Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To iPad Mini or to not iPad Mini

• 23-10-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hopefully in an hour from now Apple will have unveiled the widely rumoured iPad Mini. If the rumours are true and the device does indeed exist:

1) If you don't already have an iPad would you buy the mini ?
    Or
    2) If like myself you are already an iPad owner, would you ditch your current device for the smaller form factor.

If the spec is decent, I might be inclined to go for the mini and ditch my iPad 2.

What's your take on the rumoured iPad Mini ? 54 votes

I don't have an iPad and I'd be interested in the mini.
    0% 0 votes
    I have an iPad and would switch to the smaller form factor.
    59% 32 votes
    Not interested.
    40% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they aren't even announced yet or even confirmed, how can we advise on whether to buy one or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

they aren't even announced yet or even confirmed, how can we advise on whether to buy one or not?

Not looking for advice. Just trying to gauge interest based on the speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Good thread.

Been thinking about it but it's ALL about price point. I can pick up a current gen iPad Wi-fi for 420 (albeit refurb...but as good as new..). Could even get VAT back as could use it for company and claim it... so that would mean latest iPad for 320euro......

Basically, new iPad mini would have to be seriously tempting as a result for me to budge and take the leap. And I am actually 99% going to buy an iPad but have been waiting till today's launch to decide!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Depends on how much you'd be carting it around.

I use my iPad when stuck to the couch or at the kitchen table mostly so a smaller one would be kinda pointless. I also think a lot of things like video or retina magazines need the larger size to be enjoyed fully.

I've a hunch People with mini iPads are really just going to end up holding them closer to their faces to compensate. At least it should be lighter!

EDIT
    hada wrote: »
    Been thinking about it but it's ALL about price point.
    This too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I'm looking forward to this as the iPad 3 is way too heavy and takes way too long to charge for no real additional benefit to me, the screen on my old ipad 1 was perfect, the additional pixels on a 10" screen haven't made any major difference to my eyes, not nearly enough to justify the battery charge time and additional weight.

I Bought the in laws a 7" Samsung Tab over the weekend, and whilst Android ICS is clunky and not as intuitive as IOS you can do much more with it from a personalisation point of view and for $199 USD it's hard to argue with the price.

So I'm hoping there is a significant weight & price reduction with the mini as I'm really enjoying the iPad as an ebook reader but I have to prop it up against something for prolonged reading sessions.

The Keynote is started. Cook talking about the App Store at the moment. Link to lev stream http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2012/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I may get one as a replacement for my iPod touch. The bigger screen would be a bonus for web browsing. The iPad is too big to carry around everywhere. I never leave home without my iPod touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I may get one as a replacement for my iPod touch. The bigger screen would be a bonus for web browsing. The iPad is too big to carry around everywhere. I never leave home without my iPod touch.

Why not get an iphone then?

I am defo getting one. As soon as I possible can get my mitts on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fairchild

what is the story with the Irish pricing for the basic model ????
    • US- 253€
    • Germany- 329€
    • Ireland- 339€

putting me off big time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

fairchild wrote: »
    what is the story with the Irish pricing for the basic model ????
    • US- 253€
    • Germany- 329€
    • Ireland- 339€

putting me off big time
    Irish VAT is 23 percent. German VAT is only 19 percent. The US price doesn't include tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As someone who finds the iPad a good size, the mini is of no use. Even if I'm upgrading it'll just be straight to another iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Why not get an iphone then?

I have an old Nokia phone with a battery that lasts days. The iPhone is a lot more expensive than an iPod touch for basically only giving you phone functionality in addition to what a touch already offers.

What I like about the mini is that the screen is bigger but still very portable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I don't have an iPad, and would have been tempted by the Mini, but unfortunately the price and the sub-par screen mean that I won't be buying this version. The Nexus and Fire have a better screen and needless to say in the new year a Retina 'Mini' will be available at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think they've got the perfect form factor but that the price is wrong. I went from an iPad to a Nexus 7 because of the size and weight of the Nexus. I was toying with the idea of moving sideways from the Nexus to an iPad mini - especially as I already have so much invested into apps on my iPhone and iPad, but at €100 more than a Nexus, it's not an option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't have an iPad, and would have been tempted by the Mini, but unfortunately the price and the sub-par screen mean that I won't be buying this version. The Nexus and Fire have a better screen and needless to say in the new year a Retina 'Mini' will be available at some stage.

The Nexus may work out as an alternative for users on a budget, the Fire :eek: just don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Very true ... Wait and see what Google do next week.
    (I could go for a Surface ... haha. :) Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face saying that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

The price put me off. I would have gone to €280 but €339 is way OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

Having sold my iPad 3 I'm going to use the money to buy myself a mini. If I didn't have the money set aside from the much-too-heavy iPad my choice might have been different... it is more expensive than I'd hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fairchild

have a look at the full keynote where schiller rips the screen of the nexus apart- quite impressive.
    i don't rate the fire as a tablet- much more a content provider at best

• Advertisement

I'm tempted, need to see the mini in the flesh. My iPad 2 will be going, only question is mini or 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Am I right in saying the iPad Mini is derived from the iPad 2 Mini (with the exception of camera and related) rather than the iPad 3 or 4, or is that unfair?

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare

Same processor, non Retina display, 1024x768 resolution etc.

Will there will be a higher spec version of the iPad Mini within 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

jakdublin wrote: »
    The price put me off. I would have gone to €280 but €339 is way OTT.

I suppose they had to charge more than the 32gb iPod. Maybe dropping the price of both the iPod and iPad mini was a bit to much to hope for!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

pfurey101 wrote: »
    I suppose they had to charge more than the 32gb iPod. Maybe dropping the price of both the iPod and iPad mini was a bit to much to hope for!

Cheers

and charge they do...

for like 4 fcukin hours. maybe if cable was a like a reasonable length I could use it whilst charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

and charge they do...

for like 4 fcukin hours. maybe if cable was a like a reasonable length I could use it whilst charging

You're digging up quite an old topic here... But anyway: any chance you're using an iPhone charger (or maybe not sure which charger belongs to your iPhone and iPad?). Cause even though they will both work fine; if you charge an iPad with an iPhone charger it will take quite a bit longer to charge...
    Oh and if that's not the problem just get a 3m cable for it, www.dx.com sell loads for around $2 (free shipping).

Advertisement