CL.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement