Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guy arrested outside a youth club with an imitation shotgun

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

- at a "safety" briefing, one of the marshalls took all the noobs (I went along too as I hadn't played there before) out and lined them up one by one, told them to turn round and shot them on full auto from their necks down to their calves to let them know what getting hit by a bb "feels like". When he turned to me, I said I've played before and I know what it feels like. His reponse? He shot me from my thigh up to my mid chest "to remind me". When you consider that no one, me included, was wearing eye or face protection at this "safety briefing", you can imagine the risks that eejit took to show what a big man he was. Hell I was facing the moron when he shot me and a ricochet could have hit me in the eye or teeth[/QUOTE]

How or why isnt said marshal still in hospital trying to get the AEG he used removed from his back side ???
    About 3 weeks ago a couple of kids (around 14 to 16 years old) ran into my local shopping center with the cheap .5 joule bb guns (that are for sale everywhere now with no regulation) shooting at the security and staff grabbing what they could and running out again
    Is there nothing that can be done to stop the sale of these bb guns as they are giving the sport even more bad press and it has nothing to do with airsoft or airsoft retailers these things can be bought at markets car boot sales 60% of homeware shops around Dublin city even more so at this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Steve wrote: »
    What has that got to do with this thread?

I assume as the topic has slightly veered into irresponsible retailing at a public event, G there, who was on the IAA committee that year, is recounting some of the episodes had with relatively unaffiliated individuals who were selling Airsoft gear.

At which time, was a major talking point for both the committee and retailers, as it appeared any Tom Dick and Harry were selling airsoft gear out of the back of vans or in the back end of their little shops all over the place, and which sparked the discussion on licensed retailing etc. etc. etc.

It also gently highlights that how in years past, airsoft equipment was much more EASILY accessible and sold throughout Dublin. Whilst there is still (afaik) **** all regulations officially in place, through economic downturn, improved reputations and advertising and quality of service from existing airsoft retailers, it would appear the days of pciknig up an AK from Johnno from his transit, or Poo Ming in the back of his internet cafe, are gone.

Thats most like the reason, but I'm sure Gerrowadat will come along and explain the same in a more concise, funnier and abusive way ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Steve wrote: »
    What has that got to do with this thread?

I was directly responding to TheDoc and ricka, who were trying to remember what happened with retailers at salute a few years ago. You forgot your bold text and your PM telling me to pipe down by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I guess this thread has already veered so far into the woods that I can't really argue with that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jonathan13

Hi guys!

any update/news regarding the guy who got arrested? did he pay any fine for the trouble he caused?

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

jonathan13 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

any update/news regarding the guy who got arrested? did he pay any fine for the trouble he caused?

thanks!

The IAA PRO was in contact with the Garda press office, nothing more from them on the incident apart from what was initially reported.

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

jonathan13 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

thanks!

I think it's a more severe punishment than a fine if he is done for the 'auld brandishing, never mind the assault legislation they could hit him with. There are probably a few public order things that the guards could use too, it is a good thing overall that they have the legal tools to exercise their discretion with an event like this. The DOJ & IAA did a good job there shaping the legislation regarding RIF's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

I think it's a more severe punishment than a fine if he is done for the 'auld brandishing, never mind the assault legislation they could hit him with. There are probably a few public order things that the guards could use too, it is a good thing overall that they have the legal tools to exercise their discretion with an event like this. The DOJ & IAA did a good job there shaping the legislation regarding RIF's.

The law dose not require intent for the conviction, one of the things the IAA did at the time was to put forward a draft of this section that makes it very easy for convicting people that misuse the equipment. That draft is now S.40.9(A) of the CJA 2009.

A number of people have been successfully convicted under this law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jonathan13

fayer & stercus accidit,

Thank you both from your concise reply regarding my queries, its just that i knew someone foreign who got arrested, fined and attended several court hearings. The verdict was just a staggering amount of almost €5,000 combined altogether for the fine and solicitor. And banned for airsoft and any kind of trajectory sports replicating a gun in his entirety of stay here. That was 5years ago in 2007.

Luckily we have rules now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭cathalomurchu

My KWA M4 was confiscated a few years ago. It was in the boot of the car, in a gun case locked with a padlock. Gards told me to open it, so I complied and they see the airsoft gun an literally recoil in shock and horror. They immediately assumed it was a firearm, which I guess is expected. They then proceeded to question me about the airsoft gun. I had to tell them the law and tell them that it is 100% legal (I actually had the chrono sheet from MIA) they didn't understand. SO they confiscated the gun and told me I would never see it again. I asked for a receipt and they said I do not get one and they then realised that I was t be given one.

Fast forward six months. Finally got my 400 euro gun back. 1. It was literally in two pieces. The barrel was snapped and was about to fall off. The MOE handguards were cracked and there was a hairline crack in the buffer tube.
    2.I installed the battery and at this point I knew it probably wasn't going to work. Guess what? It didn't. Brought it to the shop and tech opened it up while I was there. All the gears were swiss cheesed and piston head was smashed. Motor was destroyed so my gun was basically ****ed.

My father appealed (As I am under 18) 2 months later no response and appealed again and there was no response. Got it fixed anyway and it was NOT cheap.

My KWA M4 was confiscated a few years ago. It was in the boot of the car, in a gun case locked with a padlock. Gards told me to open it, so I complied and they see the airsoft gun an literally recoil in shock and horror. They immediately assumed it was a firearm, which I guess is expected. They then proceeded to question me about the airsoft gun. I had to tell them the law and tell them that it is 100% legal (I actually had the chrono sheet from MIA) they didn't understand. SO they confiscated the gun and told me I would never see it again. I asked for a receipt and they said I do not get one and they then realised that I was t be given one.

Fast forward six months. Finally got my 400 euro gun back. 1. It was literally in two pieces. The barrel was snapped and was about to fall off. The MOE handguards were cracked and there was a hairline crack in the buffer tube.
    2.I installed the battery and at this point I knew it probably wasn't going to work. Guess what? It didn't. Brought it to the shop and tech opened it up while I was there. All the gears were swiss cheesed and piston head was smashed. Motor was destroyed so my gun was basically ****ed.

My father appealed (As I am under 18) 2 months later no response and appealed again and there was no response. Got it fixed anyway and it was NOT cheap.

I'd be forwarding the bill to the police. Outlining essentially what happened, and the rifle was no returned in the same condition it was confiscated.

I'd be forwarding this is lettered format, and literally sending it once a week.

I went through the infamous "Your tactical vest has been sent for ballistic testing" and through hounding phonecalls and letters eventually got it back. While of course they are dealing with stuff more important, it is no excuse for negligence.

Sounds like they put through BB's or some form of projectile the rifle was not designed for.

I'd request a written report from the technician who fixed it, asking for him to outline the damage the rifle had, and his thoughts on what could cause such damage.

That's shocking to be fair, but I'm not the one bit surprised in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭cathalomurchu

Sure I was calling them nearly every day. They said they had no record of my gun going to ballistics testing and I had no evidence. My evidence was a number of pictures, a receipt from the Gardai and the receipt from the shop that repaired the gun. I also have pictures of the internals and what they should look like. The tech said he had never seen anything like it.

When you say "Your tactical vest has been sent for ballistics testing" Did they actually confiscate your tac vest? WTF? Yeah the cordura and cardboard inside is 100% bullet proof. Did they shoot it? lol. I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I would personally recommend phoning the station with irritating regularity asking for information regarding when it was sent for testing, and (if they admit it) if it wasn't sent off then why was it confiscated in the first instance? Get as much information as you can, such as the names of those involved, and lodge formal complaints (and inform the station you are doing so).

Unfortunately your situation is not exactly uncommon, but the outcome is decided in the first encounter...it's all about how you handle yourself. There are a million and one ways of sorting out the situation, but the main thing you have to convey to them, at least in my opinion, is that:
    1.) You are a legitimate user/gamer/collector
    2.) Your gun fires within the legal threshold
    3.) You will cooperate 100%, but will be a pain in the ass if anything goes awry

Point 3 is the difficult one...you're not to act like an arse, but rather to just show them that proper procedure must be adhered to or you will kick up a fuss. Get a receipt, enquire as to which station it is being sent to before going to testing, get the names and numbers of the gardai confiscating the item, the name and number of the super in charge of the station, and do not let up. Phone the station immediately and inform them that your airsoft replica has been confiscated for testing and ask has it been turned in yet for testing, and get time-frame etc and keep following it up. The trick is being cool, calm and collected at all times whilst simultaneously exuding vibes of "if we take the piss with this, he's going to cause us unnecessary stress - let's just sort it properly" since, afterall, that's all you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Make a complaint with the Garda Ombudsman, believe it or not they do actually take complaints seriously and will look into it and if they believe there is a genuine case to answer then they'll open an investigation.

Not long ago I had a run in with two Garda who pulled me over and without my knowledge or consent opened my boot, took my aeg out of my gun bag, told me I was breaking the law by carrying it in my boot and not having a license for it. I took my IAA membership card out of my wallet, showed it to the officers and told them both I was well versed in the laws of Airsoft, I was a law abiding citizen and had done nothing wrong. Annoyed, one threatened to confiscate it to which he said I'd be lucky if I saw it again in a years time. Along with this and another threat that was made against me I phoned the ombudsman, the case is now being investigated by an Inspector and Superintendent to make a case against the Gards in question.

By reading your post I would think you have more than enough evidence to make an official complaint and be reimbursed for the damage done. Do not let it lie. That's the best advice I can give

Sure I was calling them nearly every day. They said they had no record of my gun going to ballistics testing and I had no evidence. My evidence was a number of pictures, a receipt from the Gardai and the receipt from the shop that repaired the gun. I also have pictures of the internals and what they should look like. The tech said he had never seen anything like it.

When you say "Your tactical vest has been sent for ballistics testing" Did they actually confiscate your tac vest? WTF? Yeah the cordura and cardboard inside is 100% bullet proof. Did they shoot it? lol. I wouldn't be surprised.

Yes they took my vest away for testing.

As mentioned above. Ombudsman is actually a good avenue. It is where my complaint was dealt with and actioned.

I received and apology and the vest was delivered to my door next day.

Get onto the Ombudsman website, gather the info for a complaint, get some assistance from a parent (you mentioned your a young fella?) in how to write a letter formally, provide copies of your documentation and photos and they will action it .

• Advertisement
Advertisement