Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior cert Maths question

• 23-10-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone point me in the direction of a proof that for two perpendicular lines with slopes m1 an m2 that m1m2=-1 that is suitable for a junior cert student.

I can prove it using a few different methods but I want one that's suitable for that particular level and I'm not sure which one might be suitable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

I could be wrong but I don't think Junior certs need to be able to prove it!

Also I think a proof would be too difficult for any Junior Cert to appreciate.

I think drawing two perpendicular lines on graph paper, measuring their slopes and multiplying the answers to give -1 should be enough justification.

Attached is a simple proof, however only an Honours Leaving Cert student would really appreciate it.

k9Ore.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

That's a nice straightforward proof, Ray, and I think that a lot of JCHL students would be able to follow/appreciate it, especially if it was preceded by some suitable preliminary work with Geogebra or similar.

It's certainly no harder than some of the geometry proofs that they are supposed to be able to do.

Suppose you had previously done some visual work so that they already appreciated that, when the "run" is 1, then the "rise" is the slope. Then they should be able to see the significance of the a and b straight away.

Also, the ratio relationship can be seen as coming from tan(theta) either, if they have difficulty with the similar triangles.

Perhaps another way of approaching a proof might be to consider a "slope diagram" showing a slope of a/b, and then show a second version rotated 90 degrees clockwise, giving a slope of -b/a. It's clear from there that the product is -1.

Perp_slopes.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

That's great. Thanks both of you.

consider a "slope diagram" showing a slope of a/b, and then show a second version rotated 90 degrees clockwise, giving a slope of -b/a. It's clear from there that the product is -1.

Yes! I think this is great for Junior Cert :)

XtzNK.gif

Just explain that one triangle is rotated 90 degrees from the other one :)

That's straight from the Book! ;)

What about tan(90) is undefined and since tan(theta)=m1+m2/1+m1m2 then 1+m1m2=0?

Though I do like the ones involving the two triangles.

• Advertisement

Yes gra, that proof is fine - but that formula is not done for Junior Cert!

Ok. Triangles it is. Thanks!

Advertisement