Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web host won't transfer domain, getting the run around

Options
  • 23-10-2012 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

About a year ago a friend of mine in business took over a competitor's business. It's a small, local business. As part of this, the previous owner was to transfer the company domain name to my friend and the hosting of the website to a host my friend did business with. He didn't do this and the hosting (not the domain name) expired, with hosting fees outstanding.

The first thing my friend knew about this when an "account suspended" message displayed in place of the web site.

Between himself, the previous owner, and the IEDR he got the domain name transferred, but was advised by the IEDR that only the current host could transfer the site to the new host. So he got on to them. While on the phone to them, they talked him through an online transfer process on their website. That seemed to complete and he got an email asking him to click a link to confirm his email address to complete the process. He did this.

A week later, with the site still having not being tranferred, he called them. They said they received no instruction to transfer the site and could not take instruction from him because as far as their records were concerned he is not the registered owner of the domain, the previous owner is (a whois search clearly showed he was). When he logged in to his control panel on the hosts site he has no domains listed.

So, he got on to me, who wouldn't know a whole lot more about domain/site transfer situations as he does (which is not much). I went to the hosts support page on their site and opened a support ticket in my friend's name explaining the situation. They didn't respond to this. He didn't even get an auto-response.

My friend suspects they are looking for the outstanding hosting fees. Either way, they are ignoring/giving him the run around and he is wondering what to do next. The timing of this problem is disastrous for him as it conicides with a big (for him) advertising campaign which is really his last shot at this business. The site is critical to the business. Would this fall under ComReg's remit? Should he go legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Moved from Servers&Systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

They must be on boards. They rang about 30 minutes after I posted :). That's after steadfastly refusing to help before.

As a matter of interest, would this sort of situation be in ComReg's remit?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Aside from the usual disclaimer that Comreg are useless and incompetent, it doesn't seem to come under their remit. Their telecoms coverage seems still be a relic of the POTS system and reflects that.

http://www.comreg.ie/telecoms/telecoms.565.html

Advertisement