Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finner camp..

Options
  • 23-10-2012 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for a little info.

I'll be spending a few nights in Finner Camp, I understand its between Ballyshannon and Bundoran.

I've never been up this neck of the woods so just a little info please.

Are these towns within walking distance or will I get a taxi, and a decent mid-week boozer recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Both towns are just about within walking distance (3 or 4 km from Finner to both its pretty much in the middle)

but i guess if you boozing then taxis would be the way to go.

as for pubs down there, been to long since i was there to really say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

You could walk to Fundoran in about 15 minutes. Ballyshannon, probably about half hour but that could just be me ;). Plenty of taxi drivers in both towns.

Bundoran really feels like a ghost town midweek out of season but a few nice pubs. Same deal with Ballyshannon.

I recommend Georges Bar in Bundoran or Finn McCools in Ballyshannon. Both small bars so, if anyone in there, chance to have some banter.

Edit: You can't go wrong with Maddens Bridge Bar either. Always a few in there

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Hi Makikomi,

The camp is roughly a mile from both towns, lovely area. Taxis are readily available from both and shouldn't be overly expensive. Ballyshannon has a few decent pubs but the lads in the camp should be able to recommend the best ones. Bundoran has plenty pubs also, but can be a bit touristy at times.

Hope this helps & you enjoy your stay in our county!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As others have said it's within walking distance but it can be bleak there from this time of year onwards and as its right on the sea there is always a bit of a wind blowing. The good news is that the road is no longer the N15 as a new section was built a while back and bypasses the 2 towns so if you were walking its only local traffic you have to deal with ....as in staggering a little on the way back from the pub ;)

Taxis are the only way to go and as mentioned above some of the lads in the camp will advise you of the best pubs around.

If its any help here's a link to the map of the area on the OSI website. Just zoom in for a closer look at the camp or use google street view :)

Hmmm.... *thinks* I am in a dispute with Three mobile over in the talk to forum. I am getting nowhere fast. Phone shop used, Three Bundoran. Makikomi, the martial arts expert coming to town......hmmm ;)

• Advertisement

Hmmm.... *thinks* I am in a dispute with Three mobile over in the talk to forum. I am getting nowhere fast. Phone shop used, Three Bundoran. Makikomi, the martial arts expert coming to town......hmmm ;)
    Dont be putting ideas into his head :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

muffler wrote: »
    Dont be putting ideas into his head :p

Shad'up you :p

Thanks guys, only two counties I've never been to ~ Donegal and Kerry so now I'm down to just one..

I love the Donegal accent (on the wimmin folk).

I'm looking forward to getting out for a few now, thanks.

(on the wimmin folk).

I'm looking forward to getting out for a few now
    Lock up your daughters guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Going to talk to the c/o and get a camp lock down for them few nights:D.Enjoy the beers

Well I came, seen and legged it :mad:

We went into Bundoran, in one pub my mate was attacked twice in the space of an hour

Can't remember the name of the bar (opposite Atlantic Aparthotel), it had an open fire around the middle and a nice bar girl named Clougdha who apologized for what happened but we thought better of it and left.

Thanks for the help all the same guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

We went into Bundoran, in one pub my mate was attacked twice in the space of an hour

Can't remember the name of the bar (opposite Atlantic Aparthotel), it had an open fire around the middle and a nice bar girl named Clougdha who apologized for what happened but we thought better of it and left.

very sorry to here this it is very embarassing to bad you cant go for a few beers with out some twat loooking to fight.We aint all that bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I must apologise for the bad experience you & your friends had. It was not a reflection of what pubs & bars are about around Donegal. If you visit again you are likely to have a more enjoyable experience. Maybe a visit further North West is in order next time.

Ah lads it could (and does) happen everywhere.. Not to worry, I was just coming back to the thread to say I was there and I'm gone..

Once again thanks for the help.

Still its a pity to have your first trip to our county spoiled by some lout or louts. As you say it can and does happen anywhere but really and truly the incident would not be what we would expect people to encounter on the first visit or indeed any visit for that matter. Hopefully it hasn't given you a bad impression of the county though.

As suggested by someone else if you manage to get up this way again head a bit more into the centre of the county and if you ever get to Ballybofey give me a shout for a pint :)

Sorry you had a bad experience. I know the name of the pub above but dunno if I should say. Just glad it wasn't on my list of places you should go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Also, try Bing Maps for really up to date and close detail (count those sheep) of Donegal. Choose Aerial View, not birdseye. It seems to be late winter 2012 in BingLand.

Advertisement