Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a career change

Options
  • 23-10-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm new to boards but just wanted to share a problem i'm having at the moment as i'm sure this is one that crops up regularly.
    I'm 31 (male) and feel like i'm rotting away in my current job. I have a decent degree but don't feel like i've used it.
    I work in an admin role in insurance and in my current job 5 years now. I can't go too much further in my current department but i'm just so bored in my job and financially i'm just scraping by month to month without being able to save much or anything at all for holidays, deposit for a house etc.

My bigger problem is I really don't know what I want to do with my career. I'd love to go back 12-13 years and put more thought into what i want to do. I think i just went with the flow for years and heres where i've ended up.
    My main passion in my life would be sport (particularly gaa) and sports psychology is something I've been thinking alot about lately.
    But going back to college fulltime for a couple of years just isn't a realistic runner at this stage of my life.

Just wondering whether anyone out there has any advice on getting career guidance etc?
    Have any of you been at a stage where you just dont have a clue what you want to do with your career and how did you navigate out of it?

Sorry for being so long winded btw!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

minty81 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm new to boards but just wanted to share a problem i'm having at the moment as i'm sure this is one that crops up regularly.
    I'm 31 (male) and feel like i'm rotting away in my current job. I have a decent degree but don't feel like i've used it.
    I work in an admin role in insurance and in my current job 5 years now. I can't go too much further in my current department but i'm just so bored in my job and financially i'm just scraping by month to month without being able to save much or anything at all for holidays, deposit for a house etc.

My bigger problem is I really don't know what I want to do with my career. I'd love to go back 12-13 years and put more thought into what i want to do. I think i just went with the flow for years and heres where i've ended up.
    My main passion in my life would be sport (particularly gaa) and sports psychology is something I've been thinking alot about lately.
    But going back to college fulltime for a couple of years just isn't a realistic runner at this stage of my life.

Just wondering whether anyone out there has any advice on getting career guidance etc?
    Have any of you been at a stage where you just dont have a clue what you want to do with your career and how did you navigate out of it?

Sorry for being so long winded btw!

Okay firstly you cant go back in time so dont let the past concern you, you can only deal with the here and now

Realistically you can go back to college if you really want to, your only 31 and in the scheme of life hopefully you should see your 60's so there is more working life left than what you have actually worked in life to this point. Do you really want to spend the next 30 plus years doing something you dont like or are you willing to take the risk go back to college for 2/4year out the grand scheme and spend the rest of you life doing something you like.

I know what I would choose, if you dont have a mortgage hanging over you then why not, yes funding will be hard but its October now, college doesnt start until next September, plenty of time to change where your living to a lesser rental so more money to save. We put obstacles in our way all the time as to why we cant do something but we shouldn't if you really really want it then go get it otherwise you will have a lot of regrets on your death bed and life should be full of regrets

Advertisement