Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pissed Off With St. Vincent De Paul

• 24-10-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

I've had two opportunities recently to try and help those less fortunate then myself over the last couple of months via SVP and both times SVP have not taken me up on my offers.Firstly, my parents were changing their dining room table and 6 chairs that were in perfect condition by the way.Instead of throwing them to the dump I rang SVP in Waterford if they wanted them as there always supposedly on the look out for furniture to give to those in need to brighten up their homes.There reply was that they didnt want it because they had no way of collecting it.Secondly, I was getting rid of my old 32 '' Philps TV which was in perfect working order, I rang them again, the lady said that they didnt have any way of collecting it, where upon I offered to deliver it to them or to someone whom may use it.She said that she'd pass on my details to some fella who'd contact me within a day or so.A week later I got rids of the TV as no one bothered ringing back.Any one else got similar experiences with them ?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You shouldn't have given them your paragraphs.

I'd would have kept them.

I give them my old slacks, never had a complaint back yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

vixdname wrote: »
    Secondly, I was getting rid of my old 32 '' Philps TV which was in perfect working order,

Dude, you could have thrown in a Saorview box. She'd take it then. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Lions club do that sort of thing I think op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

You're pissed off with the Waterford branch of SVDP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You tried to land some unfortunate ****er that's so poor they need help from the SVDP with a bill for a tv licence?

Eyeing up a cheap house are you? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

You're pissed off with the Waterford branch of SVDP.

Yes, Waterford branch, thats who I rang both times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Had a similar problem with Focus Ireland some years ago.
    Had practically new furniture, cot, pram, bed(spare room never slept in)soft furnishings etc(literally reams of stuff) they said "nah, cant get anyone to collect it but if you want to deliver it to us we might take it":eek:

Went on Donedeal instead :D

humberklog wrote: »
    You shouldn't have given them your paragraphs.

I'd would have kept them.

I give them my old slacks, never had a complaint back yet...

Aawww poor you, do your reading skills leave you down if theres not big spaces between sentences ?
    I'm in work and have to write my messages fast before boss see it, hence no paragraphs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

St. Vincent De Paul have been doing charitable work for years, & have helped many thousands of people who find themselves in difficulty.

You were told that they didn't have anyone to pick the furniture up - they would have no reason to lie. Even if they were to pick it up where would they store it? Unless they had a specific person who they knew were in need of it straight away, your problem would simply become their problem as regards storage.

Charity shops don't even accept unwanted electrical goods. They would all have to be tested for safety reasons. This would involve paying a qualified person to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

VdeP shop in Cork were happy to get a TV off me plus other assorted electrical goods.

I do drop them off at the shop though as they have enough to be doing besides collecting my charitable donations.

• Advertisement

St. Vincent De Paul have been doing charitable work for years, & have helped many thousands of people who find themselves in difficulty.

You were told that they didn't have anyone to pick the furniture up - they would have no reason to lie. Even if they were to pick it up where would they store it? Unless they had a specific person who they knew were in need of it straight away, your problem would simply become their problem as regards storage.

Charity shops don't even accept unwanted electrical goods. They would all have to be tested for safety reasons. This would involve paying a qualified person to do this.

The table and chairs were not electrical
    If SVP dont want furniture etc they should stop asking for it on their literature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

like the prisoners they give cigarettes to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

If SVP dont want furniture etc they should stop asking for it on their literature
    For sure it's tricky. they run on a voluntary basis and 'man with van' aint always possible/ available. re the tV, could just be the voluntary staff were'nt available. a lot depends on the vol staff in an area.

best thing you can do is volunteer and start running the place better. :)

like the prisoners they give cigarettes to?
    I hope you're not suggesting that a Keynesian fiscal injection into the prison economy is a bad thing???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I didn't imply that they were, but thanks for the extra information. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Op,
    Really does sound like you were trying to off-load crap onto SVP rather than paying to dump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

You think that's bad OP? I once cooked too much venison to go with the game gravy so had to dispose of it. NOT EVEN ONE charitable organisation responded to my overtly loud complaints to the caterers!

Last time I try to help let me tell you!

(They don't have the means to store stuff for long. They will take it if they know someone who could use it though.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Aawww poor you, do your reading skills leave you down if theres not big spaces between sentences ?
    I'm in work and have to write my messages fast before boss see it, hence no paragraphs

Well I'm pretty sure that's not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You can always put stuff on adverts.ie in the free section. You'd be surprised to find things usually find a deserving and appreciative home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Whatever you do .......... don't blast them with it. You can get carded for that.

• Advertisement

Op,
    Really does sound like you were trying to off-load crap onto SVP rather than paying to dump it.
    hmmm. that's a bit harsh, no?

