Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visiting manchester and want to buy ammo

Options
  • 23-10-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I will be going to uk in november and i would like to buy ammo to bring back to ROI while im there mainly surplus ammo which i can not get here no matter how hard i try. my question is can i do this i was told i would not be able to bring back surplus ammo. Also is it difficult to get a permit to bring back ammo my local guards could not give me any info on this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I'm not sure but i would imagine if you had a european firearms pass and an import licence from the doj you might be able to. You would only be able to bring back the limit on your licence you would also need to fly with someone who will take it and have a container up to standard. I don't know if it is possible though i am sure someone else would be able to give you a better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Please note that you will be limited to a maximum of 1000 rounds of ammunition if travelling by ferry or aircraft - all of which must be in the original packaging.

1. You will have to identify the dealer with whom you wish to do business and ensure that he will accept your European Firearms Pass - your Irish permit is not valid here in UK.

2. You will need a DoJ importation licence for the amount and type of ammunition that you wish to purchase - the original document will have to be presented to the dealer - no photo-copies are permitted.

3. It would be a good idea to talk to John Kavanagh at Fingal Sports - he has experience of this type of transaction.

BTW, I don't know any surplus ammunition dealer in the Manchester area.

My tip is to do nothing without authorisation.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What is the ammunition you are looking for that you can not get here ? most stuff is available from dealers if you give them a chance to get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

rowa wrote: »
    What is the ammunition you are looking for that you can not get here ? most stuff is available from dealers if you give them a chance to get it in.
    Most dealers will get new factory ammo for you at a highly inflated price but presently i can find none who will import surplus ammo from the uk even fingal sports wont do it anymore something to do with not being able to get couriours who will bring it in.As for a 1000 rd limit thats kind of depressing i was hopeing to be able to bring in the amount on my licence at the very least[3000 rd] my only other hope to get it would be northern ireland and i cant find anyone up there who stocks surplus ammo tanyocky guns told me to contact fernvale country sports i rang them a few times but got no answer and sort of gave up anyone know anything about Fernvale sports

I havent contacted this company yet so i cant confirm anything they might be full of bs. but the website is simply firearms and ammo located in lancashire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I don't think you need the import licence as your not importing the ammo just bringing it with you like any other stuff.
    You will need a Euro pass for the firearm and the ammo limit of that firearm. Free from the local Garda station. Bring your licence with you. You dont need the firearm. The ammo must be in a suitable container. Like the metal army ammo boxes.

You will also need a visitor permit for your firearm with ammo limit issued in the UK to buy the ammo
    So in a word if you haven't got these you can't buy any ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

what calibre ammo you looking for? i use 7.62 british army surplus in the L42 for setting the scope ect.

thermo wrote: »
    what calibre ammo you looking for? i use 7.62 british army surplus in the L42 for setting the scope ect.
    7.62x54

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Just for Info

While the limit for most ferries is 1000 rounds, and 0 for the likes of the thin skin hulled like the Stena Dun Laoughre-Hollyhead, air transit is not the same.

Aer Lingus for example have a case/container weight for ammunition of 5 Kg's, to my knowledge you can bring several cases with you as long as they dont exceed the 5kg limit per container.

I have used the plastic lockable ammo cans on Aer Lingus, as they weight much less than that metal ones which are probably close to 5k themselves.

And its 40.00 EUR per container by the way :mad:

Regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

And I hope that it's 7.62x54R that you're looking for for your Mosin-Nagant?

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    And I hope that it's 7.62x54R that you're looking for for your Mosin-Nagant?

tac[/Q The guards in their wisdom didnt put an R on my licence even though it was on my application wounder how they distinguish between .303 brit and .303 savage. wait silly question they dont.

Advertisement