Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT a bike..

• 23-10-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

Asking this for a mate..How complicated is it to VRT a bike nowadays, He's a bit confused about what you REALLY need to bring...he doesnt have an invoice and just has a ferry boarding card...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

bring everything you can - think its the NCT crowd doing it these days, and vrting bikes is slightly different then for cars (as its purely down to age and cc. Not cost)

may be worthwhile doing up a dated handwritten receipt - just in case..

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section3 would be a better list

when I did mine years back, I just needed ID, and a certificate of export from NI (brand new bike, never registered in NI). Typically, you'd need a V5 from the UK, or some sort of registration paperwork from where its originating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

You get a quote, and pay at your local NTCS centre.

http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html

If the bike has a large engine, be prepared to sell a kidney to pay the VRT as it is based on engine size, not the cost of the bike or its age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

No harm for him to fill in this link
    https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

Will save on any shocks when he gets to the nct centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You get a quote, and pay at your local NTCS centre.

http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html

If the bike has a large engine, be prepared to sell a kidney to pay the VRT as it is based on engine size, not the cost of the bike or its age.

It's not that bad. It's €2 per cc upto 350cc and €1 for every cc above, you then get 10% off per year. They don't charge for extras like on cars so you can buy fully loaded and pay the same as bare bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Asking this for a mate..How complicated is it to VRT a bike nowadays, He's a bit confused about what you REALLY need to bring...he doesnt have an invoice and just has a ferry boarding card...

I vrt'd a bike a short while ago, and they asked for an invoice. They took a copy of it, and attached it to their papework - mind you, it was only one I'd typed up, so not exactly an insurmountable problem.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's not that bad. It's €2 per cc upto 350cc and €1 for every cc above, you then get 10% off per year. They don't charge for extras like on cars so you can buy fully loaded and pay the same as bare bones.

€1200 for my 850 cc bike (new). It's scandalous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not as bad as cars. They can get a quote and when they go to pay get charged loads more for extras. At least we know exactly how much it'll cost and can budget accordingly.

BTW what is the pre tax price, what % of the new price was VRT?

Not that I agree with the tax or level but it's here and not going to go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Actually, it's not.

I know it galls to pay them anything, but bikes aren't as cheap as you think in other jurisdicitions either, and in some, much higher than here (Scandanavia, Denmark, for example).

If it really bugs you, buy a used bike - problem solved.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Actually, it's not.

I know it galls to pay them anything, but bikes aren't as cheap as you think in other jurisdicitions either, and in some, much higher than here (Scandanavia, Denmark, for example).

If it really bugs you, buy a used bike - problem solved.

I bought the bike in the UK. If I lived there, or left the bike there then it was just bike cost + 20% VAT (I didn't actually pay UK VAT as I bought bike for export).

When I imported it to here, it was bike cost + 23% Irish VAT + €1200 VRT.
    VRT + VAT accounted for practically a third of the overall cost of the bike. I don't know about Denmark, but compared to the UK, it is very expensive).

It's also unfair to penalise those who wish to buy a larger cc bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I bought the bike in the UK. If I lived there, or left the bike there then it was just bike cost + 20% VAT (I didn't actually pay UK VAT as I bought bike for export).

When I imported it to here, it was bike cost + 23% Irish VAT + €1200 VRT.
    VRT + VAT accounted for practically a third of the overall cost of the bike. I don't know about Denmark, but compared to the UK, it is very expensive).

It's also unfair to penalise those who wish to buy a larger cc bike.

Why didnt you just pay the uk vat then..? and pay the vrt here....or stick 6000km on it in 6 months and pay no vat..
    As far as I can remember the system has always been €2/cc up to 350 and €1 /cc after..

• Advertisement

Why didnt you just pay the uk vat then..? and pay the vrt here....or stick 6000km on it in 6 months and pay no vat..
    As far as I can remember the system has always been €2/cc up to 350 and €1 /cc after..

If new and VAT is paid in the UK, I'd still have to pay VAT in Ireland. I would have to leave it in the UK for 6 months and rack up a certain amount of millage (can't recall how much) before it would be classed as 'not new'. Due to the amount of traveling I do, this was not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How's the bike going for you CR?

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How's the bike going for you CR?

It's brilliant thanks.

Don't want to derail this thread any further though, so I'll leave it at that. :D

Advertisement