Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

send cv with contact details for referees

Options
  • 23-10-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I usually leave referees off my cv and supply them at a later stage but I'm applying for a job that asks for the application to include details for referees.
    If I was actually at the final stages I'd happily give them my current manager's name, but certainly don't want her contacted unless I'm in with a good chance of getting the job....
    Basically - my question is - Do I need to include them at this stage? If I leave my cv with the usual 'referees available on request' does it just look like I haven't bothered to read their instructions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Usually you don't bother to contact references until you're down to making an offer level or at least top 2/3 candidates so depends on how comfortable you are with your manager and if you can speak to them now about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Personally, I would leave them off the c.v. I think that's considered standard these days. I just have a note on my c.v. saying "Referee details available on request".
    If you're writing a cover letter or application letter, you could explain why the referee details are not there just now, and say you can provide them at interview stage, or later.
    They are bound to have come across this before. I'm sure there are other applicants in the "same boat" as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

I would say if the application has requested referee details to be included, you should include them. It is unlikely they would contact the referees unless they want to offer you the position. There is however nothing wrong with writing a note stating you don't want your referees contacting without your permission.

Advertisement