Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

principals rights query

• 23-10-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

my niece was calling into the principals office due to a girl complaining that she was being ostracized from her company. anyway. the principal asked her a few questions such as if she had a tv in her bedroom. my question is this. is it ok for the principal to ask her into the office on her own and ask her if she has a tv in her room.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I don't really understand what you are asking. can you give some more information as to me it seems either you have left out something or else we aren't being told the full story.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, it's ok for a principal to see a child on their own, would you prefer she be questioned in front of the class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Yes, it's ok for a principal to see a child on their own, would you prefer she be questioned in front of the class?

Perfectly legit to do so but foolish to be in a room alone with a child. There should be another adult present even if just to protect the principal from any allegations ... such as untoward questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Very foolish, as being alone with a child goes against all child protection guidelines. If you have concerns about this I would suggest that you request it not happen again.

In relation to the question, the principal can ask whatever they want, so long as it is reasonable.

There are two reasons why the principal might ask about a TV. One is simply conversation, to settle the child down before discussing the real problem with her. The second and more likey reason is that the child is very quiet, and the principal is wondering what level of social interaction the child enjoys at home. This is more likely, given the nature of the complaint by the other child.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our principal, like the learning support and resource teachers would often meet children alone, all our doors have glass panels through which there is a clear view of the room.Schools don't have "spare" adults to stand in the room when one teacher is talking to a child.

• Advertisement
Advertisement