Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC and Teletext

• 23-10-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

UPC Digital supports old fashioned analog teletext, and as a teletext nut I've found it cool to find out it records it too along with the original show. I have some old recordings going back years on the media box and it's like finding an old newspaper reading the news on teletext from the time of the recording.

With the analog switch off, Aertel will disappear tomorrow. UPC are meant to be launched the new digital version, but when? I know many UPC customers are ready for tomorrow safe knowing they will not be affected, but are UPC ready for the many folk out there who may complain (like my parents) who rely on teletext every day for news and such.

Perhaps UPC have done a deal with RTE to keep analog Aertel on their platform until digital Aertel is ready.

That said, I will also miss Ceefax as I can never see the BBC release a version which works on UPC boxes. Shame.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

This brings back memories.

I used to track football scores on teletext in the 1980s. The reception was bad, so the text would sometimes be garbled. It was better when I visited my aunt's, but they never understood why I was happy reading a teleprompt. I guess Sky Sports News has filled that gap; for an inexplicable Saturday afternoon reading choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Interesting, no word yet from UPC, but RTE digital have blogged Aertel Digital will be on UPC tomorrow http://www.rte.ie/blogs/digital/2012/10/23/new-digital-rte-aertel-design-launched/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

Where and how do we get aertel digital on UPC?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

UPC analog (Dublin) still has teletext on

RTE1
    NET2
    TV 3
    TG 4
    Setanta
    Channel 4
    3e

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

UPC Digital supports old fashioned analog teletext, and as a teletext nut I've found it cool to find out it records it too along with the original show.
    Some video recorders did that too if you want to do some archaeology ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

decies wrote: »
    Where and how do we get aertel digital on UPC?

It never launched. That RTÉ Digital blog post is still there but the story on Aertel itself changed to read that "analogue" (WST) Aertel would remain available on UPC which it still is.

Compare:

http://www.rte.ie/blogs/digital/2012/10/23/new-digital-rte-aertel-design-launched/

with

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1024/digital-switchover-television.html
    UPC analog (Dublin) still has teletext on

RTE1
    NET2
    TV 3
    TG 4
    Setanta
    Channel 4
    3e

In Setanta and 3e's case their teletext services amount to little more than a large graphic of the channel logo and TV3's isn't much better. I'm surprised Teletext Limited's rather limited service is still going on UPC two years after they became the only UK terrestrial broadcaster ever to lose their licence mid term for refusing to provide the service they were contracted for.

Advertisement