Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Kennels Sligo

Options
  • 23-10-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Had my heart set on getting my dog into Lough Bo's kennels, however they're all booked up next week - probably due to firework season.

Looking for another kennels to get my dog into, but would like to hear of anyone's personal experiences with other kennels around Sligo. She's an Akita and very particular about people she doesn't know so would like to build a relationship with the kennel owner if possible first. Prefer her to be settled in the kennels.

Only going for 5 days so it's not a long stay.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Try http://www.cherrytreeboardingkennels.com/.
    Our fellow goes there and loves it! She's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Cheers Red Sean.

How is she with the dogs? Just wary that she trained under <snip>. He doesn't have a great reputation training dogs, so just want to know what his trainees shape up like. Anyone who goes near a prong collar is a big no-no in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

From our experience she's excellent with the dogs and is a dogue de bordeaux breeder as well. You'd need to ring in advance though! This time of year and all!!
    Just our experience but good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭warriorpoet

Haven't tried this lady, but was out walking with my dog and she stopped her jeep to hand me a flyer.... like the idea of keeping the dog in the home rather than kennels..... Flyer says Diamond Dog Sitting, based in Ballisodare (Coney) - I see they've a facebook page if you wanna check it out. http://www.facebook.com/DiamondDogSittingService

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried it!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Went with Collooney Dog Kennels near Markree. He's an absolute gent, dogs that are there are very happy with his presence and if my girl is picky about being handled, he'll give her an exercise yard as he has another 2 to work with.

Very impressed with his set up there and he knew the breeds temperment before I mentioned it so that's put me at ease. Heading up next Tuesday to spend an hour with him and my girl to see how they get on together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Anyone who goes near a prong collar is a big no-no in my book.

Sorry for going slightly off topic here. But I never heard of a prong collar before and I just goggled it. Jesus Christ it's fecking barbaric :eek:.

Indeed it is, and trainers who use them justify it as a dogs skin is thicker than humans so it's not as severe :rolleyes:

Not saying that the aforementioned woman would use them but I know of her the place where she got her "qualification" and they're known for having used them.

So on that note preferred not to keep my dog there.

I'm sure she has a great way with dogs though, someone else actually mentioned them to me today but had already visited Collooney and was very happy to leave my dog there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Brian in Collooney is lovely. I really do think the world of Sandra in Tall Trees near Tubbercurry. Our guy comes back groomed, walked twice a day and smelling lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

red sean wrote: »
    From our experience she's excellent with the dogs and is a dogue de bordeaux breeder as well. You'd need to ring in advance though! This time of year and all!!
    Just our experience but good luck anyway.

would have to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

i know the OP already picked a kennel, just want to say for anyone reading the thread, the woman who runs cherry tree in grange is lovely and fosters loads of dogs from sligo animal rescue who come from all kinds of really bad situations, we adopted a dog she was fostering and she was really helpful and seems to put in lots of effort into what she does. we couldn't be happier with our new dog, she had a tough start to life but is the sweetest dog in the world and well trained thanks in large part to siobhan. she really loves dogs and i only saw normal leads being used.

• Advertisement

I have seen her doing great work with Sligo Animal Rescue, I'm not questioning that at all. And fair play to her for helping them out, god knows they need every bit of assistance they can get. They're so busy.

It was the association with a questionable trainer that made me hesitant and ask how she interacted with dogs.

As my girl is on the restricted breeds list, I'm very protective of her as I don't want her misunderstood. She means the world to me and more, which is why I wanted a kennels that I myself am 100% happy with.

Even at 100% satisfaction I'm still going to be wondering how she's getting on as she's never been in a kennels before.

I in no way wanted to put the woman and her kennels in disrepute, I just needed to be 100% happy with where I left my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DickBunce

sligoface wrote: »
    i know the OP already picked a kennel, just want to say for anyone reading the thread, the woman who runs cherry tree in grange is lovely and fosters loads of dogs from sligo animal rescue who come from all kinds of really bad situations, we adopted a dog she was fostering and she was really helpful and seems to put in lots of effort into what she does. we couldn't be happier with our new dog, she had a tough start to life but is the sweetest dog in the world and well trained thanks in large part to siobhan. she really loves dogs and i only saw normal leads being used.

I would agree absolutely. Siobhan has an excellent reputation and is so caring to animals. She has helped some poor dogs to a many a loving family and I applaud her for that.

Advertisement