I mean a free online advert placing offering them for a tenner or similar would clear the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

My local VDP have a van and collect stuff. I can understand why some shops wouldn't, I've volunteered in a charity shop and some people basically use it as a dumping ground for their unwanted rubbish which cannot be sold on.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Well I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Yes its true, its called the night shift 22:00 to 6:00, why lie about something like that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People often ask me to do a booze run for them in return for a turkey they got from SVP for Christmas, mostly ones with families too. :(

I don't do booze runs, and I feel very uncomfortable donating anything to SVP.

Op,

Table and 6 chairs, not a scratch, tv with remote, in perfect working order
    Maybe crap to you, but theres plenty of less well off people out there that wld have,been glad of it.
    I wldnt try off load anything that I thought was ****e to a charity, but if they did maybe you should see if theyd take you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Now there's an excuse I've never heard before.

I didn't have time to click the space bar.

You realise it takes a lot longer to read something if it isn't typed properly?

You could have saved yourself some time as you re-read your text by spacing it out a bit more as you went along.

Does your boss peer over your shoulders while you work ?

As for the TV, Do SVP accept electrical goods. I know a lot of charity shops don't.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    For sure it's tricky. they run on a voluntary basis and 'man with van' aint always possible/ available. re the tV, could just be the voluntary staff were'nt available. a lot depends on the vol staff in an area.

best thing you can do is volunteer and start running the place better. :)

Now thats a good idea especially coming from you, well done, keep up the hard work at trying to be witty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

.Secondly, I was getting rid of my old 32 '' Philps TV which was in perfect working order, I rang them again, the lady said that they didnt have any way of collecting it, where upon I offered to deliver it to them or to someone whom may use it.She said that she'd pass on my details to some fella who'd contact me within a day or so.A week later I got rids of the TV as no one bothered ringing back
    Maybe she didn't want to take it because they'd need to purchase a tv license, probably cost more than what the tv sells for.

Now thats a good idea especially coming from you, well done, keep up the hard work at trying to be witty

Jesus Christ OP - You're hard to please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I'm sorry but "I rang SVP in Waterford ", and I'm going to be shot down because of this... "dining room table and 6 chairs " and..."I was getting rid of my old 32 '' Philps TV ".... Two things wrong there...

Lapin wrote: »
    Now there's an excuse I've never heard before.

I didn't have time to click the space bar.

You realise it takes a lot longer to read something if it isn't typed properly?

You could have saved yourself some time as you re-read your text by spacing it out a bit more as you went along.

Does your boss peer over your shoulders while you work ?

As for the TV, Do SVP accept electrical goods. I know a lot of charity shops don't.

So no one is supposed to.work the night shift ? And if they say they are they must be lying ?
    What kind of idiotic idea is that. The pc I'm on is behind one of our lines and a boss can walk behind me due to the position of the pc.
    Obviously you dont work yourself since you have so much time to spend at 2:30am trying to prove how smart you are. Go get a job any come back when you know what your talking about

If you want a charity that asks a lot but delivers little try cancer research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I dunno why the OP is getting a hard time here, I have heard a few people complaining about charities not accepting items and I'm sure there are some people in need of a table and chairs.
    I understand the collection bit but if they really wanted the stuff they would arrange collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

ArtSmart wrote: »
    hmmm. that's a bit harsh, no?

I mean a free online advert placing offering them for a tenner or similar would clear the stuff.

I know what you mean. Op could of advertised as free and easily got rid of. Which would mean the op is a nice guy from trying to give to the SVP. But.... Maybe I am just a cynic or maybe I am just reading things the way they are. I can't say whats certain nor can anyone else.

But one thing I can say for certain is that people do whats right & easiest for them ;) So there really is only 1 of 2 things at play here:

- Op had good intentions but SVP thought he was trying to offload.
    - OP was trying to offload and SVP knew that.

In any case SVP wouldn't accept - wonder why that is ;)

kneemos wrote: »
    If you want a charity that asks a lot but delivers little try cancer research

Do you not mean "if you want a charity that asks little but delivers a lot"? cancer research??

please tell me you're just after mixing up your words?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but "I rang SVP in Waterford ", and I'm going to be shot down because of this... "dining room table and 6 chairs " and..."I was getting rid of my old 32 '' Philps TV ".... Two things wrong there...

Svp Waterford 051 872 708...yes I rang them
    6 chairs and 1 dining room table..yes.correct
    The phrase ,rid of, used lightly as I didnt require it any more and wanted it hone, hence my devision to see if some one less fortunate wanted it

So your two things wrong are ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I dunno why the OP is getting a hard time here, I have heard a few people complaining about charities not accepting items and I'm sure there are some people in need of a table and chairs.
    I understand the collection bit but if they really wanted the stuff they would arrange collection.
    The op is giving more grief then he's getting

Resources mean these charities can't just take anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    The op is giving more grief then he's getting

Resources mean these charities can't just take anything

He has no choice but defend himself, posters are having a go over his job, his typing etc.

