Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farewell Ceefax

• 23-10-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭

Ceefax finishes up tonight at 23:30 with the switchover to digital on BBC Northern Ireland. Not strictly a soccer topic, but I', sure many will have fond memories of checking scores and news via page 302

Farewell old pal

A5z026QCcAAlqmL.jpg

562777_347925821931754_114682465256092_987481_804374258_n-618x425.jpg

ceefax.jpg

article-2221980-15A4BFE6000005DC-444_634x448.jpg

63644556_63644555.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

More of an Aertel man myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ceefax finishes up tonight at 23:30 with the switchover to digital on BBC Northern Ireland. Not strictly a soccer topic, but I', sure many will have fond memories of checking scores and news via page 302

Farewell old pal

A5z026QCcAAlqmL.jpg

562777_347925821931754_114682465256092_987481_804374258_n-618x425.jpg

ceefax.jpg

article-2221980-15A4BFE6000005DC-444_634x448.jpg

63644556_63644555.jpg

It was always a bad day when I would need to check aertel for latest scores, took about half an hour for them to update.

Ceefax was usually on the ball though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought they stopped doing football stories ages ago?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I thought Ceefax died ages ago. Is Aertel going to survive much longer does anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure BBCi does the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Pro. F wrote: »
    I thought Ceefax died ages ago. Is Aertel going to survive much longer does anybody know?

Nope tonight when Northern Ireland switches to digital ceefax dies, aertel I say goes tomorrow on your tv when rte goes digital

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

324 for the premier league results wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Page has changed now.

jsa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

mike65 wrote: »
    Sure BBCi does the same thing.

I haven't bothered with digital tv.

I'll miss that 1980's looking internet substitute :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Page 312 for all your gossip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ah i spent many a match pre-internet access waiting on the scores to change for big matches. It was a fine service. I still use Aertel for the tv listings. Its simple and straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Melion wrote: »
    324 for the premier league results wasn't it?

wasnt that the Premier League Table?

Think 316 was the scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

:)338 for the gossip column! A truly great service and as I posted on another thread:
    "Also when the signal was going poor and it w&s r"a*ly ha(d to kn!w w£at was act?ally happ<nin%"

Good times

:)338 for the gossip column! A truly great service and as I posted on another thread:
    "Also when the signal was going poor and it w&s r"a*ly ha(d to kn!w w£at was act?ally happ<nin%"

Good times

Worst thing was when the signal was poor on the latest score / results page.

Remember checking the team news every Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Worst thing was when the signal was poor on the latest score / results page.

Remember checking the team news every Friday.

That was awful stuff!!

Man Utd *-( Arsenal
    Chelsea &%$ Liverpool

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

That was awful stuff!!

Man Utd *-( Arsenal
    Chelsea &%$ Liverpool

:D

Chelsea smash &% past a hapless Liverpool who grab a late consolation $.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

will be missed. the excitement of going beyond the results from 316 and hitting top goalscorers in each division. The dread when you didn't finish reading a subpage on 312 and have to wait 8 subpages to get it back. The clicking on to check sports yet being bold and brave hitting the yellow button to bring you to 500 entertainment. Or the stupidity of clicking red and seeing what depressing ill wind has struck the news.

For those of us born in the early 80s/late 70s ceefax was a gem. Just simple text on a screen but saved the hassle of having to wait for Final Score. For all the joys of the internet, even to this day if you want to check whats on the box the best way was 600 on ceefax or 180 on aertel. Sometimes simplicity is best.

Fare thee well ceefax, you were a valued friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I remember playing pool with ceefax on in the corner and waiting for the scored to refresh, that's back before BSkyB and "soccer saturday". Sometimes they'd have the wrong team scoring, only for it to be amended the next time page 3/4 came round.

If the sub-page numbers suddenly went from 2 to 3, or 3 to 4, you knew someone had scored, just not on the page you were looking at.

The way Aertel used to put the Irish goalscorers in green.

On a side, kind of related, note. Does anyone remember the pink Herald that used to come out late on a Saturday, with all the match reports in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Farewell...great service in its day.

Was it Gary Linekar who while criticising Wimbledon said that you could only watch them play on ceefax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    On a side, kind of related, note. Does anyone remember the pink Herald that used to come out late on a Saturday, with all the match reports in it?

Of course, used to hang around the shop after mass on a Saturday evening waiting for it to be delivered :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Of course, used to hang around the shop after mass on a Saturday evening waiting for it to be delivered :o

my memory of that paper is sitting in Beschoffs on Westmoreland St in about 94, with a ten team accumulator. I'm reading out my teams in the bet, my mate is calling the results.

9 up, and Arbroath let me down, conceding a 94th minute equalizer.

Nearly choked on my cod. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I remember when my mate's father got the multi channel in,he had BBC 1 and 2,Saturday afternoons used be spent at their house Ceefax on the telly checking the scores of the matches Ceefax used be faster then Aertel for putting up scores and at that time it used show the scorers as well.

RIP Ceefax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pre Internet, Ceefax really was the quickest way to source information. I suppose you have to be of a certain age range to have used it heavily back in the day - goodnight sweet prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

will be missed. the excitement of going beyond the results from 316 and hitting top goalscorers in each division. The dread when you didn't finish reading a subpage on 312 and have to wait 8 subpages to get it back. The clicking on to check sports yet being bold and brave hitting the yellow button to bring you to 500 entertainment. Or the stupidity of clicking red and seeing what depressing ill wind has struck the news.

For those of us born in the early 80s/late 70s ceefax was a gem. Just simple text on a screen but saved the hassle of having to wait for Final Score. For all the joys of the internet, even to this day if you want to check whats on the box the best way was 600 on ceefax or 180 on aertel. Sometimes simplicity is best.

Fare thee well ceefax, you were a valued friend.

I was born in the late 80s and I was partial to a bit of Ceefax too! When I was a teenager, every day after school I'd be straight onto 302. And the gossip column (I think it was 338?) was great too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Some of the best games of football I ever watched were on ceefax. Sure I couldn't see the players, the pitch or the ball but in my mind the 3-2 wins went down in folklore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

For what is happening to Aertel

http://www.rte.ie/aertel//desktopxhtml/301-1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Errortel tbh

Stupid service that gives the incorrect scores.

I left Tolka park one night thinking Bohs had won a match, when they'd lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Good times

I remember reading a page during Euro 2000 which came up mostly garbled except for the last line which said 'Maradona could do with an Orange'

We were completely baffled by this - was Diego suffering a severe Vitamin C deficency? Was it a subtle putdown of the great man? We kept checking for hours until the signal improved and all was revealed
    Speaking ahead of the Uefa executive committee meeting, Platini said that Zidane was the only member of the 1998 World Cup winning side, who had improved since then.

"The others haven't. They are getting the benefits of Zizou's aura," said Platini.

"Zidane does some extraordinary things, it's true. But you have to put everything in context. What Zidane does with a ball, Maradona could do with an orange," he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/euro2000/teams/france/814529.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Good times

LOL.

The gossip column used to go into overdrive during the transfer windows, you'd have about 15 pages to go through. Hated when it use to open on say page 6/15 and you had to wait an age until it got around to the juicy stuff on pages 1-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Glad to see its still going, even though as Des said it can be often incorrect. Can be handy for getting some GAA scores, early pre-season competition, and Rackard/Ring/Meagher cups in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It will be missed. I think 356 was the letters page. I remember being delighted seeing one of my letters appear on it once.

Always page 302 to start. then over to Channel 4 for some Digitister. Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Liam O wrote: »
    More of an Aertel man myself.

Did you find the 10 minute delay added to the excitement?

Channel 4 was good with their video games stuff. It's a different world now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I lived on this back in the day, was a great service. Not sure if it was the model of TV we had, but I remember it being possible to have a little ceefax ticker on the TV so you could watch the TV programme and the ticker would update when a team scored. I think you had to go into the see through mode, was a great feature.

• Advertisement
Advertisement