Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SINCE IMPROVING ADDING MORE INSULATION, WHAT SAVINGS IN OIL DO YE MAKE

• 23-10-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

i had my walls pumped in the spring, and i also added layer of insulation and sealed air leaks as best i could. and also around windows and doors
    now i just have the heating on for an hour in the evenings in ten minuit slots, and the house feels cosy,
    and since we have sun shining in the windows even on the cooler days, the house seems to trap and hold the heat from the sun much better,
    right now i find that my oil consumption is down to about half what it was before i took these steps,
    i am kicking myself that i did not do this some yrs back, but better now than never.
    also the sitting room has a multifuel stove, and the heat lasts longer in there after the fire goes out,
    one of the best things i have ever done,
    i guess i bought about 16 rolls of insulation at about 23.50 per roll, and of course i had the walls pumped at about a thousand euro,
    how much savings have others made,

Comments

goat2 wrote: »
    right now i find that my oil consumption is down to about half what it was before i took these steps,

Is this just anecdotal or do you have actual data?

I would be very interested in the figures

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You got done on the price for the insulation rolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Is this just anecdotal or do you have actual data?

I would be very interested in the figures
    no i dont have data, just that i find that the house stays warm for longer which means i have less slots pulled out on the oil meter,
    i am just an ordinary home owner, and did find the house very cold, and even the fellow who delivers the oil said that i was at the higher end of oil users, and i have only an ordinary family house. when he highlighted this, i decided to do something about it, and am delighted with the results.

paddy147 wrote: »
    You got done on the price for the insulation rolls
    that is the price i paid,
    i did think that it was a bit steep,
    what is the price normally.

Over the past 2 years we have been making inroads into cutting the running costs of the house.

We changed to thermostatic valves on most of the radiators.

Most recently we had a guy in to sort out the gaps in some of the windows.

These 2 changes alone have reduced the heat loss and the draughts.

Still have the heating coming on for the same amount of time, but the boiler turns itself off much sooner now.

Next job to do is swap out the 35w halogen spots (96 in the house) for LED bulbs

• Advertisement

Over the past 2 years we have been making inroads into cutting the running costs of the house.

Still have the heating coming on for the same amount of time, but the boiler turns itself off much sooner now.

Next job to do is swap out the 35w halogen spots (96 in the house) for LED bulbs
    that is something i also find about the boiler, and when it come back on after each break it heats radiators much faster, due to having lagged some of the pipes that were bare since heating was installed,
    all in all i am really satisfied with my lot,
    as for the bulbs that is a huge number, i suppose if you start with the more used places like, hall, kitchen diner, sitting room, bathroom. adding as you go until you reach the last, as they are dear enough to buy, i would not mind getting three that would fit my light fixtures in the hall,stair,landing, they are the old ordinary push in bulb,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Wow, 96.
    As these recessed?
    (recessed spot lights can be a mojor source of heat loss in themselves)

Yeah recessed, and yes they cause a bit of heat loss especially upstairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yeah recessed, and yes they cause a bit of heat loss especially upstairs

Would you not then be better off to remove recessed lights, patch up the holes and install normal or surface mounted lights instead. One way of looking at it is to multiply the area of the recessed "hole" by 92 and imagine a window of this total area open all the time! You will not only save the cost of installing expensive led bulbs (of questionable light quality) but also a lot of fuel used to heat the outside at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 laurenbaby

new to this can someone please tell me how to make my own new thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 laurenbaby

iwejudfh

when you want to start a thread, just click on diy above, and you will see a button called new thread, press that and give the subject or title a name and then go and type away whatever you want in message box, and do the usual just press the submit b utton

Philips Master 4 watt LED.Dimmable too.

fantastic bulb.:)

DSCF9223.jpg
    DSCF5720.jpg
    DSCF9499.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

paddy147 wrote: »
    Philips Master 4 watt LED.Dimmable too.

fantastic bulb.:)

Hi Paddy,

Did you install the new phillips Leds where you previously had halogen bulbs? I bought one of those new phillips GU10 Leds and it would not fit in the housing where i had the old halogen......cheers Dave

daver123 wrote: »
    Hi Paddy,

Did you install the new phillips Leds where you previously had halogen bulbs? I bought one of those new phillips GU10 Leds and it would not fit in the housing where i had the old halogen......cheers Dave

Yes.:)

Philips made a "one off" batch of them for a large Project in Norway.

This project was canceled,and by accident these bulbs were released onto the Irish market.

They housing was/is 1mm bigger than the normal downlight bulb.

Philips recalled al these oversized bulbs and replaced them with the propper sized ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

I must have one of the norway ones here...cheers

daver123 wrote: »
    I must have one of the norway ones here...cheers

Also fit a fire rated and insulated cover and also insulate the ceiling void too.

See my pics on previous page.

Advertisement