Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginner at violin

Options
  • 23-10-2012 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

anyone know what kind of violin to buy for a beginner? i was told paying 100euro for one will sound bad so my budget will be about 300euro - i dont want to spend more than that now. Im going to Waltons so I suppose they will advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Around 200 will get you a reasonable beginners violin depending if it's for an adult or child? i.e. full or half size? You don't want to spend too much on a childs violin as they might not like playing it & give it up fairly quickly! Also a child will upgrade through the sizes as they grow so you'll e replacing it more frequently in the early years. An adult if they stick with it will eventually want to upgrade to a better one when playing better!

Talk to the teacher & they'll guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    anyone know what kind of violin to buy for a beginner? i was told paying 100euro for one will sound bad so my budget will be about 300euro - i dont want to spend more than that now. Im going to Waltons so I suppose they will advise?
    The only thing worth taking out of Walton's is directions to a music shop. Be warned...

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I generally suggest "stentor" violins for beginners. They don't break the bank at €130 (ish) for the kit and they have a much better sound then some of the other cheapo violin kits. Unless it's an adult who is quite serious about learning I would never recommend spending more than €150 to start off, there's just no need. All shops will take trade ins anyway, so if they want to upgrade after a year or 2 it's generally no problem once they have looked after the fiddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

endacl wrote: »
    The only thing worth taking out of Walton's is directions to a music shop. Be warned...

Ha, completely agree, some of the rudest staff I've ever spoken to!

It depends on the age, but generally a child won't sound great on the violin for years. Because of tuning difficulties it's just an instrument that doesn't sound in any way good unless it's played well, which can be quite demoralizing for a student. You'd be better off getting a cheap instrument and investing the rest in piano lessons and ear training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

saw these posts after i went to waltons - i have to say i found them very nice or maybe it was just the man i was dealing with! plus they gave me a free case, bow and rosin. the cases they usually gave with the violin i bought were gone so he gave me a better case - my tutor said the free case was real nice and nicer than hers lol. so id go back to waltons again. with regard to my lesson - it went well - learning all the basics so far :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement