Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona v Celtic (UEFA Champions League) K.O. 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Didn't think you were stupid enough to be blinded by the same irrational hatred that others on here are, thought you were a little bit more intelligent than them.

Barca, one of the best club sides of all time, took 94 minutes of huffing and puffing to score the decisive winning goal. To me it was an excellent controlled and defensive performance from a very young Celtic team, a team that has huge young players in it such as Wanyama and Forster.

We might be a 'bad side in Europe' when compared with the best in Barca but Celtic have shown this season that we are a young and promising European side regardless of what the haters say.

Those haters had predicted two beatings and one absolute whipping for Celtic at this stage of the competition (well to be fair they probably didn't expect to see Celtic get through the qualifiers even).

Their ignorance of the quality of the squad Lennon has built up on a tiny budget is being shown up time and again, no Celtic fan is saying player for player the Celtic squad are almost the equals of Barca but this squad is not out of place in the competition and is far better than many have given it credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Why is criticism of Celtic, or saying that you don't think they were 'brilliant' seen as irrational hatred ?

I think Xavi makes some valid points, Celtic fans will of course disagree but that doesn't mean he's blinded by some hatred or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

despite what anyone here says im immensly proud of my teams performance and glad we put it up to barca...we proved a lot of people wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Neil1984 wrote: »

Ironically your username actually enhances his assumptions ;)

Ironically it doesn't.

Educate yourself before passing comment on something you seem to know very little about.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Why is criticism of Celtic, or saying that you don't think they were 'brilliant' seen as irrational hatred ?

I think Xavi makes some valid points, Celtic fans will of course disagree but that doesn't mean he's blinded by some hatred or whatever.

It is summed up well by Graham Hunter being called a "bitter Rangers fan".

Apparently Celtic are either brilliant or you're bitter.
    Ironically it doesn't.

Educate yourself before passing comment on something you seem to know very little about.

Brilliant!

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »

I presume that's directed at me mo chara because I used the term 'irrational hatred'.

You make a false assumption in your opening sentence, Xavi never claimed that Celtic weren't brilliant, he claimed that Celtic 'are a bad side in European terms'. I would call that an irrational statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Looks like we agree that bringing up City was a lazy comparison seeing as the two clubs are poles apart in terms of money and expectations. We saw a last minute defeat in Madrid as unacceptable, you see a last minute defeat in Barca as a something to be proud of.

Best to just discuss tonight's result and not try come up with irrelevant deflections, eh?

You're starting to sound like a united fan.

I presume that's directed at me mo chara because I used the term 'irrational hatred'.

You make a false assumption in your opening sentence, Xavi never claimed that Celtic weren't brilliant, he claimed that Celtic 'are a bad side in European terms'. I would call that an irrational statement.

I used your mentioning of irrational hatred yes, but I was talking about Celtic fans here in general.

Several other posts in here that disagree with this 'brilliant performance' tag have been pounced upon by some Celtic fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Why do people have this need to respond to the 'haters'(no ,not you Jelle:))?

No matter what they say Celtic did well enough last night, really think it should have ended in a draw(where did that 4 minutes extra time come from? grrrrr!). Ah well onwards and upwards(hopefully), perhaps a win or draw at Celtic Park maybe's?

See that - I did'nt say ' A brilliant performance' from Celtic!

Brilliant!

That's me told eh?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Madam wrote: »
    Why do people have this need to respond to the 'haters'(no ,not you Jelle:))?

No matter what they say Celtic did well enough last night, really think it should have ended in a draw(where did that 4 minutes extra time come from? grrrrr!). Ah well onwards and upwards(hopefully), perhaps a win or draw at Celtic Park maybe's?

I don't understand the criticism either, it's downright stupid. There's no shame at all in losing by one goal away to Barca, better teams than Celtic have gone there and done worse.

That's me told eh?

I gave it about as much "education" and "telling off" as you gave me lad. :rolleyes:

Rhetoric and posturing isn't education. Nor is saying "you should educate yourself" and following up with silence. If anything it suggests that you think you're more intelligent than you are. But keep going, your failure to see the irony is truly hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Well my dreams of a Celtic slaughtering didn't come true but oh well

Interesting match all the same, don't think Celtic were magnificent but more that Barca were very wasteful. Should have been 2-0 up by the time Celtic scored and should have been level (and then ahead) in no time but made it difficult for themselves. Forster made a couple of good saves, but Messi should have buried that tap in hard and low and same with the header [/captain hindsight]

So annoying how it took them the whole 45 minutes of the second half to realise that tapping it from wing to wing at the edge of the box wasn't getting them anywhere and to swing a cross in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Efe Ambrose, a Nigerian international, only just signed and looks a class act.

However, you might have been also getting him mixed up with Victor Wanyama, a 20 year old powerhouse Kenyan international who is going to go all the way to the top. He is phenomenal.

Yeah it might have been him, they were both very good I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

You've embarrassed the life out of yourself mate. I didn't think so many ignorant assumptions could fit into one post.
    Not even gonna bother tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'd just like to add that my hatred of Celtic isn't irrational.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

What annoyed me was the favouritism show towards Messi on many occasions in the match! Yes Celtic did get a few soft frees but Messi got them in dangerous areas! Sick of all these soft European blowing up for anything because the are afraid of high profile players reaction.

Great effort by Celtic, not a supporter of them, but was great to see them do so well!

Eirebear wrote: »
    I'd just like to add that my hatred of Celtic isn't irrational.
    ;)

Why you would hate a football team is beyond me - 'some' of the fans yes but the team itself no.

Just as a side note - Celtic did highlight one thing last night, which is becoming more and more apparant as the seasons go by.
    Barcelona do not have a "Plan B".

Granted, they generally don't need it because their "Plan A" is so utterly good - but if a team can work hard and stop those balls through the middle the will (to use Bobby's phrase) Huff and Puff for 90 minutes.

Why you would hate a football team is beyond me - 'some' of the fans yes but the team itself no.

I don't hate Celtic fans, I take each and every person as they come - regardless of what their allegiances may be in any walk of life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

PauloMN wrote: »
    Maybe not for a Sevconian. It was amazing for Celtic fans. One day your team might be in Europe too. Division 2

Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Brilliant effort last night. The second half was compelling stuff. Hopefully they can make another fist of it in two weeks time but, either way, they have left themsleves an unexpected chance of getting out of the group. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

You just have to feel gutted for Celtic. A very good effort and something to be extremely proud of.

I gave it about as much "education" and "telling off" as you gave me lad. :rolleyes:

Rhetoric and posturing isn't education. Nor is saying "you should educate yourself" and following up with silence. If anything it suggests that you think you're more intelligent than you are. But keep going, your failure to see the irony is truly hilarious.

You're the one passing churlish comment without understanding the meaning of the word 'irony'.

Now let's debate if you want to debate or keep talking in circles if you feel you're not up to it.

Not even gonna bother tbh

Why not?

You made ridiculous comments and now, when challenged on your bigotry, you want to 'walk away'?

bigotry lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Just as a side note - Celtic did highlight one thing last night, which is becoming more and more apparant as the seasons go by.
    Barcelona do not have a "Plan B".

Granted, they generally don't need it because their "Plan A" is so utterly good - but if a team can work hard and stop those balls through the middle the will (to use Bobby's phrase) Huff and Puff for 90 minutes.

My own take on that is that Barca have accepted that shortcoming on the ground that their players are developed/bought in to fit so precisely into the way they play and that any Plan B they could come up with would just be less effective than what they're already doing.

I'm not a great believer in the Plan B philosophy though anyway. I think John Giles once put it well when he said "if you thought that was going to work then why weren't you doing it from kick-off?".

Out of interest tho, I wonder how often Barca score a necessary late goal from never changing their tactics compared to teams who did change up? Don't know where you'd get those stats but it'd be interesting reading.

The gift that keeps on giving:
    You're the one passing churlish comment without understanding the meaning of the word 'irony'.

Now let's debate if you want to debate or keep talking in circles if you feel you're not up to it.

Irony: when a user with the name of an IRA member as his username has a go at a user for insinuating that Celtic have a large sectarian following.

The essential feature of irony is the indirect presentation of a contradiction between an action or expression and the context in which it occurs.

So again, a guy using the name of a member of a sectarian group, who is also a massive Celtic fan, lecturing a fella for saying that Celtic is synonymous with sectarianism is ironic.

There's really nothing else to debate. If you can't see it (though I don't believe you to be that thick, I think you're just being intentionally obtuse) then there's nothing left to say really.

"Anti Football" Simple as that.

Celtic, almost, did a magnificent job defensively - but let's not get carried away here.
    A few belts up the flanks and a freekick do not make for "matching" Barcelona.
    ..because you were always going to say something positive about celtic

• Advertisement

Well no it's not like that at all because City fans didn't celebrate that result, different mindset obviously. Maybe back in the days when we were at Gorgeous Georgios' level but not anymore so it's a flawed comparison.

Feel free to call me out if you win the next one ;)
    all that happened you lot in the mean time was money was thrown at you.. its a beautiful game and its a shame that it can be baught.. i prefer to be a fan of a team that has a good youth system than throwing money at titles

..because you were always going to say something positive about celtic

Ummm wasn't I quickly onto the sellik thread after the spartak game to congratulate you?
    What I posted above is fact. It was almost a magnificent performance, but un the end it wasn't enough.

Now away and lie down.

Why not?

You made ridiculous comments and now, when challenged on your bigotry, you want to 'walk away'?

How can u expect anyone to take your points about Celtic with a name like bobby sands 81??

What age are you? I take it 81 is year hunger strike took place but what do you really know about bobby sands?

Off to google with you now!!!

And you referring to yourself as "mo chara" in an earlier post says it all a long post and you throw that in to do what exactly?? Speak in one language.. If you feel the need to speak in Irish then do but really?? You putting mo chara in there was pointless and silly go on you know you want to say it "tiochfaidh ar lá"?? FFS PATHETIC

Ummm wasn't I quickly onto the sellik thread after the spartak game to congratulate you?
    What I posted above is fact. It was almost a magnificent performance, but un the end it wasn't enough.

Now away and lie down.
    its Celtic... but i understand i don't know half of the teams 3 divisions away.
    enjoy clyde..

its Celtic... but i understand i don't know half of the teams 3 divisions away.
    enjoy clyde..
    Wonderful comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

all that happened you lot in the mean time was money was thrown at you.. its a beautiful game and its a shame that it can be baught.. i prefer to be a fan of a team that has a good youth system than throwing money at titles

Ah yes, players like Samaras, Commons, Hooper, Wanyama and the rest all came through the youth system right?

Step off that high horse because every club at the top level buys their titles in soe shape or form.

Beautiful game when viewed with one eye.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, players like Samaras, Commons, Hooper, Wanyama and the rest all came through the youth system right?

Step off that high horse because every club at the top level buys their titles in soe shape or form.

Beautiful game when viewed with one eye.
    we didnt pay through the nose for them either.. or we shoudnt. the english game is centred solely on money and its vile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Most teams buy players using money they have earned, not had handed to them. There's a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

How can u expect anyone to take your points about Celtic with a name like bobby sands 81??

What age are you? I take it 81 is year hunger strike took place but what do you really know about bobby sands?

Off to google with you now!!!

And you referring to yourself as "mo chara" in an earlier post says it all a long post and you throw that in to do what exactly?? Speak in one language.. If you feel the need to speak in Irish then do but really?? You putting mo chara in there was pointless and silly go on you know you want to say it "tiochfaidh ar lá"?? FFS PATHETIC

You've made a show of yourself in this thread.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    You've made a show of yourself in this thread.

Elaborate??

Is there not a charter on Boards that says 'attack the post not the poster'? If there is your getting very close to attacking the poster Dark-Knight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Elaborate??

Just say your mates posted it like you did in the Liverpool thread.:pac:

Is there not a charter on Boards that says 'attack the post not the poster'? If there is your getting very close to attacking the poster Dark-Knight.

Oops - Sorry I see back seat moding isn't allowed either! Ignore me then:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just curious.

To the people here who have branded Celtic Style "anti football" or anything in that nature tell me the tactics that you expected Celtic to play last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Just curious.

To the people here who have branded Celtic Style "anti football" or anything in that nature tell me the tactics that you expected Celtic to play last night?

This exactly. It annoyed me last week hearing english commentators complaining about the San Marino playing so defensively at wembly. I'm not comparing the gulf between them to Celtic/barca, but the principal still stands. Why would they go and attack if it's going to result in all likelihood in an embarrassing defeat? They'd be daft to do it

While we all like attacking football, those who play defensively to a rigid game plan in an attempt to get something out of sides, who on paper at least, should easily bet them should be commended IMO, much like Greece deserved every bit of praise they got for winning the euros. It wasn't pretty, but realistically it's the only way such a side can achieve results and ultimately, that's the aim of every manager

Celtic came close last night, but to come away with a narrow defeat was admirable given the gulf in budgets between the sides. I haven't done the maths, but I'm fairly sure messi earns more per year then the entire Celtic starting xi cost, an certainly more then their combined salary. With this in mind, it's completely unrealistic to exPect a club like Celtic to go there with any other game plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Just curious.

Pass the ball to a player in green and white...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

maximoose wrote: »
    Hoping for something embarassing, somewhere around the 7 or 8 mark would be lovely.
    Double figures would be magic
    Messi to get hattrick number 22 tonight.
    I would love this just to see Lennon's press conference alone. Magical.

I just hope Barca play to 30% of their ability, that ought to be enough for a 10-0 rout anyway.
    Probably because they play a fast, highly technical and extremely difficult brand of football that focuses on one of the most difficult skills in the game - keeping the ball - whereas Celtic play hoofball sh*te unless they're up against the plumbers and builders from Raith Rovers.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Shouldn't the thread title include 'How many will Messi score?'.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Barca shouldnt need to worry about their defence tonight.

If the front 5 can do the business it will be Barca at a canter, 3 or 4 nil.

If Celtic can keep a clean sheet for the first 90 minutes they have a chance.
    I don't think Celtic really have the following in Ireland they used to. I think it's embarrassing seeing young lads wearing Celtic jerseys singing sectarian songs etc we as a country have moved on from that crap only the uneducated follow through with sectarian crap!!

I can't help it I don't like Celtic I don't like the way Celtic and rangers hate each other to do with religion it's just wrong!!!

Anyone with kids keep them clear of all the Celtic crap!! My mates son is a scanger going round with Celtic jersey mouthing off bout rangers etc its just properly embarrassing!

On topic I can see barca blitzing Celtic altogether only way result can be reasonable if Celtic play 30 men instead of 11 and pack goal line and box with big men!!!!

MESSSSSSIIIIIIII
    CSF wrote: »
    7 nil barca please.
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    This'll be a complete procession, better ties for the neutral to watch tonight!
    john47832 wrote: »
    Would be nothing short of a mircale if they got 40

Barca should score 4 or more too...
    keith16 wrote: »
    I suppose it will only be 7 or 8-1 now :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Nae Luck, much did yous have on it?

As a Celtic fan who was in The Nou Camp last night, I'm gutted we never came away with anything, but our heads are high and I'm proud as hell. We parked the bus, and what??? How many teams go there and play in an attacking format. They're the best team in world football and we had a go. 4 appearances there in the last 9 years, 0-0, 1-1, 1-0 and 2-1. How have all the English teams fared there in recent years????
    Lazy and inaccurate comparison but you run with it.

All tonight does is give Celtic fans false hope, still a bad side in European terms :)
    Man City fan these days? I'd say in recent years you've supported Man Utd and Chelsea, The Xavi username on here just to cover your back for when Barca win??? Poor show for a mod imo giving a warning for this.
    mixed up wrote: »
    I wouldn't of taught it would take an injury time goal for barca to beat celtic.I think most people expected an easy win for barca myself included.That's nothing against celtic but barca would beat most teams pretty easy.I can't believe that we have a moderator in here trolling the celtic fans :eek: I have friend who are man city fans and went to see them play in division 2 well before they got all the money to buy whoever they want but xavi please stop embarrassing yourself .Man city won the league last year and you have to run down celtic fc to make yourself feel better :rolleyes:

Would be nothing short of a mircale if they got 40

Barca should score 4 or more too...

I was half right - 18% possession is a far way off 40%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pass the ball to a player in green and white...

No keep going you have got off to good enough start.

So yes pass it to Celtic player and tell me what they do next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Don't encourage it

Park the bus?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement