Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pissed Off With St. Vincent De Paul

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Do you not mean "if you want a charity that asks little but delivers a lot"? cancer research??

please tell me you're just after mixing up your words?
    No, I think he's serious. People seem to reckon if you throw enough money at a problem it will go away. Research in biology doesn't quite work like that.

If you want to directly help cancer sufferers donate to a hospice or something like that, funding research projects is long term with potentially greater success but also risk of failure - doesn't mean it was in vain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

I can see why the OP is annoyed as they had good items that could have went to those in need. Did you get in touch with them after the week had passed? Maybe they just forgot to ring you back?

A close family friend works for the SvP and he goes out of his way to do his utmost for anyone he can help, so I wouldn't paint all the SvPs with the same brush. As mentioned earlier, you seem to have been unfortunate to have had difficulties with that Waterford branch.

Also, just being awkward, but the SvP doesn't look for furniture to 'brighten up their homes', they're not Argos. :pac:

All in all, it's a shame that you had a bad experience but I hope it doesn't put you off being a good samartian again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

That is so condescending and do you know something? I'm ashamed of myself for actually resorting to answering your posts. You have no idea!

Sorry, but you obviously have a chip on your shoulder regarding your past.
    Thats for you to deal with.
    If you refer to my original post you'll see my actions were done completely in order to help someone less well off then myself, and with no alterior motived whatsoever.
    You were the one being smart about a 32 inch etc etc, thst wasnt you trying to be condescending no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

vixdname wrote: »
    Sorry, but you obviously have a chip on your shoulder regarding your past.

Excuse me...Are you for real? seriously? Good Christ, a "chip on my shoulder", you really do not get it, do you? yeah, you win.... I'm like "WOW" ha...good luck with your life!

Lapin wrote: »
    Where did I ever say I don't think that people work night shifts in pharma plants or elsewhere ?

I simply noted your excuse about not having the time to use paragraphs,
    because lets be honest here, it was cobblers wasn't it ?

Oh by the way. I pay taxes too.

Back on topic, I actually agree with some of what you say about SVP.
    I just think you went about expressing it in an awful cack handed manner.

Why is saying I work the night shift cobblers ?
    I just dont get why some people on here cant underdtand thsy some people work nights

I can see why the OP is annoyed as they had good items that could have went to those in need. Did you get in touch with them after the week had passed? Maybe they just forgot to ring you back?

A close family friend works for the SvP and he goes out of his way to do his utmost for anyone he can help, so I wouldn't paint all the SvPs with the same brush. As mentioned earlier, you seem to have been unfortunate to have had difficulties with that Waterford branch.

Also, just being awkward, but the SvP doesn't look for furniture to 'brighten up their homes', they're not Argos. :pac:

All in all, it's a shame that you had a bad experience but I hope it doesn't put you off being a good samartian again.

Not at all, where I work some of us sign up to have a weekly charity deduction taken from our pay and at christmas all money gatheted is divided amongst local charitys, its good to be able to help

Excuse me...Are you for real? seriously? Good Christ, a "chip on my shoulder", you really do not get it, do you? yeah, you win.... I'm like "WOW" ha...good luck with your life!

Perhaps inhaling and exhaling into a paper bag may help you calm down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Why is saying I work the night shift cobblers ?

Thats not what I said and you know it.

This is what I said -
    I simply noted your excuse about not having the time to use paragraphs,
    because lets be honest here, it was cobblers wasn't it ?

If you're going to twist what I said by quoting me, at least use the right quote.
    For someone who said they didn't have time to use paragraphs because they're at work and their boss might catch them on Boards, you've spent a lot of time here since arguing the toss.

Face it OP - You opened a thread about a very credible organisation by painting them in a bad light.
    You say, and I quote the thread title, that you're "Pissed off with St. Vincent de Paul".
    You then go on to explain that its because they didn't take some unwanted furniture and a tv off your hands.
    And then you finish up with a question offering others the opportunity to agree with you, "Any one else got similar experiences with them ?"
    A loaded question designed only to make you feel more smug about yourself, and one that cannot possibly invite any constructive replies.

And now, because not everyone agreed with you, you're getting píssed off again. Only this time with us.

I'm willing to bet that for every person like you who comes onto the internet to moan about a non profit making charitable institution unable to meet your expectations, there are thousands of others who simply accept that not everything always goes according to plan and just get on with it and find another solution.

Perhaps OP, its yourself that you should be pissed off with.

Thats not what I said and you know it.

This is what I said -

If you're going to twist what I said by quoting me, at least use the right quote.
    For someone who said they didn't have time to use paragraphs because they're at work and their boss might catch them on Boards, you've spent a lot of time here since arguing the toss.

And if your boss was around you'd be able to waste so much of your time on boards in front of them would you ???
    Then again, a public servant....your boss would be probably be sitting next to you

Face it OP - You opened a thread about a very credible organisation by painting them in a bad light.
    You say, and I quote the thread title, that you're "Pissed off with St. Vincent de Paul]".
    You then go on to explain that its because they didn't take some unwanted furniture and a tv off your hands.

And then you
    finish up with a question offering others the opportunity to agree with you, "Any one else got similar experiences with them ?"

I just wanted to know if this was an isolated incident or more widespread, thats all, simple really

A loaded question designed only to make you feel more smug about yourself, and one that cannot possibly invite any constructive replies.

Constructive like your ones ??? I think not
    And now, because not everyone agreed with you, you're getting píssed off again. Only this time with us.

