Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complex Numbers Problem

• 23-10-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me with this problem? Its been driving me mad!!

"The complex number z satisfies the equation |z| = |z+2|
    Show that the real part of z is -1."

I'd much appreciate any help, even a nudge in the right direction! There are other parts to the question, but I imagine that they will be fine once I get this part.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Can anyone help me with this problem? Its been driving me mad!!

"The complex number z satisfies the equation |z| = |z+2|
    Show that the real part of z is -1."

I'd much appreciate any help, even a nudge in the right direction! There are other parts to the question, but I imagine that they will be fine once I get this part.

*disclaimer: Haven't done complex numbers yet so maybe im wrong*

Because its a modulus, you square both sides:
    z^2 = z^2 + 4z + 4
    so
    4z + 4 = 0
    4(z+1) = 0
    therfore z is -1 because 4(-1+1)=0 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

/facepalm

If that is right, which I guess it is, I will put my head through the wall. I have just spent the last half an hour trying ridiculously complicated calculations, and you just did it in 4 lines!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Let z equal (a + bi) on both sides. Then square both sides. Remember that i^2 = -1.
    Then ignore any term with i. Just let the real parts on either side equal to one another (as you're only concerned with the real parts here).

You can't really do it the way Indiego posted because that's treating z as if it's a real number, and not taking the imaginary part into account. (In this case the imaginary part of z is 0 but you can't assume that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

/facepalm

If that is right, which I guess it is, I will put my head through the wall. I have just spent the last half an hour trying ridiculously complicated calculations, and you just did it in 4 lines!!! :pac:

5th year naivity :cool:
    I'm like 99.9999999% sure its right tbh, was just doubtful because I know nothing about complex numbers XD

It's still not too complicated btw, I did it in 5 lines.

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »
    Let z equal (a + bi) on both sides. Then square both sides. Remember that i^2 = -1.
    Then ignore any term with i. Just let the real parts on either side equal to one another (as you're only concerned with the real parts here).

You can't really do it the way Indiego posted because that's treating z as if it's a real number, and not taking the imaginary part into account. (In this case the imaginary part of z is 0 but you can't assume that).

Yeah that was the problem I had with Indiegos answer, he/she just ignored the imaginary part which is what someone with no experience of complex numbers would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

another way of doing it would be to let z=a+bi
    |a+bi|=|a+bi+2|
    (a^2+b^2)^(1/2)= ((a+2)^2+b^2))^(1/2)
    work this out and let real=real that is a and 4giving a=-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Another way is to think of it visually on the Argand diagram. The modulus of z is its distance from the origin (0+0i), and the modulus of z-w is the distance between z and w.

So, in this case, you've been told that z is the same distance from 0 as it is from -2. So it must be on the vertical line through -1. Voila!

aarond280 wrote: »
    another way of doing it would be to let z=a+bi
    |a+bi|=|a+bi+2|
    (a^2+b^2)^(1/2)= ((a+2)^2+b^2))^(1/2)
    work this out and let real=real that is a and 4giving a=-1

So what I said then? :P

Another way is to think of it visually on the Argand diagram. The modulus of z is its distance from the origin (0+0i), and the modulus of z-w is the distance between z and w.

So, in this case, you've been told that z is the same distance from 0 as it is from -2. So it must be on the vertical line through -1. Voila!

MINDBLOWN.jpeg

• Advertisement
Advertisement