Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C programming Help

Options
  • 24-10-2012 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i have recently started an online college course and one of the subjects is c programming , the subject is moving too fast for me and i am been left behind as i have to fit everything in and work shift, i have no problem in the other subjects it is just this one has me lost and it is getting on top of me.

Can any body here recommend a good short course that will get me up to speed or know anybody that is good at giving grinds(im in Dublin) , i need all the help i can get :(

Thanks LB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

lb1981 wrote: »
    Hi,

i have recently started an online college course and one of the subjects is c programming , the subject is moving too fast for me and i am been left behind as i have to fit everything in and work shift, i have no problem in the other subjects it is just this one has me lost and it is getting on top of me.

Can any body here recommend a good short course that will get me up to speed or know anybody that is good at giving grinds(im in Dublin) , i need all the help i can get :(

Thanks LB

If its online do you not just do it at your own pace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

If its online do you not just do it at your own pace?

No the classes are weekly so if you fall behind it is hard to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ok but if you dont have time to study the weekly material how is a grind going to help.

You will still need to go through the same material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Ok but if you dont have time to study the weekly material how is a grind going to help.

You will still need to go through the same material?
    The lecturer is moving too fast , i need someone to take me back to basics with it and go from there at a slower pase till i get an understanding and can work on my own , al ot of the lads on the course seem to have programming experience, i dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Go to your local library and get out 'C for Dummies' or something along those lines. Alternatively search google for 'C tutorials for beginners', or just download an e-book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The best C book out there is the following: http://www.amazon.com/C-Primer-Plus-5th-Edition/dp/0672326965/

I recommend buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yohanosullivan

I found this pretty helpful when I was doing C programming, its a youtube tutorial but he goes through everything slowly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b00HsZvg-V0

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

A Guide to C Programming by Paul Kelly

I found this to be a good book (long time ago now but C is still C) and there are a number of exercises after each chapter. It really is all about practice. It covers the main topics that you'll require (I'd be pretty sure of that).

The problem with doing a course like that is that the pace is too fast especially if you are new to programming. I was doing great up until "Hello World"!, downhill fast from there. Whatever you do, start studying it soon - do not get left behind.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sakiboy

If money is tight , there are a few free c programming tutorials on www.alison.com .
    Just because it may seem everyone else has programming experience does not mean that they will be better programmers than you .Hang in there . Make the effort . Give yourself a chance . practice . practice . practice . Good luck . SB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

A really good book: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-C-Programming-3rd-Edition/dp/1565923065/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351536230&sr=8-1&keywords=C+programming+o%27reilly

My advice:

Programming is easy once you stop thinking about the language and start thinking about the problem in plain English, so write your programs in English first ("pseudocode") and then translate them into C.

C is a lovely language btw. Don't be scared of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭carveone

There might be people who do grinds in the Universities too. I could prob do them but not sure if I have time any more (working in Maynooth, living in Kilbarrack). I'd suggest just asking pertinent questions here. There's quite a few experienced C programmers on here (Like me if I want to toot my own horn) and straightforward questions tend to be answered awful fast sometimes!

It'll get to pointers, it always does. I have a little tutorial I made up on that if you're lost :p

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

A really good book: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-C-Programming-3rd-Edition/dp/1565923065/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351536230&sr=8-1&keywords=C+programming+o%27reilly

My advice:

Programming is easy once you stop thinking about the language and start thinking about the problem in plain English, so write your programs in English first ("pseudocode") and then translate them into C.

C is a lovely language btw. Don't be scared of it.

I'd second the above though I'd recommend the Head First book to a beginner. It does a great job of providing a good explanation of the concepts necessary to program in C.

Advertisement