Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He/she could do so much better.

• 23-10-2012 5:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I hear this said quite a bit. What does it mean?

What makes one person better than another person?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

How physically attractive they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

it means your punching above your weight op ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Reads like my old school reports :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Polite way of saying that the other person is a lazy, good for nothing, dutch gold guzzling, couch potato..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Classism or snobbery

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Nice topical bit of Saville at the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

one person is good looking the other isnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It implies that one partner is better looking/more educated/earns more money/ has better prospects/is more motivated/has a better personality or sense of humour than the other.

Usually, it's one of the first four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Gauss wrote: »

Some people are better looking than others, some people have better jobs than others, some people can do better but don't.
    It means some people settle for less than they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Their accent (so I am told)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

The reason I ask is I stumbled across a thread in the ladies lounge where someone said she is glad she left her ex as she realises now she could do better.

So if you realise you "can do better" do you dump your OH and get that "better" person.

So much for love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've got this! Meant I could find someone who treated me right, like any person deserves to be.

And I would say this to any good person who was being treated badly. Shouldn't put up with it out of fear of not finding anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

The reason I ask is I stumbled across a thread in the ladies lounge where someone said she is glad she left her ex as she realises now she could do better.

So if you realise you "can do better" do you dump your OH and get that "better" person.

So much for love.

People often say this when they get dumped, cheated on etc IMO. It's a way of saying fcuk him I can live without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

So much for love.

Maybe she met a guy called Better, and realized she could do him.

My flatmate yelled this at me repeatedly while I had a freakout over the fella I was seeing...

"You're too good for him!"
    "He's not good enough for you!"
    "You deserve better!"
    "You can do better!"

How exactly I was any way better than the guy, I'm not sure; we're two completely different people with totally different abilities and personalities. So what exactly did I deserve and what is this "better" I can do? I don't get it either.

budgese wrote: »
    My flatmate yelled this at me repeatedly while I had a freakout over the fella I was seeing...

"You deserve better!"
    "You can do better!"

How exactly I was any way better than the guy, I'm not sure; we're two completely different people with totally different abilities and personalities. So what exactly did I deserve and what is this "better" I can do? I don't get it either.

Yea it seems fairly arrogant to think you are "better" than other people. I think we're just different.

"You deserve better!"
    "You can do better!"

Yea it seems fairly arrogant to think you are "better" than other people. I think we're just different.

"You deserve better!"
    "You can do better!"

"You deserve better!"
    "You can do better!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I've got this! Meant I could find someone who treated me right, like any person deserves to be.

And I would say this to any good person who was being treated badly. Shouldn't put up with it out of fear of not finding anyone else.

Indeed. I used to say it about a friend of mine. Her husband is a respectable man in public but has beaten her on occasions :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

It's a polite way of saying they think the person is a big f****** a**h***

Would you mind repeating that, please?

Dodgy phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I hear that aimed towards me the whole time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Good idea to say it directly to someone: it's just going to bind them closer to the person criticised.

Well, let's face it...some people are stupid enough to stick to people who are bad for them, own fault so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

If the guy was an utter scumbug (robs old ladies, shoots puppies, that sort of thing) I don't think it's arrogant at all for someone to think they can 'do better'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Polite way of saying that the other person is a lazy, good for nothing, dutch gold guzzling, couch potato..... ;)

Hey hey hey, now wait a goddamn minute.......I don't drink Dutch Gold..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

"He got sacked from his Saturday job at McDonalds for thieving, he can't go two days without sniffing bath salts, he threw a bottle of piss at an old woman on a bus for a laugh, and he got wrecked and punched the face off you and couldn't remember it the next day. You're too good for him, and you can do better." - me to my best friend, a couple of years back. He still hung on for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Im not sure,probably in terms of looks,popularity etc....My ex girlfriends friend told me i was punching above my weight,funny thing was i actually agreed with her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Not everyone is equel and the sum of a given persons posative traits, habits and disposition can easily be far in excess of their current partners. Simples

smurgen wrote: »

Im not sure,probably in terms of looks,popularity etc....My ex girlfriends friend told me i was punching above my weight,funny thing was i actually agreed with her!

I think that's a really horrible thing to say to someone. Did you murder her children or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

You'll have to speak up, he's wearing a towel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think that's a really horrible thing to say to someone. Did you murder her children or something?

No, but it was probably what most people were thinking tho cause she was and is very good looking,popular etc and i wasnt at the time.i was in a bad place to be fair,not taking care of myself and struggling with low self esteem,broke college student from a poor family.since then i've changed my body completly by getting into fitness and landed a financial job in Switzerland so doing much better now, struggle with confidence tho but working on it.
    Funny thing is we only broke up about 6 months ago but are still best friends. Seems like she wasn't as shallow as her friend and actually could see i was a worthwhile person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 ThinlyVeiled

Is quite often said by people who don't believe it but are saying it out of pure jealousy.

1ZRed wrote: »
    You'll have to speak up, he's wearing a towel
    :confused:

Think I'm having another slow day :D:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

:confused:

Think I'm having another slow day :D:D.

Simpsons quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

It annoys the cr@p out of me.

I don't tend to fancy blokes who are typically goodlooking and I often have some busybodying f**k (girls AND guys) who barely know me saying to me "you must have low self-esteem, you could do much better than him" which makes no sense to me - why would I want to do 'better' (ie. be with someone who is regarded more attractive by the general public) than some guy I'm crazy about who I'm into in a big way? Particularly when the well-meanign twat telling me this usually doesn't know anything about me and I think "how the hell would you know what's better for me?"

Mind you, I totally agree when its related to somebody being mistreated. But in that case I don't think its "you could do much better than him", its "you should be better to yourself than putting up with that $hit"

Advertisement