Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid direct debit fee on closed account

Options
  • 23-10-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I'm hoping a rep here can help me.
    I closed my Bank of Ireland accounts in branch nearly 2 years ago. I still have some loan outstanding but that is paid on time every month. I occasionally log into 365 online to check the balance of my loan account. I noticed last week that there was an unpaid direct debit fee on one of my old (and I had assumed closed) current accounts which still appear on my 365 screen along with an old closed credit card.

After investigating I found out that it was an error by the esb, I had restarted paying by direct debit after a number of years, and though I had provided them with the new account details they had failed to update them. They have amended my records and confirmed that it was their mistake by email.

I tried to contact BOI through the 365 email thingy... I didn't have much success. They claimed to be unable to deal with the issue. I need to have the unpaid direct debit fee returned, and confirmation that my credit rating won't be affected. I assumed it would be straightforward as it was an unathorised direct debit which can be confirmed by the email received from the esb, and banks and utilities talk about the safety of the direct debit system due to the direct debit guarantee. They are saying I need to go into a branch but with work at the minute I won't have a chance to.

Can someone please look into this and also check to see if my account wasn't closed correctly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi gonzo.phd,

The issue that you outlined above would need to be investigated by your branch. They would also have the facility to refund the fee that you were charged. If you've previously requested that the account be closed, the request would be processed by the branch and they would have a copy of your instruction on file. As you can still view the account via 365Online, this would indicate that the account is still open.

You do have the option of ringing your branch instead of calling in. You can find your branch's contact number here. Apologies for any inconvenience that this has caused.

Thanks
    Pat

Advertisement