Not pissed off in the least, am enjoying reading your evermore ridiculous rants - quite entertaining

I'm willing to bet that for every person like you who comes onto the internet to moan about a non profit making charitable institution unable to meet your expectations, there are thousands of others who simply accept that not everything always goes according to plan and just get on with it and find another solution.
    Perhaps OP, its yourself that you should be pissed off with

Not in the least - my conscience is clear

Now, please go check on the special needs children that are under your care at the moment and refrain from entering into an argument in which you're only success thus far is in showing yourself to be stupid.
    As a tax payer I'd rather know that our states special needs children are being given the utmost care when under state supervision and going on the amount of ridiculous posts youve put on this thread tonight I believe you're not giving those children the attention they require, go do your job.

• Advertisement

Not in the least - my conscience is clear

Now, please go check on the special needs children that are under your care at the moment and refrain from entering into an argument in which you're only success thus far is in showing yourself to be stupid.
    As a tax payer I'd rather know that our states special needs children are being given the utmost care when under state supervision and going on the amount of ridiculous posts youve put on this thread tonight I believe you're not giving those children the attention they require, go do your job.

What, do you think I should wake them up to ask them if they're ok ?

By the way, the children in my care tonight are not under state supervision.
    And you'll be glad to hear that not one cent of your taxes goes towards their respite care.

Not for the first time tonight, you are caught with your facts down around your ankles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pychofairy

Remember years ago Ryanair had a huge room full of lost baggage with no way to trace who owned any of it. The room had to be cleared for office space so after the golf clubs and fishing rods "walked" SVP was asked did they want about maybe 100 suitcases full of good clothes. They didn't want them as too hard to go through so all the stuff was shipped off to the dump.
    Seemed a huge waste.

pychofairy wrote: »
    Remember years ago Ryanair had a huge room full of lost baggage with no way to trace who owned any of it. The room had to be cleared for office space so after the golf clubs and fishing rods "walked" SVP was asked did they want about maybe 100 suitcases full of good clothes. They didn't want them as too hard to go through so all the stuff was shipped off to the dump.
    Seemed a huge waste.

Source ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Aawww poor you, do your reading skills leave you down if theres not big spaces between sentences ?
    I'm in work and have to write my messages fast before boss see it, hence no paragraphs

Pot. Kettle. Black. There is some poor private sector employer going to go to the wall because you are posting when you're meant to be working. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

St V de P are very well known but have picked up some criticism over the years.

Like giving cigarettes to prisoners mentioned already

OP, your stuff is gone now but your local Lions club would have happily taken the stuff, especially now approaching Christmas.

They are locally run, not a big national organization like St V de P

One of the members would have storage space while they sort out where to donate the stuff to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The reality is we don't know what 'poverty is'. Just to clarify though, there are some genuine people who need help.

Take a look around you, who doesn't have a widescreen TV, a car, a mobile phone etc, in what is considered the depraved locations. It is most certainly not just the people living in the well to do areas. I think the people in most need are the workers at the very bottom of the scale.

The local St. V de Paul pay the subscription for some families for the kids to join the local soccer club. I question the real need for this, and I further question that the said families could not rustle up the money themselves to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My mother phones svp a few years ago because she was changing her dining room table. The table she was offering was an 8 seater solid oak table. They didn't want it because she wasn't giving matching chairs with it. She ended up selling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Ok to get back on track here . Yes op you are not the first to say this about the vdp in Waterford and it is a sad reality that they are just not interested or don't have the facilities to collect .

On a another note i i can tell you of a charity that would be more than happy to take the items you have listed . They will send a van out to collect the items and are very grateful for any help . There is a new charity shop down where the old smyths used to be for Waterford Autism . The proceeds go to a Waterford based charity which is run completely by volunteers and parents of kids on the Autism spectrum so every penny goes to the kids . They are looking for furniture etc and more than willing to collect and will send a van . Just to keep in mind for the future if needed that they are there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This thread is all over the place, OP taking furniture can be difficult for some charaties...if you want to help SVP then put your furniture on done deal or some other site and sell it and donate the money...if its a reasonable price it will sell....the SVP dose a lot of good work.

On a another note some charities put our different press realises just to get their name in the media it a cheaper way of getting the name out there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kneemos wrote: »
    If you want a charity that asks a lot but delivers little try cancer research
    amateurs

Lance Armstrong's charity just promotes awareness of cancer. That's delivering even less.

My view on cancer research is that there is a lot of govt / big pharma money in it already.

Hospices on the other had could do with more funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The Vincent de Paul seems to be in the main staffed by elderly volunteers who do great work and give of their own time. Of the ones I have met I don't really see any of them hefting solid oak dining tables into vans and sundry stuff in and out of their cars. They'd probably break a hip or two.

Do they have paid employees? It might be worth their while to set up a couple of lads with a van and work out a rota of collections and deliveries amongst a group of local societies. Or perhaps younger people could get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

My local SVP shop has a lot of furniture and it's all good quality sets in good condition. There isn't an inch of spare space in the place. It's not surprising that they turn stuff down tbh. A lot of people seem to think they've a right to use charity organisations as free refuse collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

SVP can't just conjure up a van to collect stuff or an extra room to store stuff, and the OP was trying to be charitable and donate good stuff. There is no bad guy here. Although I would say OP that you need to lower your expectations a tad. They're a voluntary organisation, they don't have the resources to jump into action when you snap your fingers.

There are scummers in my area who really take advantage of Vincent's. They go on the piss every night around Christmas and then go crying to SVP to get presents for their kids and the makings of a Christmas dinner. Same thing happens around Communion time. It makes me sick. One year when I was a kid Vincent's really helped my parents at Christmas so I know from experience that they do great work.

Seeing as most of this thread has been spent breaking the "don't be a dick" rule. I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement