Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Chrome laptop

• 23-10-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭

Just seen this being advertised, looks decent value at 250 dollars. Small drive, flash storage i think. Just for a 10 year old girl. It looks like an ultrabook? Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

emo72 wrote: »
    Any opinions?

Google Chrome OS only works when connected to the internet, the browser is the operating system, so to speak. Without a permanent connection, these gadgets are useless.

It's not the first attempt. Google pulled this stunt already in 2010, last year, Acer and Samsung tried to sell "Chromebooks", they never really took off. I doubt, the third generation will fare much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Thanks torqay I didn't realize that. In fairness it's going to be in the house all the time. Surely it will play music and watch movies off line. 6 hour battery life is useful. No rush, i will check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Torqay wrote: »
    Google Chrome OS only works when connected to the internet, the browser is the operating system, so to speak. Without a permanent connection, these gadgets are useless.

It's not the first attempt. Google pulled this stunt already in 2010, last year, Acer and Samsung tried to sell "Chromebooks", they never really took off. I doubt, the third generation will fare much better.

I disagree, its a perfectly handy tool for someone browsing and working offline and will a nice fast media machine also

http://blogs.computerworld.com/cloud-computing/20486/chrome-os-offline

Just for a 10 year old girl.

Have you seen this?

listermint wrote: »
    I disagree, its a perfectly handy tool for someone browsing and working offline and will a nice fast media machine also

Friend of mine bought a Samsung Chromebook in the states last year, paid over 400 dollar. The hype was over within a week and turned quickly into frustration, since then it's catching dust. And yes, she tried the Google Docs and Google Mail apps to "stay productive" while being offline.

• Advertisement

Have you seen this?

ha ha, she'd hit me with that!

Think positive! If it can be used as a weapon, it means it can take some abuse. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

they showed up at work today. All I know about them is they appear to run on some form of electricity.

Overheal wrote: »
    they showed up at work today. All I know about them is they appear to run on some form of electricity.

Well spotted. If you can get a closer look at one that would be great!

If you can get a closer look at one that would be great!

While you're at it, check the "media player" in Chrome OS, according to to Wiki it can "play back MP3s and view JPEGs"! LOL

• Advertisement

While you're at it, check the "media player" in Chrome OS, according to to Wiki it can "play back MP3s and view JPEGs"! LOL
    I'd imagine that I could download any media player from the playstore?

I'd imagine that I could download any media player from the playstore?

Playstore is mostly about Android (a very different OS) and while they do offer VLC there, it is not (yet) available for Chrome OS, so I'd say media format support is rather bleak at the moment.

I suggest, you'll wait for the first real world reviews rather than jumping to conclusions from the article listermint has linked. Some nerd doing his Robinson Crusoe thing and trying to survive on a Chromebook offline for two weeks is a different matter entirely. He mentioned a lot of things Google has promised to do in the coming weeks and months but all this remains to be seen and the good people at Google know very well that offline usability is crucial as the lack thereof was the downfall of previous attempts to sell laptops with Chrome OS. And the great news that I now can play Angry Birds or Pac Man offline really don't blow me away. :D

There are some offline capabilities now for chromebooks like google docs, but it's still designed to be pretty much used fully online and through the browser (chrome).

A lot of people think that chromebooks run on android and that you can use android apps on them - this is not the case - chrome os is not android...

might be interested in this as a web-browsing laptop but will wait to see more reviews...

also I wonder how much it will end up costing in Ireland if it ever makes it here...

Advertisement