Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona v Celtic (UEFA Champions League) K.O. 19.45

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jelle1880 wrote: »

And still got results too.

Did you miss the part where I said that playing a disciplined defensive game is a skill by itself ?

Celtic did just that, but it was hardly 'an amazing game'.

Maybe not for a Sevconian. It was amazing for Celtic fans. One day your team might be in Europe too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

allybhoy wrote: »
    Question for you John, why do you dislike Celtic so much?

I think its the green with white hoops.... Maybe they should change to white with green hoops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

PauloMN wrote: »
    Maybe not for a Sevconian. It was amazing for Celtic fans. One day your team might be in Europe too.
    You sad bitter man.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

no match tonight jelle? surely there is a sfl cup match to be played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

:D:D:D

If you think that's me being bitter you're deluded.

Did you miss that part where I said that Celtic played a disciplined, defensive game ?

Or are you disagreeing with that ?

I understand that this might hurt, but I didn't say anything wrong, so if you're acting like that I think it's pretty clear who the sad bitter 'man' is.

NIMAN: Hunter is not a Rangers fan, he's just one of those people that think only the Manchester Uniteds and Barcelonas of this world have a divine right to play in the CL.

Ah, maybe i over reacted to your initial post on the match tonight but come on, are we not allowed have a good goalkepper or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Ah, maybe i over reacted to your initial post on the match tonight but come on, are we not allowed have a good goalkepper or what?

I never said you weren't allowed to have that, but are you disagreeing that he basically kept you in the game at certain moments ?

He had a great game, I have absolutely no problem admitting that.

But he still looks like Lurch from the Addams Family :p

:cool:

cant be arsed

I never said you weren't allowed to have that, but are you disagreeing that he basically kept you in the game at certain moments ?

He had a great game, I have absolutely no problem admitting that.

But he still looks like Lurch from the Addams Family :p

Of course he kept us in the game at times, i did watch it you know. I give up, im off back town for the last few before closing, should never have come home:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

donfers wrote: »
    but no matter what happens Celtic have proved to all the haters that they can be competitive at this level and that is sweeter than any last minute heartbreak :)

Well summed up.
    Celtic parked the bus. So What?

What did people expect? For Celtic to play 3-4-3 attacking formation?

Celtic had to do what was best for them and it nearly came off.

Chelsea did exact same with better players and were just pox that they got away with it.

I agree 100% but I actually think it's not fair on Celtic to compare them with Chelsea fluking a result.

Financially Chelsea can stand up to Barcelona given the money they spend on transfer fees and wages, Celtic can't yet Chelsea had to resort to playing Barcelona like we did tonight. That shows you how good Barcelona are.
    Cesc Fabregas cost more than the entire Celtic playing staff put together. Celtic will always be killed with the lack of TV money but the Champions league is where we belong.

We done our best tonight and it is an absolute sickener to lose it like that but you have to look at the bigger picture. Celtic are very much alive in this group and our reputation has been restored in Europe. Does anyone remember getting horsed by Utrect away when Lennon had taken over? There has been excellent progress made at the club.
    We have a very exciting young squad of players right now and tonight will stand to them in the long term. Proud to be a Celt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maybe im getting sense but ignored all the trolling epl/loi heads this afternoon predicting a hammering of epic proportions. Put that in yer pipe and ****ing smoke it.

Tbh that cruelty is probably better than a hiding in hindsight ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Always enjoyed Graham Hunter on Spanish coverage on Sky but thought his line tonight, when asked by Newstalk presenter if he was proud of his countrymen, of "no, the CL is for the big boys....." showed him up a bit.

Showed him up as a bitter Rangers fan!

Firstly, he claims to be an Aberdeen fan

Secondly, he is really a Barcelona fan.

Thirdly, the champions league is for the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Xavi6 wrote: »

We may even get to see a battle of Britain tie now....if City actually manage to get out of their group this time round! ;)

Nah, Celtic showed plenty of fight tonight against the best team in the world.

Every supporter will have been proud of the bhoys and will appreciate their efforts. Contrast that to a City player refusing to even come off the bench last season in the Champions league.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

maximoose wrote: »
    Hoping for something embarassing, somewhere around the 7 or 8 mark would be lovely.
    Double figures would be magic
    Madam wrote: »
    Nah!!!!! Celtic are just not that good:)
    I would love this just to see Lennon's press conference alone. Magical.

