Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Stew (Which Guinness)

Options
  • 23-10-2012 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

This recipe calls for a 500ml can of Guinness. It doesn't say whether it's Draught or Extra Stout. I only have Draught in the fridge. I know ES is preferred for BBQ's...

Is it worth popping out for a bottle of ES? Please say no :o

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 531 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I use a regular can of draught Guinness. It always works out fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Great! Thanks :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

This is much superior stout and works amazing in stews.

3135_o-haras-leann-follain-1327453204.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Slim chance of me picking up a bottle today, but I'll have to get my hands on it at some stage. Sounds great. Where can I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

awh this is exactly what i want tonight--must head to shops :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Slim chance of me picking up a bottle today, but I'll have to get my hands on it at some stage. Sounds great. Where can I get it?

A lot of decent independent off licenses stock it as well as some Tesco's and Supervalu.

A chef from the Shelbourne hotel has a recipe for beef stew using it on here. http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7666&p=86824&hilit=beef+shin#p86824

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

i find a can of Beamish or a btl of the Aldi stout O'Shea's better than Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

May sound odd but I find that a Guinness stew is better without Guinness! Using something lighter like Bass, Newcastle, or even a smithwicks or even a lager turns out better I think. The Guinness taste in there is just not pleasant to me. Do not get me wrong I love Guinness, I just think there are better beers to use in a stew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Most Dunnes, Tesco, O'Brien's, a lot of carry out's, some super valu's and **** tons of little local offies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This recipe calls for a 500ml can of Guinness. It doesn't say whether it's Draught or Extra Stout. I only have Draught in the fridge. I know ES is preferred for BBQ's...

Is it worth popping out for a bottle of ES? Please say no :o

If you are going to use a guinness, use the Extra Stout or even better the foriegn extra, the normal draught is pretty pish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Made it this eve- just a draught guinness can. beautiful, but will try out different stout

Advertisement