Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Safety

Options
  • 23-10-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering where in town is good to lock up a bike in town for a bit? Not long term eg just under an hour if even, is bike theft big in the city center?

Im amazed that there is no secure bike park for cyclists in the city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What exactly are you looking for? There are a few bike racks knocking around, and poles all over the place. Are you looking for something which is monitored?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I like the bike rack by Jurys Hotel. It's the one on the traffic island.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bike rack at Dew Drop.
    As long as you don't leave it overnight it should be fine.

The trick is to park it next to a nicer bike with a weaker lock ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danzdan

That's haliorious! I have a mate whose had 2 bikes nicked from across the road at Monroes. Power cutters used. Takes less than 10 seconds. Bike theft I think has increased so much lately. Especially coming up to Xmas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Over the years i've had a bike stolen from Woodquay,had another one damaged in Eyre Square and another bike at the racks outside Credit Union on Mainguard St had signs that someone was trying to cut through the lock.Nowhere is really safe sadly.I now have a crappy looking bike which looks a much less appealing target when parked next to a cool looking bike that has front and back Shocks etc.I had to park mine in the hospital recently and they have a nice sheltered bike parking area but i do realise it might be a bit out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 danzdan

I think car parks in shopping centres eg eyre square. Should have free parking facilities for bikes. I'm sure they have ample space and the camers and security is already in place. If anything the county council should be encouraging the use of bikes in the the city centre. I know in other countries there are bicycle and motorcycle parking spaces in most semi private parking facilities. It's encouraged because of high rates of theft. Bikes and motorcycles are easily stolen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

topcat77 wrote: »
    I like the bike rack by Jurys Hotel. It's the one on the traffic island.

I understand that there is a group of fellas who keep that one under observation - "window shopping" as it were. As understand it, via a local businessman who can see whats going on, the guards have been told but theresnot a whole lot that can be done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

danzdan wrote: »
    I think car parks in shopping centres eg eyre square. Should have free parking facilities for bikes. I'm sure they have ample space and the camers and security is already in place. If anything the county council should be encouraging the use of bikes in the the city centre. I know in other countries there are bicycle and motorcycle parking spaces in most semi private parking facilities. It's encouraged because of high rates of theft. Bikes and motorcycles are easily stolen.

There is talk of putting something like that into the Hynes Yard car park. In other cities over on the Northern European mainland there would be some form of supervised bike parking or hirable bike lockers at the train station. Last time I checked there was nothing for cyclists at Ceannt station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I understand that there is a group of fellas who keep that one under observation - "window shopping" as it were. As understand it, via a local businessman who can see whats going on, the guards have been told but theresnot a whole lot that can be done.

Funny, I've posted before about the one by the Dew Drop, more nicking parts and vandalism, but theft also. I've found Jury's a bit better. People have mentioned it before buIf you know someone who lives in an apartment with a code and parking area or courtyard, that may be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

danzdan wrote: »
    If anything the county city council should be encouraging the use of bikes in the the city centre.

fixed that for ya.

And I'd totally agree: lockable, rentable "bike boxes" are the way to go .. with mini-web cams inside so that whoever's running them can keep an eye on what's inside: I could see them being convenient drop-off points for all sorts of things :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Good spot down by the dole office as they have cameras covering the area there.

Advertisement