Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seminary Records???

• 23-10-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

After a recent interview with an elderly Aunt of mine, she told me that she had heard as a child that my Grandfather was training to be a priest in the early 1900's
    I was aware that he had "worked" in a well known college, which was then a well known diocesan seminary. He had told younger members of the family this.
    Would there be anyway of proving/disproving this story with records? has anybody had any experience of checking seminary records? Is it possible to do so?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's a good question. I've never tried this route. I'd imagine that records are held by each organisation (i.e. St Patricks...) Another option to explore would be that the records may have been transferred to the relevant archbishop's palace. I'd start with a phone call to the organisation and ask straight up if they had records, where they were and if they are accessible to the public.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

This index of St. Patrick's, Maynooth students and ordinations and this one of St. Patrick's, Carlow students and ordinations might help.

The NLI has all sorts of publications and documents concerning the two seminaries/colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Thank you both for your replies!
    Pinky Pinky: I was fascinated when my Aunt told me this ( she is in her 80's and was disowned by her father for marrying a Protestant). He was a staunch R.C! Anything I could find out in relation to his time spent in the seminary would answer a lot of questions we have about the man. My aunt who resides in the UK has asked me to try and find out some info if I can.
    I'm aware the college in question has an archivist so I guess he is the person to make contact with however I'm worried that being "the church" they may dismiss my query!

Advertisement