I just hope Barca play to 30% of their ability, that ought to be enough for a 10-0 rout anyway.

Embarassing bluster exposed tonight for the bitter shíte that it is.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Nah, Celtic showed plenty of fight tonight against the best team in the world.

Every supporter will have been proud of the bhoys and will appreciate their efforts. Contrast that to a City player refusing to even come off the bench last season in the Champions league.

Lazy and inaccurate comparison but you run with it.

All tonight does is give Celtic fans false hope, still a bad side in European terms :)

All tonight does is give Celtic fans false hope, still a bad side in European terms :)

Maybe when your own team manages to progress to the Round of 16 you can pontificate as to what exactly constitutes a good or bad European team. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

City won't make the lst 16 either though
    & Real destroyed City a few weeks ago
    36 shots on goal from Real lol
    how they only won 3-2 i will never know

You've some brass neck on you Xavi saying my post is "lazy and inaccurate" when you peddle out the "I hate Celtic" ****e" whenever you get a chance.

What false hope? We are sitting on four points with three games to go. Tonight was a great night for the club.

Ares wrote: »

Embarassing bluster exposed tonight for the bitter shíte that it is.

What is with football fans and the misuse of the word bitter.

You went trailing through the thread looking for predictions you took offense to to try and prove people wrong. Work out who the bitter one is.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    City won't make the lst 16 either though
    & Real destroyed City a few weeks ago
    36 shots on goal from Real lol
    how they only won 3-2 i will never know

That would be embarrassing considering the money they have spent.

All a bit sensitive when the truth is pointed out lads, evident by the deflections.

I'll leave you celebrate your glorious defeat.

All a bit sensitive when the truth is pointed out lads, evident by the deflections.

A bit like City in Madrid a couple of weeks ago. Good to know that you understand how the Celtic fans are feeling. :P

xavi, fcuk off and worry about your own club. dortmund almost humiliated ye only for a balotelli penalty. sad day for manc when mario is the saviour of yer rep

You're some man, rambling on about ****ing nothing and then trying to make out you're right, even though you haven't made one coherent point in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Dempsey wrote: »

xavi, fcuk off and worry about your own club. dortmund almost humiliated ye only for a balotelli penalty. sad day for manc when mario is the saviour of yer rep

?? Mario is a quality footballer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

At the end of the day Celtic got 0 points. No matter how good or bad they played they came away with jack ****, as every fan expected them too. So don't see why people are getting annoyed.

Rekop dog wrote: »

?? Mario is a quality footballer!

can be, usually isnt but an excellent penalty taker. hard to argue otherwise tbh

Ares wrote: »
    A bit like City in Madrid a couple of weeks ago. Good to know that you understand how the Celtic fans are feeling. :P

Well no it's not like that at all because City fans didn't celebrate that result, different mindset obviously. Maybe back in the days when we were at Gorgeous Georgios' level but not anymore so it's a flawed comparison.

Losing your concentration in the last minute and undoing 89 minutes of hard work should be scorned rather than celebrated. If you follow it up with a result at home then fair play, until then though this is nothing more than a loss no matter how it's dressed up.

Feel free to call me out if you win the next one ;)

Well no it's not like that at all because City fans didn't celebrate that result, different mindset obviously. Maybe back in the days when we were at Gorgeous Georgios' level but not anymore so it's a flawed comparison.

Losing your concentration in the last minute and undoing 89 minutes of hard work should be scorned rather than celebrated. If you follow it up with a result at home then fair play, until then though this is nothing more than a loss no matter how it's dressed up.

considering the money ye have spent and who you've bought ye should have a different benchmark.

celtic played 9 players that didnt play ucl ball last year, all under 27 y/o. do you want to compare transfer fees and wages?

ya, we missed a result but we didnt embarrass ourselves like man city have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ya, we missed a result but we didnt embarrass ourselves like man city have

I'd rather be embarrassed and get a result, then not be embarrassed and get nothing.

It's like being and Ireland fan...

