Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pearse Station entrance

Options
  • 23-10-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I had reason to walk by here today and I have to say it looks very cool. Quite cosmopolitan. It also looks ready to open, even with ticket validators switched on.

Does anyone know when its going to open or has it, like Hansfield, been put on the very long finger?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Not knocking the OP as I am sure it is nice - but I find it depressing that while other countries are building metros and high-speed lines, expanding railfreight, electrifaction, here in Ireland a new station entrance is all we have to get positive about.

Says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not knocking the OP as I am sure it is nice - but I find it depressing that while other countries are building metros and high-speed lines, expanding railfreight, electrifaction, here in Ireland a new station entrance is all we have to get positive about.

Says it all.

And the fact that they had to destroy the architecture of the older station in the process as what happened at Connelly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Run_to_da_hills

And the fact that they had to destroy the architecture of the older station in the process as what happened at Connelly

1. They did'nt, apart from the ramp being removed.
    2. Conolly was a windy cattle shed prior to the rebuild, what I see now is a nice 21st century style terminus rebuilt in sympathy to its heritage.
    3. The previous rebuild, done in the 1960's looked awfully dated towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Connolly still is a windy sub-shed for the vast vast majority of its customers who use the only partially covered platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

And the fact that they had to destroy the architecture of the older station in the process as what happened at Connelly. :)
    It would be fine by me if they knocked the whole station and rebuilt it. Pearse station is the ugliest most depressing tip I've ever seen, it looks like my uncles turf shed only even more fugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dermo88 wrote: »
    the ramp being removed.
    which was a mistake if you ask me, if their was any reason for a quick evacuation it would be disastrous, but its done now
    Conolly was a windy cattle shed prior to the rebuild
    and if you use platforms 5 6 and 7 it still is exactly that, a windy cattle shed, maybe a field might be a better description though.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭bikeman1

SeanW wrote: »
    It would be fine by me if they knocked the whole station and rebuilt it. Pearse station is the ugliest most depressing tip I've ever seen, it looks like my uncles turf shed only even more fugly.

I use Pearse regularly and I think it's a great station. By far the best city centre station. The whole station being covered, loads of seating and vending machines on the platform. Always Staff on both platfors if you have any queries. Plenty of ticket barriers. Give me Pearse over Tara Sh1t anyday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭Trampas

how long has it taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I use Pearse regularly and I think it's a great station. By far the best city centre station. The whole station being covered, loads of seating and vending machines on the platform. Always Staff on both platfors if you have any queries. Plenty of ticket barriers. Give me Pearse over Tara Sh1t anyday!!

I had to use it for the first time in about a year yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at the improvements. It's a lot brighter and more airy now and the ticket hall/entrance area is much improved. I see the yet to open escalators are ready to go for changing platforms and presumably also bringing you to the new Pearse Street entrance.

I expect some commuters coming from South Docklands/Pearse St/Ringsend direction could save up to 5 minutes of walking using the new entrance instead of walking all the way to Westland Row. It will be nice when/if the new retail units fronting the new exit get occupied also to give a bit of life to that part of Pearse Street. I wish the DARTs in Connolly still had that old seperate entrance at Amiens Street near the petrol station. You add several minutes walking through the main entrance and intercity platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Any pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Give me Pearse over Tara Sh1t anyday!!
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

ongarboy wrote: »
    I had to use it for the first time in about a year yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at the improvements. It's a lot brighter and more airy now and the ticket hall/entrance area is much improved. I see the yet to open escalators are ready to go for changing platforms and presumably also bringing you to the new Pearse Street entrance.

I expect some commuters coming from South Docklands/Pearse St/Ringsend direction could save up to 5 minutes of walking using the new entrance instead of walking all the way to Westland Row. It will be nice when/if the new retail units fronting the new exit get occupied also to give a bit of life to that part of Pearse Street. I wish the DARTs in Connolly still had that old seperate entrance at Amiens Street near the petrol station. You add several minutes walking through the main entrance and intercity platforms.

My sister used to work in the shop in the Amiens Street DART station,used to have great fun playing there or in the Steddy Eddys coffee shop beside it,when it was her day to mind me during the summer.

Why was it closed down?always seemed quite busy to me as a 10 year old back in the mid 90's!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My sister used to work in the shop in the Amiens Street DART station,used to have great fun playing there or in the Steddy Eddys coffee shop beside it,when it was her day to mind me during the summer.

Why was it closed down?always seemed quite busy to me as a 10 year old back in the mid 90's!

I get the impression the main reason was rationalisation of the numbers of entrances and staff numbers. It would have been difficult to upgrade for accessibility reasons. I'd also have concerns about the steepness of the stairs in a crowd situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ic

Does anyone know if there is any chance that the new entrance to the Pearse St station on Pearse St will be open this year?

I use the station every morning and there does not appear to be any work being done on the new entrance at the moment.

There's a thread about it already http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056788649

(PS - it's "Pearse Station" - not "Pearse Street Station". The fact that Pearse Street is nearby is just co-incidental as the station's address is Westland Row. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

There's a thread about it already http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056788649

(PS - it's "Pearse Station" - not "Pearse Street Station". The fact that Pearse Street is nearby is just co-incidental as the station's address is Westland Row. ;))

I've heard worse, on more than one occasion I've heard people say "Connolly Street Station"! :confused:

Doesn't seem to stop IE calling a station Tara Street station when it's not on Tara Street

They even had a Phoenix park station, not in the phoenix park, nor even on the line that goes through the phoenix park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Haha in Fairness the Phoenix Park station should have been called the Phoenix Park Racecourse station.

I remember directing some quite confused German tourists from that station to the park :-x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

To say nothing of some Luas stops...

Cliste wrote: »
    Haha in Fairness the Phoenix Park station should have been called the Phoenix Park Racecourse station.

I remember directing some quite confused German tourists from that station to the park :-x

Because there's loads of racing there alright....

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to stop IE calling a station Tara Street station when it's not on Tara Street

They even had a Phoenix park station, not in the phoenix park, nor even on the line that goes through the phoenix park
    Niles wrote: »
    To say nothing of some Luas stops...

The general policy is to name stations according to the area, major street or major landmarks near them. Tara Street would be a better known and bigger street than Luke Street or Poolbeg Street.

In 1966 to recognise the 50th anniversary of the 1916 rising some Irish city and provincial train stations were renamed after the leaders of the rising. Hence Amiens Street Station became Connolly Station and Westland Row Station became Pearse Station.

Pearse Street itself was renamed much earlier (as Padraig Pearse was born there) along with the general trend to move away from British street names following independence. (I think it was previously known Brunswick Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pearse Street itself was renamed much earlier (as Padraig Pearse was born there) along with the general trend to move away from British street names following independence. (I think it was previously known Brunswick Street).
    The trend actually pre-dated independence. :)

The general policy is to name stations according to the area, major street or major landmarks near them. Tara Street would be a better known and bigger street than Luke Street or Poolbeg Street.
    It still doesn't explain why Pearse station isn't named after a street, it's close to but Tara street station is.
    If it was just Tara station, there'd be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Pearse Station was until 1966 named Westland Row, which is the street at the front door. Only Dublin mainline/terminus stations were renamed in 1966, the regional and non terminus stations only had a suffix added

Tara Street was known as George's Quay following its opening, so again there is a little bit of nationalism at play in the naming. If they ever rebuild Tara Street it will actually have an entrance on Tara Street

It still doesn't explain why Pearse station isn't named after a street
    Read the rest of my post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Run_to_da_hills

And the fact that they had to destroy the architecture of the older station in the process as what happened at Connelly

1. They did'nt, apart from the ramp being removed.
    2. Conolly was a windy cattle shed prior to the rebuild, what I see now is a nice 21st century style terminus rebuilt in sympathy to its heritage.
    3. The previous rebuild, done in the 1960's looked awfully dated towards the end.

The rebuild of Connolly has to be seen in the context of the masterplan that CIE were hoping to develop. That was/ie to create a mixed use creative space on the disused lands and carpark at Connolly. The plan was to transform Connolly and its hinterland, and I would have seen the works carried out to date as a mere first phase.

http://www.reddyarchitecture.com/urbanism-connolly.html

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

The rebuild of Connolly has to be seen in the context of the masterplan that CIE were hoping to develop. That was/ie to create a mixed use creative space on the disused lands and carpark at Connolly.

And the bulk of the train stabling area. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Anyone have any idea on when this will open? Here now and it looks ready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Yes it opened yesterday, and surprise surprise it's only open part time. Why this and the Tara Street entrance can not be opened full time is a joke.....
    http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4796&p=116&n=237

Advertisement