Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 dog -v- 2 dogs

• 23-10-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I'm the proud owner of a 20wk old Germand Shepard X Collie named Bradley, he's a complete sweetheart and training is going really well. I'm gone from the house from 12-6 four days per week, and originally he was to spend this time in my mothers house as company for her boxer, however, a few weeks ago her dog became very ill, she has cancer and cannot cope with a young pup hassling her. :(

Now Bradley seems happy enough, even when I'm gone. He gets a 2 hour off lead walk every morning, and an hour or so in the evening on lead, he sleeps in the house and is always by my side. He has a huge garden when I'm out with access to the garage which I converted into his room for when I'm in work. I know it's not ideal, and would prefer he wasn't alone so much. My neighbour/friend also comes to walk him and play with him when her work shift allow. I've asked my immediate neighbours to key an eye/ear out for him in case he is suffering from separation anxiety, but so far he's not whining or barking when I'm gone, just when I get home when he hears me come in and then I let him in and he's all over me! :D
    I plan to actually let him sleep in my room when he grows up a bit and is fully/reliably house trained.

Do you think he would benefit from the company of a second dog at his age or should I wait until he is older?

What are the pros and cons of having two dogs instead of one?

If I was to get a second dog I would probably go for a smaller breed, can anyone forsee a problem with mixing a large breed and small?

Should I get a dog the same age, older or younger? I'd rather not get a much older dog due a very recent experience with a rescue dog who bit my son. When my son is grown then certainly, but that will be my risk to take, just can't do it while he's still so young (5)

While I've been around dogs all my life, I've never owned 2 at the same time. I can only remember the packs of farm dogs my grandparents had when I was very young. Our family dogs have always been single dogs.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My first comment would be that there's no need to sweat so much about the amount ot time your pup is left alone! Six hours is at the outer edge of the ideal, but still within the ideal, and it's 4 days a week... there are a lot of pups far worse off out there! It sounds to me like you're doing plenty to keep him amused, though the amount of exercise is pretty high.. are these long walks off the bumbling, stop n sniff variety, or is there more energy to them. If the former, fine, if the latter, you may want to decrease the exercise until his joints have formed better.
    As for getting another, a hard one to call. On the face of it, I'd be inclined to wait until Bradley has grown, has had a bit of training to the point of being fairly reliable, and you've got a really good bond going that only time can bring. Bringing up a pup, with a 5 year old child, and then throwing a new dog into the mix, all sounds a bit mental, although maybe you're the type of person who takes these things in your stride?!
    Generally, in a two-dog household, you're better getting a second dog of the opposite sex, and of about the same age group, or younger, than the resident. You also need to try to match their play styles: if Bradley is a wrestler, then he needs another wrestler... a non-wrestler doesn't like living with a determined wrestler!
    Size-wise, I wouldn't go too small: big dogs can inadvertently hurt smallies. Also, smallies can be cranky around kids, so you'd have to be careful in that regard. Perhaps a small Springer? Or small spaniel x of some sort? Or Beagle or Beagle x? Staffy? Or any little muttsky who fits the bill size-wise, child-friendly-wise, and Bradley-friendly-wise?
    Having two dogs is great! Well, once you're past the whole introductions bit in the first few weeks. You have to double-up on everything, but once the dogs have bonded, I think it's easier to have two dogs than one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I would wait - 20 weeks is very young, you still have the adolescent phase in front of you. Unless my dog is an exception, I found from about 8 months onwards to be difficult, with a lot of training and retraining to do. My advice from the rescue I got him from was not to get another until mine was at least 18 months - this is apparently the peak time for people to give up their dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Agree with DBB. I have shared custody of my dog (she stays with me thursday night until monday night) as my partner and I work and study, so she is better with parents on these days. But they go away quite a bit so I'd often have a couple of weeks where she's with us full time and I understand how hard it is when you are trying to juggle work and social life, and trying to be there for your dog. Many afternoons I've rushed home at lunchtime like a mad woman just to bring the dog out to do her business and have a quick play with the ball :rolleyes: Sounds like you are super devoted (2 hour off lead walk in the morning?!) - my dog would kill for that! :) I dont think you've anything to worry about, but I would hold off on getting another dog just yet.

Advertisement