Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welder Problem

Options
  • 23-10-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I have a sureweld 250 mig welder (its quite old, 10 years+) and last night it started tripping the switch on the fuse board everytime I pulled the trigger. It didn't even need to be arcing with the steel - just pull the trigger on the gun to set the wire running and it would trip out.
    Its not the gun or the nozzle as I took off the gun completely and tried to put the welder running by crossing the 2 points coming out of the welder with a wire and it still tripped. If I turn down the amps real low it wont trip but it is drawing serious power (the lights in the workshop dim just trying to put it running and it isn't even welding)
    I hope I am making this clear. I am not in any way electrically minded.
    Can someone please point me as to where the problem may lie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What size is the mcb that its tripping? Its probably the current surge the welder transformer takes each time its started, or the MCB is too small, or a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

or it could be the type of mcb. Welders should be type D, unless i'm mistaken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dufftronic wrote: »
    or it could be the type of mcb. Welders should be type D, unless i'm mistaken

Type C should do it, once the proper size is in the circuit in the first place.

Advertisement