I know they don't take everything but I don't think he was offloading crap either.

Svp Waterford 051 872 708...yes I rang them
    6 chairs and 1 dining room table..yes.correct
    The phrase ,rid of, used lightly as I didnt require it any more and wanted it hone, hence my devision to see if some one less fortunate wanted it

So your two things wrong are ?

1: Yeah, every person that is in need has room for 6 chairs and a table in their kitchen

and 2: the dream is for every needy person to have a CRT 32" TV....

For God's sake!

So no one is supposed to.work the night shift ? And if they say they are they must be lying ?
    What kind of idiotic idea is that. The pc I'm on is behind one of our lines and a boss can walk behind me due to the position of the pc.
    Obviously you dont work yourself since you have so much time to spend at 2:30am trying to prove how smart you are. Go get a job any come back when you know what your talking about

I'm at work right now.

I work at a residential home for children with special needs, so that their families can have some respite.

Don't be getting your knickers in a twist now and start making wild assumptions about me and others simply because we didn't all fall in behind you on your rant against SVP.

• Advertisement

Do you not mean "if you want a charity that asks little but delivers a lot"? cancer research??

please tell me you're just after mixing up your words?

No.What have they delivered?

I know what you mean. Op could of advertised as free and easily got rid of. Which would mean the op is a nice guy from trying to give to the SVP. But.... Maybe I am just a cynic or maybe I am just reading things the way they are. I can't say whats certain nor can anyone else.

But one thing I can say for certain is that people do whats right & easiest for them ;) So there really is only 1 of 2 things at play here:

- Op had good intentions but SVP thought he was trying to offload.
    - OP was trying to offload and SVP knew that.

In any case SVP wouldn't accept - wonder why that is ;)

Op was trying to do the right thing and give perfectly good furniture and perfectly working tv to a charity that may have been able to give them to some one or some family thst cld fo with it and maybe make an otherwise hard day a but better for them.
    You lack of faith in genuine human empathy for those less fortunate days more aboute you as a person then anything else

1: Yeah, every person that is in need has room for 6 chairs and a table in their kitchen

and 2: the dream is for every needy person to have a CRT 32" TV....

For God's sake!

1 you cannot speak for everyone in need and 2, who said it was a crt ?

kneemos wrote: »
    No.What have they delivered?

Is that a rhetorical question, or am I just stoopid?

WHAT?!?!?!

Is that a rhetorical question, or am I just stoopid?

WHAT?!?!?!

Eh

1 you cannot speak for everyone in need and 2, who said it was a crt ?

21: I can speak for the needy...why? becuase I was there and came from a family that resembled the Waltons..

And 2: If you're giving away either an LCD or LED, in fact, a plasma TV, I'll take it. So please:/

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm at work right now.

I work at a residential home for children with special needs, so that their families can have some respite.

Don't be getting your knickers in a twist now and start making wild assumptions about me and others simply because we didn't all fall in behind you on your rant against SVP.

So just because your in a house where everyones asleep and thsts your job no one else can work the night shift in a pharma plant where other people can see our pc screens.
    By the way, its good to see my tax is being well spent paying you to act the smart ass on boards

21: I can speak for the needy...why? becuase I was there and came from a family that resembled the Waltons..

And 2: If you're giving away either an LCD or LED, in fact, a plasma TV, I'll take it. So please:/

Im sure you would have been glad of a perfect crt in your day if thi.gs were thst bad for you growing up, and if people didnt have enough room for 5 or 6 chairs, I would have gladly have given them whatever amount fitted their home

Im sure you would have been glad of a perfect crt in your day if thi.gs were thst bad for you growing up, and if people didnt have enough room for 5 or 6 chairs, I would have gladly have given them whatever amount fitted their home

That is so condescending and do you know something? I'm ashamed of myself for actually resorting to answering your posts. You have no idea!

So just because your in a house where everyones asleep and thats your job, no one else can work the night shift in a pharma plant where other people can see our pc screens.
    By the way, its good to see my tax is being well spent paying you to act the smart ass on boards

Where did I ever say I don't think that people work night shifts in pharma plants or elsewhere ?

I simply noted your excuse about not having the time to use paragraphs,
    because lets be honest here, it was cobblers wasn't it ?

Oh by the way. I pay taxes too.

Back on topic, I actually agree with some of what you say about SVP.
    I just think you went about expressing it in an awful cack handed manner.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement