Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a new card

• 23-10-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Need a new card, currently have a x1950
    running on a Abit AW9D-MAX motherboard with 2 gigs of ram , Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6600.

a few years old now but still going fine. however it wont run minecraft under win 7 .

any suggestions , cheap is good ,
    I dont play any games (minecraft is for the kids)
    a bit of photoshop, autocad , streaming 1080p films from my server, is the requirement.

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

John mac wrote: »
    Hi all,
    running on a Abit AW9D-MAX motherboard with 2 gigs of ram , Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6600.

a few years old now but still going fine. however it wont run minecraft under win 7 .

a bit of photoshop, autocad , streaming 1080p films from my server, is the requirement.

thanks

It definately should be able to run minecraft. You could try the last released drivers (10.2) with x1950 support if you haven't already, before splashing out on a new video card.

Not sure if you have 32 or 64 bit version of windows.

Windows 7 32 bit

Window 7 64bit

If no joy with that then even something as cheap as a HD6450 will run minecraft just fine

EDIT: I am assuming a reasonably basic 2D autocad usage here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The x1950 is a lot faster than a HD 6450 and more than good enough to play Minecraft. However, it only supports DirectX 9 so you won't benefit from the graphics goodies that come with DirectX 11. But that does not affect Photoshop, AutoCAD or movie streaming or Minecraft for that matter (MC is using OpenGL). Your problem is most likely a driver issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I know it is a moderate step backwards (still I should have mentioned that point), but he did stress cheap was good and it does tick all the required boxes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

marco_polo wrote: »
    I know it is a moderate step backwards (still I should have mentioned that point), but he did stress cheap was good and it does tick all the required boxes .

But the problem is not the card, it's a problem with OpenGL.

Torqay wrote: »
    But the problem is not the card, it's a problem with OpenGL.

More than likely yes, Which is why I posted links to the relevant drivers in my first post and suggested updating them as a first course of action. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

thanks for the replies .

A little lost with
    it's a problem with OpenGL

i have tried using those drivers but am still getting the same message

Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.
    This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.

anything else i could try?

I have tried using win xp (dual boot ) but game crashes after a couple of mins ,
    runs out onf memory.

thanks for the replies .

A little lost with .

i have tried using those drivers but am still getting the same message

anything else i could try?

I have tried using win xp (dual boot ) but game crashes after a couple of mins ,
    runs out onf memory.

Hmm found this post on the minecraft forum which suggests that the 10.2 drivers don't play nicely with Open GL for x1950 cards. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/690639-bad-video-card-drivers-latest-driver-installed-minecraft-was-working/

(Google reveals it appears to be a common problem with many x1xxx cards Catalyst 10.2 and OpenGl).

The link I posted earlier has a menu option on the right for 'Previous Drivers and Software', you could try a few of the older releases such as 9.11 to see if they work.

I reccomend using DriverSweeper to uninstall the AMD drivers as a normal uninstall often doesn't properly clear all traces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

bit late getting back to this one..
    Tried all the steps above and using drive sweeper. still no go ...
    found an 8400gs in a box in the garage (i had forgotten i had it) stuck it in an works fine.

still thinking about a new one though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi all,

thanks

i use autocad 2013.... it will run just fine on an ati 5450hd 1gb or nvidia 430gt 1gb card which u can buy in pcworld for about €50 (cheaper from online etailers)... provided your psu is 300watt or better it will run just fine. you might want to consider upgrading your RAM to 4gb as autocad 2013 is a memory hog

Advertisement