• Advertisement

You're like the fat cat who can't understand why the working man can't afford a luxury car and the dream holiday.

Get it through your thick skull that Celtic getting something at the Camp Nou was never on the cards but the fans are proud of the club for the display tonight.

The way you're going on you'd swear Man City were always rich and competing in Europe. The Arab money and splashing tens of millions on Gareth Barry and Joleon Lescott has obviously went to your head.

I'd rather be embarrassed and get a result, then not be embarrassed and get nothing.

It's like being and Ireland fan...

for the money manc spent, is a draw at home to dortmund a result?beforehand, ye were talking shiyte about wat score ye could do on them.

your logic is waffle tbh

considering the money ye have spent and who you've bought ye should have a different benchmark.

Looks like we agree that bringing up City was a lazy comparison seeing as the two clubs are poles apart in terms of money and expectations. We saw a last minute defeat in Madrid as unacceptable, you see a last minute defeat in Barca as a something to be proud of.

Best to just discuss tonight's result and not try come up with irrelevant deflections, eh?

Looks like we agree that bringing up City was a lazy comparison seeing as the two clubs are poles apart in terms of money and expectations. We saw a last minute defeat in Madrid as unacceptable, you see a last minute defeat in Barca as a something to be proud of.

Best to just discuss tonight's result and not try come up with irrelevant deflections, eh?

You just dont get it do you? Fair enough, 2 clubs based in the UK suffer heartbreaking last minute defeats away to Spanish giants so obviously we have so much in common, yes? Hmmm, lets look at the facts shall we, on second thoughts no, lets not even bother our arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

considering the money your sugar daddy has spent and who he has bought ye should have a different benchmark.

FYP

your ignoring how the matches played out, did ye expect to beat madrid 9/10 when ahead like that? beforehand, ye were expected to match them minimum. all things considered, where celtic suppose to match barca, all things considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I wouldn't of taught it would take an injury time goal for barca to beat celtic.I think most people expected an easy win for barca myself included.That's nothing against celtic but barca would beat most teams pretty easy.I can't believe that we have a moderator in here trolling the celtic fans :eek: I have friend who are man city fans and went to see them play in division 2 well before they got all the money to buy whoever they want but xavi please stop embarrassing yourself .Man city won the league last year and you have to run down celtic fc to make yourself feel better :rolleyes:

your ignoring how the matches played out, did ye expect to beat madrid 9/10 when ahead like that? beforehand, ye were expected to match them minimum. all things considered, where celtic suppose to match barca, all things considered?

:confused: Of course not, I'd be amazed if anyone did considering we went one up in the 68th minute.

Celtic weren't expected to match Barca, as posts by many including myself at the outset of this thread suggested, and in the end they didn't. That's my point.

Of course there are positives to take out of the game but ultimately it's still a defeat due to lapse of concentration.

'Glorious defeats' are a small time mentality though, whether it's City (I think the same about Mancini with his 'moral victory' stuff btw), Celtic, Ireland (which is a regular one) or whoever.
    mixed up wrote: »
    I wouldn't of taught it would take an injury time goal for barca to beat celtic.I think most people expected an easy win for barca myself included.That's nothing against celtic but barca would beat most teams pretty easy.I can't believe that we have a moderator in here trolling the celtic fans :eek: I have friend who are man city fans and went to see them play in division 2 well before they got all the money to buy whoever they want but xavi please stop embarrassing yourself .Man city won the league last year and you have to run down celtic fc to make yourself feel better :rolleyes:

1. Having an opinion is not 'trolling' just because you disagree with it.

2. I don't moderate this forum so that title means nothing here.

3. I went to see City play in Division 2, what's your point?

4. So what if City won the league last year? It has zero to do with commenting on a game that took place tonight.

5. I felt perfectly fine already.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I don't support celtic but they done themselves proud against barca.It's just you come across as bitter xavi because city have spent so much money and are still crap in europe.I have nothing against city as some of my friends have always supported city and have seen many bad days and i was delighted for them when aguero scored the extra time winner.I just don't see why you need to come into this thread to run down celtic on what was a very brave performance.

mixed up wrote: »
    I don't support celtic but they done themselves proud against barca.It's just you come across as bitter xavi because city have spent so much money and are still crap in europe.I have nothing against city as some of my friends have always supported city and have seen many bad days and i was delighted for them when aguero scored the extra time winner.I just don't see why you need to come into this thread to run down celtic on what was a very brave performance.

Why do the achievements, or lack thereof, of the team you support mean you can't comment on other sides? If that was the case then nobody except fans of the top side in the world could ever talk negatively about another.

Saying someone is 'bitter' just because they have a different opinion on a subject is a cheap and juvenile way of dismissal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

"Anti Football" Simple as that.

Celtic, almost, did a magnificent job defensively - but let's not get carried away here.
    A few belts up the flanks and a freekick do not make for "matching" Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

This rant has just been posted on Facebook in the last half hour, have since realised he was at the Celtic game....thinking a bit too much to drink!
    I wish all the united/liverpool bastards would support their team. Last time u invested in ur club was jjb sale!! Take a look at yourself before u goin slaggin other teams! U prob never even seen a live champs league game so go to the bookies before u talk about a club u no nothin about u pack of fcuks. All u support is bookiesya sh1te bags

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Nice to see that the stereotypes attached to the New Money in real life apply also in football. A tendency to overcompensate because they recognise they are the new kids on the block and lack the predigree of those who have been there for a significant period of time.

Celtic fans sensitive! Never :pac:

:confused: Of course not, I'd be amazed if anyone did considering we went one up in the 68th minute.

9/10 means 9 times out of 10 not 9 or 10

I'm not saying its a glorious defeat, thats your perception. As I said after the match its a lesson learned the hard way for the Celtic players but considering their age & experience at this level, I'm not going to slate them. They were close to getting a good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I don't think Celtic really have the following in Ireland they used to. I think it's embarrassing seeing young lads wearing Celtic jerseys singing sectarian songs etc we as a country have moved on from that crap only the uneducated follow through with sectarian crap!!

I can't help it I don't like Celtic I don't like the way Celtic and rangers hate each other to do with religion it's just wrong!!!

Anyone with kids keep them clear of all the Celtic crap!! My mates son is a scanger going round with Celtic jersey mouthing off bout rangers etc its just properly embarrassing!

On topic I can see barca blitzing Celtic altogether only way result can be reasonable if Celtic play 30 men instead of 11 and pack goal line and box with big men!!!!

MESSSSSSIIIIIIII

You've embarrassed the life out of yourself mate. I didn't think so many ignorant assumptions could fit into one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I have to say I often deride Scottish football, and didn't give Celtic a hope in this group. I was expecting 4 or 5 to nothing last night.

But Celtic were fantastic and so unlucky in many ways not to get the point.

It was a great game to watch and I was expecting a no-contest. SO hats off to Celtic. I can understand why their fans would feel proud after that performance.

I don't know much about Celtic's squad, but one of their black players, Ambrose I think was his name, looked a seriously good player.

Didn't think you were stupid enough to be blinded by the same irrational hatred that others on here are, thought you were a little bit more intelligent than them.

Barca, one of the best club sides of all time, took 94 minutes of huffing and puffing to score the decisive winning goal. To me it was an excellent controlled and defensive performance from a very young Celtic team, a team that has huge young players in it such as Wanyama and Forster.

We might be a 'bad side in Europe' when compared with the best in Barca but Celtic have shown this season that we are a young and promising European side regardless of what the haters say.

Morzadec wrote: »
    I have to say I often deride Scottish football, and didn't give Celtic a hope in this group. I was expecting 4 or 5 to nothing last night.

But Celtic were fantastic and so unlucky in many ways not to get the point.

It was a great game to watch and I was expecting a no-contest. SO hats off to Celtic. I can understand why their fans would feel proud after that performance.

I don't know much about Celtic's squad, but one of their black players, Ambrose I think was his name, looked a seriously good player.

Efe Ambrose, a Nigerian international, only just signed and looks a class act.

However, you might have been also getting him mixed up with Victor Wanyama, a 20 year old powerhouse Kenyan international who is going to go all the way to the top. He is phenomenal.

• Advertisement

You've embarrassed the life out of yourself mate. I didn't think so many ignorant assumptions could fit into one post.

Ironically your username actually enhances his assumptions ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement