Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona v Celtic (UEFA Champions League) K.O. 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

:rolleyes: Nae Luck, much did yous have on it

I think keith was being sarcastic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

john47832 wrote: »
    Park the bus?

correct;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Eirebear wrote: »
    Just as a side note - Celtic did highlight one thing last night, which is becoming more and more apparant as the seasons go by.
    Barcelona do not have a "Plan B".

Granted, they generally don't need it because their "Plan A" is so utterly good - but if a team can work hard and stop those balls through the middle the will (to use Bobby's phrase) Huff and Puff for 90 minutes.

What could their plan B actually be? They can't lump the ball into the box when the opposition is camped on the 18 yard line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Man City fan these days? I'd say in recent years you've supported Man Utd and Chelsea, The Xavi username on here just to cover your back for when Barca win??? Poor show for a mod imo giving a warning for this.

Yep City since 2007 and proud bro :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Xavi6 wrote: »

I'm saying this out of pure satire, but thats ... convenient. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Who did you support before that?

Who did you support before that?

Jeez where do I start?

Well I started watching football when it was first invented by Sky in 1992. Since then it's been a lot of United, a couple of seasons with Chelsea and Arsenal, and of course SAS in 1994/95. Good times.

Now though, it's new money all the way :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

There is some about of embarrassing ****e spouted in this thread... some people need to type, look away and count to 10 then read what they have typed before pressing the post button. This will save them some embarrassment later.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shano1888

Pass the ball to a player in green and white...

Genius!! Then what? Celtic got it spot on tactically last night. It was an extremely mature performance. Good luck getting the rest of your badges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Jeez where do I start?

Well I started watching football when it was first invented by Sky in 1992. Since then it's been a lot of United, a couple of seasons with Chelsea and Arsenal, and of course SAS in 1994/95. Good times.

Now though, it's new money all the way :cool:

Shouldn't you be busy watching city struggle against Ajax instead of being funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

shano1888 wrote: »
    Genius!! Then what? Celtic got it spot on tactically last night. It was an extremely mature performance. Good luck getting the rest of your badges.

Thats what we were saying brains, they parked the bus and hoped for the best.
    18% possession would indicate the inability to find a teammate with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Just curious.

To the people here who have branded Celtic Style "anti football" or anything in that nature tell me the tactics that you expected Celtic to play last night?

I expected them to play exactly those tactics, however many of those same people who are describing them as "Brilliant" are the very ones who villify other teams for it.

:rolleyes: Nae Luck, much did yous have on it?

Won me a few bets:

- Celtic to be so sub standard that they concede from a cross - anytime 4/1

- No Celtic players to score - fiver at 1/100

- Barcelona to WIN - 1/2000

Jackpot.
    As a Celtic fan who was in The Nou Camp last night, I'm gutted we never came away with anything, but our heads are high and I'm proud as hell. We parked the bus, and what??? How many teams go there and play in an attacking format. They're the best team in world football and we had a go. 4 appearances there in the last 9 years, 0-0, 1-1, 1-0 and 2-1. How have all the English teams fared there in recent years????

The last 9 years .... lol .... Barca last night and Barca 2003 is like comparing Lamborghinis and Ladas.

The English teams, on account of being good, get the Barca A game. In the past 5 years Chelsea and Liverpool have won there, United drew nil all and Arsenal got boomed 4 nil. So a 50% win rate to answer your question. That's 50% more than Celtic just in case you missed it.
    Man City fan these days? I'd say in recent years you've supported Man Utd and Chelsea, The Xavi username on here just to cover your back for when Barca win??? Poor show for a mod imo giving a warning for this.

:rolleyes: He doesn't mod this forum.

I expected them to play exactly those tactics, however many of those same people who are describing them as "Brilliant" are the very ones who villify other teams for it.
    We had 2 up front EB and any opportunity to get the ball up to them we tried, pity they couldn't hold it long enough and Barca kept the pressure on. Anti-football would be more playing with no strikers, or even one who is sitting as deep as can be. We were far from brilliant, but we had a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

rangers got labelled anti football for parking the bus against average teams, teams ye should be looking to attack alot more than ye did

• Advertisement

Thats what we were saying brains, they parked the bus and hoped for the best.
    18% possession would indicate the inability to find a teammate with the ball.

Just to put some perspective on that figure, one of the most successful English teams in recent years, Chelsea, managed a possession total of 30% in 2009 and 24% last April in the Nou Camp, down from 30% in Stamford Bridge in the 1st leg.

I presume you also believe that such a low possession stat is proof that players like Lampard, Terry and Drogba are just not of sufficient quality to successfully pass the ball to a team-mate?

Won me a few bets:

Jackpot.

The last 9 years .... lol .... Barca last night and Barca 2003 is like comparing Lamborghinis and Ladas.

The English teams, on account of being good, get the Barca A game. In the past 5 years Chelsea and Liverpool have won there, United drew nil all and Arsenal got boomed 4 nil. So a 50% win rate to answer your question. That's 50% more than Celtic just in case you missed it.

:rolleyes: He doesn't mod this forum.
    Bookies paid out on Samaras, but there you go. 1/2000? hope that covered your losses on the 10-0 rout you said yesterday. He might not mod this forum, but he's no sure what team he'll be supporting from one end of the year to the next :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Won me a few bets:

Jackpot.

I hit the jackpot with the following bet

- There will be a load of Celtic haters with nothing else to do but post childish posts in the Barca v Celtic thread £100 at 10/1 ... kerching

We had 2 up front EB and any opportunity to get the ball up to them we tried, pity they couldn't hold it long enough and Barca kept the pressure on. Anti-football would be more playing with no strikers, or even one who is sitting as deep as can be. We were far from brilliant, but we had a go

ye had two up front yes - but as i said, that amounted to nothing. A couple of punts up the wings and a freekick or two.
    Remember it was Forrest at the back post for the goal.
    Dempsey wrote: »
    rangers got labelled anti football for parking the bus against average teams, teams ye should be looking to attack alot more than ye did

Rangers got labelled "Anti-Football by Lionel Messi after we played them - the name stuck.
    Also, it worked for Rangers at that point.

I have absolutely no issue with playing to your strengths, and trying to stop the opposition from playing. In fact i have staunchly defended it on here in the past - but let's not kid ourselves that it was anything other than that.

In fairness I wouldn't care how Celtic played if we got to a European final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Will there ever be a match thread, without Celtic and Rangers supporters arguing about stuff, which is not really related to the match itself?

Just wondering ;)

we didnt play that style against benfica or spartak, rangers parked the bus in almost every match against european opposition in smiths final 2 years at least

i never said it was anything other than what it was, an almost great defensive display against one of the greatest club sides ever in their own back yard.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Will there ever be a match thread, without Celtic and Rangers supporters arguing about stuff, which is not really related to the match itself?

Just wondering ;)

TBH - I'm not trying to argue with Celtic fans, it just seems that there are certain people on here who don't like the fact that others have an opinion and prefer to lash out.
    I've been fairly positive towards Celtic's performance last night - if it hadn't been for switching off for the last few seconds of the match it would have been an absolutely outstanding performance.

Put it this way - I havnt once mentioned rangers in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I hit the jackpot with the following bet

- There will be a load of Celtic haters with nothing else to do but post childish posts in the Barca v Celtic thread £100 at 10/1 ... kerching

Always the same, can't come in a Celtic fan to post your own thoughts (which just so happen to conflict with those of Celtic fans) without being labelled a Celtic hater :)

TBH - I'm not trying to argue with Celtic fans, it just seems that there are certain people on here who don't like the fact that others have an opinion and prefer to lash out.
    I've been fairly positive towards Celtic's performance last night - if it hadn't been for switching off for the last few seconds of the match it would have been an absolutely outstanding performance.

Put it this way - I havnt once mentioned rangers in this thread.

I was not talking about you, don't worry ;)

you were obviously referring to the label rangers got earlier in this thread and the double standards of certain buzzwords etc

you were obviously referring to the label rangers got earlier in this thread and the double standards of certain buzzwords etc

Me?

I just think, it's boring to read the same stuff over and over again ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »

Me?

I just think, it's boring to read the same stuff over and over again ;)

that post was in reference to eirebears last post.

after the first page, this thread was only going to end in one way really

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Wonder is Xavi6 enjoying tonight's scoreline lol?

All the money in the world can't buy you what the Celtic team had last night. City players fighting among themselves 3-1 down over who takes a free kick.

I'd support Celtic a million times over that bunch of over-paid primadonnas.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Wonder is Xavi6 enjoying tonight's scoreline lol?

All the money in the world can't buy you what the Celtic team had last night. City players fighting among themselves 3-1 down over who takes a free kick.

I'd support Celtic a million times over that bunch of over-paid primadonnas.

/waves

Hello!

More than happy to take your jibes on the chin, all part of the fun on the internetz.

I wouldn't want to support a team in a one horse town but each to their own eh? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

/waves

Hello!

More than happy to take your jibes on the chin, all part of the fun on the internetz.

I wouldn't want to support a team in a one horse town but each to their own eh? ;)

:D

That's the problem, you don't support a team. You support a collection of very decent players who don't know the meaning of the word team.

Look at Celtic last night for the definition of what teamwork is. ;)

/waves

Hello!

I wouldn't want to support a team that would be in administration inside a month if the owners left. ;)

That's the problem, you don't support a team. You support a collection of very decent players who don't know the meaning of the word team.

Oh I don't know, there's been plenty of gutsy fight backs to suggest there's a team in there amongst the wads of cash stockpiled around them.

P.S. This is the sort of ribbing that should be alright on the SF, it's not 'trolling' or anything of the sort. Just a few cheap shots and no sensitivity ;)

He'll be supporting a more successful team soon enough though

I wouldn't want to support a team that would be in administration inside a month if the owners left. ;)

Of course, but you play the hand you're dealt. For richer and for poorer and all that.

At least it's interesting, unlike the SPL by November :pac:

/waves

Hello!

Oh yeah, acting all nice now...I know exactly what you are up to and the answer is No, you can't have Samaras back!!!

/waves

Hello!

I wouldn't want to support a team in a one horse town league but each to their own eh? ;)

Fixed that for ya ;)

Of course, but you play the hand you're dealt. For richer and for poorer and all that.

are celtic not playing the hand they've been dealt?

all this spin, did you apply for a job in the dail or something?

Oh yeah, acting all nice now...I know exactly what you are up to and the answer is No, you can't have Samaras back!!!

He wants to play with a quality European outfit. ;)

• Advertisement

I won't lie, I did get Samaras on my shirt when he signed :o

I support Celtic, not the SPL. If you support a team because of the league they're in, more power to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Joe hart is a poor mans Fraser forster (actually a rich mans)

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya ;)
    Yip, the other horse was put down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

As you say, you play the hand you dealt. You don't stop supporting a club because it becomes the dominant force in a one horse league, or because it's been bought by a crowd intent on creating a situation whereby they are the dominant force in a one horse league

Yip, the other horse was put down ;)

Stop flogging it then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

How can u expect anyone to take your points about Celtic with a name like bobby sands 81??

What age are you? I take it 81 is year hunger strike took place but what do you really know about bobby sands?

Off to google with you now!!!

And you referring to yourself as "mo chara" in an earlier post says it all a long post and you throw that in to do what exactly?? Speak in one language.. If you feel the need to speak in Irish then do but really?? You putting mo chara in there was pointless and silly go on you know you want to say it "tiochfaidh ar lá"?? FFS PATHETIC

What do I know about Bobby Sands? Considering I wrote my thesis for my first degree on his life and some of Freud and Lacan's theories then I'd say I know a bit about him.

The rest of your rant is quite confusing Dark Knight...

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Stop flogging it then ;)

Previous owners reckon it's still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Previous owners reckon it's still alive.
    they put its saddle on a new horse and named it the same but we all know the difference

rte cant get the celtic players names right either

they put its saddle on a new horse and named it the same but we all know the difference

All their grand national wins still count 'cause they won them on that saddle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement